Date: 19-05-24  Time: 11:57 am

Author Topic: cam chain fitting advice  (Read 2178 times)

Davew

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
cam chain fitting advice
« on: 15 September 2014, 11:18:20 am »
Well my cam chain rattle isn't going away after trying all the tricks to advance the tensioner, so I think it's time to change it.  The bikes done over 34k and i'm pretty sure its never been done before.

just seeing if anyones got any good tips or advice to make it as painless as possible?  Not sure if there's a 'how to' on here, but couldn't see it.

got my haynes manual to work from though.

Paul

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: cam chain fitting advice
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2014, 03:50:24 pm »
My cam chain started rattling around 50,000 - 60,000 mile mark.

The bikes now done 78,000, and I haven't changed the chain.  The chain is original to the bike.

I'm not suggesting you leave it, but if my experience is anything to go by, it may well last several more years.

I caveat all that with:   I think the noise is cam chain rattle, because it's coming from the right place, but to be honest I'm not that good on noises.

fuzzyfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2014, 04:32:27 pm »
If you're planning to change it I dont think theres an easier way tbh. There is always the option of a missing link chain which is potentially easier but also could damage your engine if not fitted exactly correctly.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2014, 05:18:15 pm »
My chain was changed at 33000, and is now on 44000 and is rattling again!
Tried all the usual tricks but been off the bike injured for a while now so not really thought too much about it.
I've got very sensitive hearing though and simply can't stand the noise of it.  :(
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Paul

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2014, 09:23:15 pm »
To Darrsi

Are you sure it's a cam chain rattle?

I've revved the nuts off mine for 78K... and yes it does make a noise, although to be fair I'm not 100% sure what the noise is.

It's just noisey when it starts.

A mate of mine did dispatch riding, and they regularly got 100k plus out of a Jap engined bike.

I just wonder whether this noise issue is a little over -played.

BluprintZ

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Stiwdio Eglwys
« Reply #5 on: 15 September 2014, 10:53:34 pm »
When i had the cylinder head refurbished last year, the dyno guy did ask if i wanted the chain replacing while the head was off.
He did state that if it was replaced, from his experience it wouldn't be long before it would be making similar noises again.
He said quite a few multi cylinder and twins tend to be noisy in that area, the fairing on the Fazer seems to amplify the rattle, so it can sound worse than it really is.
He didn't feel it warranted replacing, so i didn't.

G ; )
Life's a long song....

fuzzyfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 September 2014, 12:29:46 pm »
Anyone else have thoughts on the missing link chain? Trying to decide whether or not to put one in mine!

Davew

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2014, 10:15:07 pm »
Well I think I spoke too soon, as the chain seems to have advanced itself.  Still a little rattly when cold, but ok when warmed up, so going to leave it for the time being unless it gets worse.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2014, 02:27:20 am »
If you have a look in the service manual the cam chain is a 92RH2010J/130 . The 130 is the number of links. They come with different numbers of links so make sure you get the right length. They also come as a continuous chain and a rivet link chain and you have to buy the rivet link separately.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #9 on: 22 September 2014, 06:13:25 am »
Well my cam chain rattle isn't going away after trying all the tricks to advance the tensioner, so I think it's time to change it.  The bikes done over 34k and i'm pretty sure its never been done before.

just seeing if anyones got any good tips or advice to make it as painless as possible?  Not sure if there's a 'how to' on here, but couldn't see it.

got my haynes manual to work from though.

You can slide carbs back and not remove the whole cooling and everything. In spite of what haynes says.

Apart from that... open engine top, remove old, put the new one in...
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.