Date: 30-04-24  Time: 10:58 am

Author Topic: fuel gauge issue  (Read 150 times)

butthead

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - honda cbf1000
    • View Profile
fuel gauge issue
« on: 06 April 2024, 05:19:35 pm »
hi there , i have a 2001 fzs600.  this fuel gauge has played up before but was cured simply by disconnecting fuel reader connection block spraying wD 40 into it and ridding the furring ( ver de gris ) off the connections and it was working perfectly again.  this time possibly coincidentally as a result of needing to temporarily disconnect the battery to do  a different job entirely , found the fuel gauge which worked before was now not working properly , that is to say not working as it should !  i have checked for the same issue as first time , all clean still and no reason to suspect similar reason as before .
the tank is about 70% full yet the fuel gauge will slowly climb up to the first mark above empty and no more , the needle drops back where it should  when ign off, so it is operating but not normally ( if were allowed to use such a word these days  :lol [size=78%])    [/size]

what could be the reasons and solutions ? how would i verify the faulty items ?

in the interim two questions,

although the gauge wont go any higher than first mark , would it react normally when fuel is lower than where its reading right now?

does the fuel warning light depend on working fuel gauge?  is it linked or independent to the fuel gauge , in other words can i rely on the fuel warning light despite faulty gauge ?

just thought of a third question now , when fuel warning light does come on , how much fuel do you have left ?  obviously fuel up immediately but what does the fuel warning light represent in mileage terms ?

thanks anyone who responds   
« Last Edit: 06 April 2024, 05:21:15 pm by butthead »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: fuel gauge issue
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2024, 11:12:26 pm »
Check this out , I had a similar issue and this is what I did.   https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=67

butthead

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - honda cbf1000
    • View Profile
Re: fuel gauge issue
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2024, 08:47:11 am »
thank you , thats brilliant, nice easy steps to follow  :)