Date: 18-04-24  Time: 12:16 pm

Author Topic: Replacement oil return/feed pipe  (Read 13216 times)

RustyDownPipes

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Replacement oil return/feed pipe
« on: 27 September 2011, 09:32:50 pm »
Well it looks like the rust is going to win this battle...
Has anyone replaced their feed pipe and if so recommend a supplier? One option is to have HEL make one up (kaching ££££  :eek ).

I've googled the backside off 'FZS 600 oil pipe' with no success...I can find one for the Thunderpussy but only one outfit sell them.

Thanks.

griff86

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement oil return/feed pipe
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2011, 11:40:54 am »
I've never had an issue with mine although I do keep an eye on it.

Have a look in the downloads section, download the parts manual for your bike an get a price off yamaha for a new one.

subby

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2011, 04:53:44 pm »
I think this is what your asking about 5RT131610000, £45 from yamaha.

king1

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2014, 09:37:42 pm »
Hi

Did you sort out your oil pipe? as mine has gone and I've been told £70 for a new one.
Tried soldering it up with my plumbing tools, only lasted 2 weeks

Thanks

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2014, 10:50:59 pm »
For £50 I would replace it and the 4 sealing washers. It is the main oil supply under pressure to the cams, to important to do anything else with it. The original one for the 1998 to 2001 was superseded by part number 5RT131610000 as stated by Subby.

FlashBack

• Cager in Training
  • Grass Tracking FOCCER
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2014, 06:17:04 pm »
Hey Rustydownpipes, how did you get on? Any joy in finding a replacement and if so where did you source it from? I'm on the hunt for one as well.

Cheers

sharpypaul

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2016, 10:48:40 am »
Hi, I know this is an old topic but my pipe also appears to have gone. It's quite rusty and cleaning the bike with gunk and then riding it has shown me a whole new World of pain, so much oil!

The part appears to be no longer in stock by anyone although I will try my local Yamaha dealer tomorrow when they're open. Did anyone have any luck in sourcing alternative suppliers? It seems strange that Yamaha would stop supplying something that is so important!!

Thanks in anticipation.

Paul

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 August 2016, 01:41:11 pm »
This is interesting1 Recently when I had the front end stripped out I had a go at cleaning front of engine. Enquired about replacement oil feed pipe  @ Yamaha main dealer only to be told that item now discontinued by Yamaha.( My bike is a 2000 model registered in 2001). Wonder if the part number quoted is still available?
Was lucky with mine-managed to clean most of rust off & repaint-no leaks so far-certainly wouldnt want that pipe to fail :eek

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 August 2016, 07:52:30 pm »
Which bit are you talking about?

I might have one, as I have an old engine in bits outside.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 August 2016, 06:02:21 am »
Which bit are you talking about?

I might have one, as I have an old engine in bits outside.

Steel oil feed pipe runs up the front of the block to the cylinder head. About 10mm dia.

Has anyone talked to Goodridge, Areoquip etc about a replacement line. One of them used to supply lines in the states for modified VF750 race bikes. The VF ate camshafts due to poor oil supply so they tapped into the main oil gallery and ran the feed lines externally.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwimo-fKxrPOAhXkCcAKHZYzDq8QFggzMAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fboston.g4.net%2F~cdc%2Fmagna%2Ftech%2520section%2520and%2520issues%2Foil%2520modification%2Fthe%2520oil%2520mod.htm&usg=AFQjCNE3SKdghyV8K-weGU9QcyDwq9KLbw
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 August 2016, 06:22:34 am »
I'm going to risk fitting a braided line, worst case I get a couple of blown cams. Best, I get to sell everyone in the world a nice shiny oil feed kit and retire early lol

Anyone want to post me an old rusty oil feed line for measuring?

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 August 2016, 09:51:16 pm »
I thought about the stainless braided hose option when I replaced mine a couple of years ago but the bolts and banjo fittings are not the same as brake ones.  The oil pipe bolts are parallel with no groove round them by the hole the oil comes through but the banjo fitting has a groove inside it for the oil to flow round.  If you used the original bolts and brake hose banjo fittings no oil would get to the head!  I have a feeling there was another issue with bolts different thread or length for the banjo part.

Any changes in the flow through the pipe could result in increased flow to the head but possibly lower flow/pressure to crank bearings or reduced flow to head particularly when oil is cold.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2016, 12:14:09 am »
I thought about the stainless braided hose option when I replaced mine a couple of years ago but the bolts and banjo fittings are not the same as brake ones.  The oil pipe bolts are parallel with no groove round them by the hole the oil comes through but the banjo fitting has a groove inside it for the oil to flow round.  If you used the original bolts and brake hose banjo fittings no oil would get to the head!  I have a feeling there was another issue with bolts different thread or length for the banjo part.

Any changes in the flow through the pipe could result in increased flow to the head but possibly lower flow/pressure to crank bearings or reduced flow to head particularly when oil is cold.
[/quot

I haven't seen one and not at home until the weekend but I find it hard to believe Yamaha haven't used an off the shelf fastener, OK so it's unlike a brake type banjo but its still a banjo of sorts. I've looked at male male AN fittings and unless Yamaha did make there own fittings I bet it wouldn't be a million miles away from what you would need to make up a line.

I've emailed Goodridge so will see what the suggest

Did you look into different types of AN fittings. A male male could be the answer depending how the oil is fed into the original fitting.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 August 2016, 06:31:26 am »
Repeating myself, must remember to proof read next time  :wall

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 August 2016, 09:30:11 am »
I didn't do a lot of research at the time as I was just looking to do a temporary repair to keep the bike on the road until new oil pipe arrived and I had brake hose correct length in garage.  If it had worked I would have considered the stainless hose route to avoid future corrosion issues with the new pipe but once I found it wouldn't just be a straight swap and concerns over changing the oil flow around the engine stopped me looking any further

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 August 2016, 10:20:36 am »
Umm, this is not good news for me. My all weather 66k FZS600 looks like it will need an oil pipe at some point, very quick scout of eBay shows no used parts and as mentioned the new part is not available now.

If you can get a fix from other sources JoeBloggs i'd buy one for sure.

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 August 2016, 10:53:17 am »
If it is of any interest the thread on the banjo bolt is M10 X 1.25mm pitch, which is the standard metric fine pitch for a 10mm thread. The hole in the side of the bolt is approx 1.35mm diameter. Some engines have a built in restriction to the oil feed to the cams but I don't know if this applies to the FZS600, but either way it shouldn't bother you. I wouldn't have thought the 1.35mm hole in each bolt would be small enough to act as a restricter.
Have you considered making or having made locally a replacement steel or copper pipe? It wouldn't be a difficult job for any engineering place with your old pipe to copy or an engine to match it to. If necessary you could even use the existing banjos after un-brazing them.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 August 2016, 07:14:40 am »
Still no reply from Goodridge so will call them, email probably ended up with the sale's dept and I think I really need to speak to technical.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 August 2016, 08:19:36 am »
When I was enquiring about availability of this pipe at Yamaha main dealer i was told item discontinued by Yamaha in Japan.
Now I realise Yamaha are not in business to keep "antique" Yamahas on the road but there are a lot of our Fazers still in regular use and many potentially facing this problem. Would a foccer with the time & access to an engineering shop be willing to get a quote for batch production? (along the lines of the silicone coolant hose group buy).
From memory Yamahas official retail price for this pipe was around £56 and then its necessary to add in cost of union banjo bolts & sealing washers.
I for one would willingly order one since mine will fail in time, as will other members, & it seems ridiculous that they should discontinue such a vital part-maybe they think we will all abandon our Fazers & rush down dealers to order a new bike! Obviously for reasons of economy it would be necessary for a number of us to order to justify tooling costs etc.

cnw180

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 August 2016, 03:03:43 pm »
I'm after the same part for my 200 Fazer, it suddenly burst this morning, as was spotted by the MOT tester.  So far my search for a pipe has come up empty. Has anyone on here had any luck?

There is a tiny hole in this section of the pipe....

Bottom of the pipe, seems ok, but looks repaired?

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 August 2016, 04:34:30 pm »
I'm after the same part for my 200 Fazer, it suddenly burst this morning, as was spotted by the MOT tester.  So far my search for a pipe has come up empty. Has anyone on here had any luck?

There is a tiny hole in this section of the pipe....

If your bikes off the road and the pipe is shot would you be prepared to send it to me. I'll get my local engineer to have a butchers at it and see what he can knock up. Will need the top and bottom banjo bolts to measure too

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 August 2016, 05:29:39 pm »
Someone with a break flaring tool could probably make something up using steel brake line. The only tricky part might be getting fittings that have the same thread size as the current banjo bolts

bootz76

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 August 2016, 12:10:58 am »
Can someone please send me an old burst one so I can get some new ones done. Had/have this problem with xj diversions easily fixed . Simply fix remove pipe cut out knackered section replace with decent hose and refit with new washers check xj600 diversion mods it's common, however taking the old pipe to pirtek is a better idea they use stainless hoses and very fancy fittings. Bottom line is its not a disaster just a pain

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 August 2016, 08:31:33 am »
I asked a breaker i they had any scrap pipes to no avail.

I would defo get one if made for the group for peice of mind. My brother mentioned Pirtek but i don't want to remove mine at the moment, as its currently working. Hopefully CNW180 will pass on his broken pipe.

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 August 2016, 10:04:42 am »

Repaired? Do you mean the bit that looks like a patch welded over it?  That's a small bracket that bolts on the front of the crankcase.