Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:12 pm

Author Topic: Noisy fork springs  (Read 892 times)

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
Noisy fork springs
« on: 14 August 2022, 08:56:01 pm »
Hi peeps.

Anyone having noisy forks after a full strip & rebuild, all K-tech parts used, so should be ok for a good few miles.
Top bushes were a proper mare to fit, had to re-gap em to get em in.

Issue I'm having now is scraping noise on compression of forks, springs rubbing inside of stanchions.

Does anyone know of any stepped top hat bushes available to replace the washers on spring tops, this would keep the spring central & eliminate metal to metal contact of spring & stanchion.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: Noisy fork springs
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2022, 09:18:47 am »
Something hasent been assembled correctly by the sounds of it. Gnasher may have some input, but you should NOT have had to modify or create a work around to reassemble the forks. Did you follow the manual? - https://www.manualslib.com/manual/659471/Yamaha-Fz1.html

The way I put forks tops back on when the spring pre-load makes it hard, is to place a bit of cardboard/carpet under the bottom of the fork to protect the end and then use my body weight to push down with one hand then and then with the other hand make a wide arc (1/2 of a single turn) on the spanner to get the thread started.
« Last Edit: 17 August 2022, 09:19:36 am by b1k3rdude »

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2022, 02:01:39 pm »
If the top bushes were a problem to fit, maybe the scraping noise is the bushes being too tight a fit around the stanchions? I would be surprised if the springs are causing that sort of noise. Assuming there was no scraping noise before the strip down then I would say to start with the parts you have changed. Personally I would only use OEM bushes.
FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2022, 12:58:06 pm »
Personally I would only use OEM bushes
+1 and seals while we are on the subject.

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2022, 10:21:23 pm »
Something hasent been assembled correctly by the sounds of it. Gnasher may have some input, but you should NOT have had to modify or create a work around to reassemble the forks. Did you follow the manual? - https://www.manualslib.com/manual/659471/Yamaha-Fz1.html

The way I put forks tops back on when the spring pre-load makes it hard, is to place a bit of cardboard/carpet under the bottom of the fork to protect the end and then use my body weight to push down with one hand then and then with the other hand make a wide arc (1/2 of a single turn) on the spanner to get the thread started.

It's all assembled correctly, probly done hundreds of forks over the yrs, defo spring/inner stanchion contact, all springs rub, hence grey fork oil when u drop it, stick a magnet in old fork oil, it'll be covered in metal bits.
Just a bit noisier than expected, 1st time of using K-tech stuff, might be my last, I'm not the only one with experience off tight K-tech fork bushes, no way would they go in without opening up the end gap by 0.25mm minimum, still tight but went in without too much of a wollap from my bush fitting tool.

It's only audible bouncing forks, can't hear it while riding with a lid on.
I'll suck it n see for now.