Date: 21-05-24  Time: 05:12 am

Author Topic: Brake reservoir hose sweating...  (Read 3164 times)

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
Brake reservoir hose sweating...
« on: 05 March 2016, 08:00:33 pm »
I was out on the winter blaster today and noticed the front brake fluid reservoir hose i bought  (rizoma copy)  off fleabay (China) for the fazer and i noticed the hose appears to sweat (damp). It looks like condensation along the hose.. Is the hose leaking? It has been doing it for a few months and i haven't noticed the brake fluid level dropping.... Anyone else ever had this issue? I also noticed the quill can strap pop rivets have corroded and the strap at the end of the can is hanging off, so i will need to drill the old rivets out and fit new ones :groan
« Last Edit: 05 March 2016, 08:27:40 pm by nickodemon »
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Brake reservoir hose sweating...
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2016, 08:50:40 am »
Treat the bike to some Goodridge or HEL stainless steel braided hoses. No need to change them again and much more feel. Not worth taking any chances with cheap brake parts.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2016, 09:09:40 am »
If we're talking about the hose between the reservoir and the master cylinder you could perhaps look at replacing the clips with jubilee type clamps as the ones you have don't look like they would put enough pressure on the join to stop leaks, though it's difficult to tell from the photo. Have you tasted the 'sweat'? From experience (don't ask) brake fluid tastes like a much more concentrated version of ear wax, if you don't know ear wax tastes like (I was a curious child) then you should have some on hand or know of someone who could oblige.
« Last Edit: 06 March 2016, 09:12:46 am by PieEater »

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2016, 09:40:12 am »
i will take a close up photo. It doesn't appear to be leaking at the ends. The whole hose from one end to the other and top to bottom looks like it is covered in condensation. Fazerjon you are talking about the wrong hoses :lol .

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2016, 09:59:35 am »
Are you sure it's not a light dusting of road salt? The stuff attracts moisture out of the air and for some reason looks more obvious on rubber than metal or plastic, I often notice that my tyres look sweaty!

Reaper

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2016, 11:06:05 am »
 I had the same issue on an alloy reservoir I bought off of E-bay and fitted to my Fireblade after carrying out a top yoke conversion.It started off with a misting on the rubber hose on colder days but then within a few weeks it seemed to be happening regardless of the weather.I tested the fluid on the outer of the hose and it was indeed brake fluid. It seems the rubber hose that is supplied with most of the stuff from China is not actually suitable for corrosive liquids such as brake fluid.
I bought a length of hose (graded for fuels) from the local motor factors and fitted that. Never had a problem with it after that.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 March 2016, 07:18:01 pm »
I think i will buy a length of suitable hose and give that a try. i went out last night to take a photo of it and it was dry :lol

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2016, 01:25:40 pm »
Here is a pic of the hose 'sweating'. I also fixed the end can with some new pop rivets :)

Kenyun

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - z1000r 2xTRX850 CB500X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2016, 08:40:12 pm »
I had the same problem of a sweating brake reservoir hose on a Ducati when I replaced the hose with automotive hose. It only sweated over the winter period,parked up in a concrete garage- no problem in the warm weather.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2016, 08:44:16 pm »
I have ordered a new hose that's specifically for brake fluid, so when i get it i will fit and watch closely :)

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 March 2016, 05:10:33 pm »
Fitted new hose and it seems to be fixed :)  I also used much stronger clips..