Date: 28-03-24  Time: 13:02 pm

Author Topic: Rattle/vibration noise  (Read 2169 times)

sc0ttie

• Weekend Warrior
  • returned to bikes in 2015 after a 10 year break
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Rattle/vibration noise
« on: 22 August 2016, 05:22:07 pm »
The past couple of weeks my 99 fzs600 has had a bit of a rattle occuring, it seems a bit more obvious when cold but also it can sound like a vibration. I took a video of the bike being revved just now, this was after a 20 minute ride, so it sounds more vibey than rattly but you can definitely hear it best toward the end of the vid.
I am not sure what it is but could this be my camchain being loose?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m62fzfYo68

« Last Edit: 22 August 2016, 05:47:36 pm by sc0ttie »

flakey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Rattle/vibration noise
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2016, 08:06:41 pm »
are those carb rubbers ok? frankly they don't look there best and if your sucking more air than you should be that might be exasberating your problem, i'm not a mechanic but just a thought.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2016, 08:22:50 pm »
Sounds a bit rattly, but may just be between clicks on the tensioner.
My bike rattled for a good 8 months or more then one day went silent just after starting it, i thought there was something wrong.
I don't think you've got anything to worry about, it's just a bit annoying that's all.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

sc0ttie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2016, 09:39:05 pm »
My bike rattled for a good 8 months or more then one day went silent just after starting it, i thought there was something wrong.
I don't think you've got anything to worry about, it's just a bit annoying that's all.

I think they are ok, there was a crack in the outer two and i spread a bit of high temp black silicone on them a few months back to fill them but don't think the cracks were very deep tbh. I just ordered a new tube of silicone because I lost my old one and I will redo the inlet rubbers.

sc0ttie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2016, 09:41:30 pm »

What if it's not between clicks? Is there a way to tell? 8 months sounds like a long time. Is there a risk of the cam chain coming off at all?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2016, 11:37:09 pm »
My bike's a commuter, so i'm not giving it welly all the time.
If you do longer runs or thrash it occasionally then it will click a lot quicker.

bootz76

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 August 2016, 12:20:33 am »
Funnily enough someone in the uk is now making manual tensioners for the fazer

sc0ttie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 August 2016, 07:29:07 pm »
So there is no way to know if the camchain is at the end of it's life or just waiting for its next click on the adjuster? This is the first 4 stroke bike i have owned so I am not too savvy about camchains in general.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 August 2016, 06:22:30 am »
What sort of mileage has the bike done?
I had mine changed at about 30,000 miles, but others on here have simply not bothered and put up with the rattle, which is a debate in itself.
Whether mine actually needed replacing, i don't know, maybe it was in between clicks?
At the time i just couldn't hack the noise as i have sensitive hearing and it was driving me mad, so i just got it done anyway.
And i can't remember how long after being sorted that it rattled again, but i do know it hasn't done it for a couple of years now.

sc0ttie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 August 2016, 08:29:48 pm »
My bike has 74k on the clock. It definitely sounds like a chain rattle noise in the engine. Is it expensive to get replaced or easy to do at home? Otherwise the bike is running fine, still pulls extremely well when required etc.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 August 2016, 08:41:29 pm »
My bike has 74k on the clock. It definitely sounds like a chain rattle noise in the engine. Is it expensive to get replaced or easy to do at home? Otherwise the bike is running fine, still pulls extremely well when required etc.

Depends on if you like getting stuck in or not, it's not a beginners job, and the chain is in the middle of the engine.
Plus there are two ways of doing it, either by splitting the chain and feeding a new one round, or splitting the engine and putting an endless chain on.
People have different views on which way they would do it, i personally had mine done at a garage with a split chain.

sc0ttie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 August 2016, 07:28:31 am »
If it is not an easy home job then I would have to get the garage to do it as i am not that great at the harder jobs on engines and my luck with this bike and me working on it has been bad. I bought this bike for £800 a year and a half ago, I just need it to be rideable until the end of the year when I will be able to buy something else with my xmas bonus money, probably another fazer.
Are you able to answer 2 questions for me darris?

how much on average do you think the going rate would be for a garage to sort the camchain?

Would it be ok to ride until the end of the year if I did not get the camchain replaced? I do about 2000 miles per year, it's ridden daily to work but its not a long journey, 15 minutes away on the bike.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 August 2016, 08:23:00 am »
Would it be ok to ride until the end of the year if I did not get the camchain replaced? I do about 2000 miles per year, it's ridden daily to work but its not a long journey, 15 minutes away on the bike.
I'd have no worries about riding that for another 30,000 miles. OK, it's a little noisier than when it came out of the factory, but they last for years and years even once they're a bit rattly.

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 August 2016, 09:42:12 am »
66k on mine, rattles like hell at cold but gets quiet when warmed. I have no plans to change the chain.

I had a service about 20k ago and the guy was replacing carb rubbers and reset the tensioner and it was great and quiet for a while.

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 August 2016, 10:38:39 am »
If it is not an easy home job then I would have to get the garage to do it as i am not that great at the harder jobs on engines and my luck with this bike and me working on it has been bad. I bought this bike for £800 a year and a half ago, I just need it to be rideable until the end of the year when I will be able to buy something else with my xmas bonus money, probably another fazer.
Are you able to answer 2 questions for me darris?

how much on average do you think the going rate would be for a garage to sort the camchain?

Gotta be at least 3hrs labour, at a guess, for a split chain, I honestly can't remember. But obviously much longer if the engine is split for an endless chain.

And as stated, it won't hurt at all if you carry on riding it, even more so I it's just a commuter on short journeys. The noise is annoying but you do get used to it after a while.

sc0ttie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 August 2016, 06:33:14 pm »
Ok thanks for all the responses, I will just carry on riding it. I don't ride very far and I will most likely keep the bike for spares when I get another, better, fazer next year.