Date: 22-05-24  Time: 23:07 pm

Author Topic: 2004/Gen 1 engine dying in gear (solved)  (Read 2844 times)

Dalejohns

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
2004/Gen 1 engine dying in gear (solved)
« on: 21 July 2016, 08:25:37 am »
Hi all, long time lurker here with an issue I'm hoping one of you can assist with. Recently had an issue develop with my 04 1000 - bike starts and runs perfectly fine but as soon as I drop it into first the engine stalls and dies.
 Obvious first thought were side stand switch and clutch adjustment - spent 20 minutes adjusting the clutch from tons of free play to none at all and it seemed to make no difference whatsoever.
 I then pulled off the front sprocket cover to check out the kickstand switch and, lo and behold, I've been clumsy refitting it last time I took it off and the cable has worn against the chain, completely tattered. Seems like this is the obvious culprit. New switch off eBay (as well as new oil pressure sensor as this was damaged too, and front sprocket nut which had gone walkabouts... >.>) And put it all back together and...no change.
 Now, the side stand switch I bought had a different connector on the end (seems there's two variants from same year same model? :S) so I cut the connector off the old switch and crimped some spade terminals on. Being just a simple switch I assume this should work just as the correct connector would but I'm happy to be corrected & in the meantime am looking for the correct switch anyway.

Beyond this, anyone have any ideas?

Posted this in reddit/r/fixxit at https://www.reddit.com/r/Fixxit/comments/4tvkxp/04_fazer_1000_dies_in_gear_followup/  might be something I've missed there

Cheers
« Last Edit: 21 July 2016, 09:44:40 pm by Dalejohns »

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
Re: 2004/Gen 1 engine dying in gear
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2016, 08:38:57 am »
Still sounds like a problem with the side stand switch to me. I would try bypassing the switch first to see if that makes any difference.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2016, 08:48:09 am »
Apart from the side stand switch there is also a micro switch operated by the clutch lever on the FZS 600-I assume theres also  the same type of switch on the thou?. Worth checking?

ram

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2016, 09:25:53 am »
tried bypassing the sidestand switch by linking out the wires?
cut off relay ok?
this post may be more help
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=8584.0

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2016, 02:07:07 pm »
As said side stand switch and clutch switch part of interlock system.
Follow wires back from side stand switch to the two connectors and disconnect, join connector together with link wire.
Side stand switch is a made contact when in up position

Hope you get her sorted

Des

Dalejohns

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2016, 02:54:29 pm »
So first check is to jump wire the side stand switch I guess. Clutch switch makes sense too, can this be tested in the same way? & Any way I can check the switch relays?

Thanks

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2016, 03:51:37 pm »
So first check is to jump wire the side stand switch I guess. Clutch switch makes sense too, can this be tested in the same way? & Any way I can check the switch relays?

Thanks

Yep side stand switch is a closed contact, but just to rule out damaged wire I would connect at junction which from memory is behind side panel.
Clutch switch can be open or closed for interlock I don't know which on the bike? but if you have a meter check with clutch in and out at switch.

First Id go with side stand switch.
You can ride bike with switch shorted but you could leave side stand down and still ride. Interlock is to prevent this so you don't crash.

Des

fazer-rat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - thunderace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2016, 05:31:07 pm »
deffo sounds like sidestand switch to me

Dalejohns

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2016, 07:45:51 pm »
...aaaand it definitely was the side stand switch. I don't know if it's the slightly different connector that I had to work around that's incompatible, or if my electrical skills aren't up to scratch, but I did said wiring-switch-to-itself and she's golden. Rode up and down the road a couple times without so much as a hiccup. Guess I shoulda paid attention and gone for the simple checks first  :D  Just gotta shop around for a decent switch to replace it now. Thanks all!

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile

Dalejohns

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 July 2016, 09:44:08 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FAZER-1000-SWITCH-SIDE-STAND-FZS1000-2000-2006-/301879694825?hash=item46496e95e9:g:p-wAAOSwQYZWzFlr

Yeah, I've messaged the seller to see if he can just take a closer picture of the connector to be sure but it looks right.
 This is the one I bought;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162129167130

Can see the connector is different - potentially mistaken by the seller from another bike but there are others with this connector so who knows

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 July 2016, 07:01:53 am »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FAZER-1000-SWITCH-SIDE-STAND-FZS1000-2000-2006-/301879694825?hash=item46496e95e9:g:p-wAAOSwQYZWzFlr

Yeah, I've messaged the seller to see if he can just take a closer picture of the connector to be sure but it looks right.
 This is the one I bought;

The one you brought looks right. The connectors wont make any difference, its just a single pole switch. Are you sure its not working and not a bad connection you put on. You can test with meter or even battery and bulb. On/off   

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162129167130

Can see the connector is different - potentially mistaken by the seller from another bike but there are others with this connector so who knows

Dalejohns

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: 2004/Gen 1 engine dying in gear (solved)
« Reply #12 on: 22 July 2016, 01:10:08 pm »
May well be a bad connection but for the sake of a tenner and peace of mind I'll just pick up the correct one. Thanks :)