Date: 20-05-24  Time: 10:17 am

Author Topic: Anyone recommend a good Bike Lift?  (Read 4958 times)

Capt

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Anyone recommend a good Bike Lift?
« on: 24 October 2012, 06:26:21 pm »
After greasing the head stock bearings at the weekend, I have realised Im getting old.  Only just started to walk normally again after all that bending down, got to be an easier way.............................
Is there a bike lift out there thats a clear winner?

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone recommend a good Bike Lift?
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2012, 06:40:30 pm »
There's one on E bay at the minute  :lol

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2012, 11:14:11 pm »
Bike It do a nice lift table. Bit narrow but fine if you got help to get the bike seated properly.

http://www.bikeit.co.uk/bikeit2012/index.html#/148/

We are Bike It dealers and can get it sorted for you if want a new one.

Abba do a decent budget type stand that allows access to the front but you still need to crawl around for the low stuff.

Whale
On the Gas! :stop

ZiggyCol

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati Multistrada 950
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2012, 04:24:08 pm »
I've got an eazyrizer which allows lifting via the bike wheels or under frame which is great when you want wheels off access . . .

http://www.on-bike.com/products_original_red.htm
....----////   Life is not a rehearsal   \\\\----....

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2012, 11:05:11 pm »
I have one of these and it's been really good so far. 
http://www.alphasales.co.uk/index1.html

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 October 2012, 01:37:08 am »
This looks s fantastic price compared with the Seeley stuff I've seen. Is this hydraulic, I see a shiny pedal but it doesn't say what the lift method is ???

quote author=MEM62 link=topic=5085.msg44404#msg44404 date=1351465511]
I have one of these and it's been really good so far. 
http://www.alphasales.co.uk/index1.html
[/quote]
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

rjd1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 October 2012, 03:13:28 am »
i had a hyd 1 for a while but the seal burst in the jack inside and could`nt get spares was a bike it 1 out of warranty they were`nt interested

so kept an eye on the classified`s an got a ex college air operated ramp it`s excellent works well about 15yr old an a bargain at £250 and can get spare`s for it

get round yer mates an try their`s see what work`s best for you

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB1300S & Sports Sidecar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 October 2012, 06:32:53 am »
Hi Guys,

Just a nod or two about the use of a Bike Bench .. if I may  :\

Be very sure to take into account the head room availability above the intended location of a lift before you buy one.

Many 'normal' garages have a roof that is quite low .. I have known of people busting Bike Screens and Mirror Arms as they jack the bike up on a lift for the first time.

I think it's quite normal to be concentrating on the lift, the bike stability and the jacking system as the whole lot goes up (and down) so you don't notice the head room until you hear the loud 'Crack' .. oh bugga .. too late  :eek .

Also .. never get over confident about these things .. always secure the bike with good ratchet straps before lifting anything .. I know that might sound obvious .. but sods laws rules .. a bike falling from that height will hurt and cost .. big time  :o .

Back to bed .. Stay Safe  ;)   Polar Bear.

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 October 2012, 04:48:44 pm »
This looks s fantastic price compared with the Seeley stuff I've seen. Is this hydraulic, I see a shiny pedal but it doesn't say what the lift method is ???

Yes, there's a foot operated hydraulic unit under the stand as with most other makes.  As ususal there is a bar that is inserted to lock it in place once at one of three selected working heights.  Its made in China but the finish is good.  I do use a rubber mat on it to make placing a bike on the centre stand a little easier.  Without this the stand tends to slide on the painted surface when trying to roll the bike off the stand.  I'm really pleased with it, it lifts my Fazer 1000 and VFR800 with no issues and is solid enough when the bike is at height.  Makes working on your machines sooooo much easier.
« Last Edit: 29 October 2012, 04:51:12 pm by MEM62 »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 November 2012, 08:19:53 pm »
I bought one off a company on ebay and it was shipped to me in Spain direct from China for £12!  Yes, courier to the door, £12.  Total cost including shipping was £280 which was a bargain.

The downsides, though?  First, the pressure release mechanism is a poor design and mine was incorrectly assembled.  Nothing that couldn't be re-engineered in an hour but not something the layman would appreciate and potentially dangerous if not spotted on delivery. :(

Also, the workbed is narrow ... 53cms to be precise.  The bike has to be offset slightly to the right to get the sidestand down on the workbed and my 4-wheel paddock stand needed 'adjustment' to get it to fit on the lift.

There are plenty of similar products on ebay so my advice is choose one which has the widest workbed for the price.   They all look the same in the photos but there are a few on offer at 63cms and that's what I would have gone for if I'd known then what I've learned since.  Check out the linkage for the pedals and look for something that looks robust and properly thought out.

I nearly bought one of these but the cost of shipping to Spain put me off.  I saved well over £100 going the route I chose but if I were in the UK, this is what I'd choose today. :)

Tried mine out today and was generally content but there are better lifts than mine for the price back in the UK.

zednine

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Tribsa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 December 2012, 07:48:20 pm »
I have tried a few and wouldnt use anything but the Clarke from machine mart
Its about £400 quid but Ive had a mate St1100 on it no problem ....... its a trapezoid lift so needs space at front as it drops unlike the cheaper scissor lifts ......... you will not regret buying a lift ..... even for cleaning its invaluable

Chris
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cml3-hydraulic-motorcylce-lift/brand/x-5-star-products

« Last Edit: 01 December 2012, 07:48:56 pm by zednine »

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 December 2012, 08:32:06 pm »
If you get on the Machine Mart mailing list then every 2-3 months they have a special offer where you can buy any of their own  (ie. Clarke) range VAT free or 10% off anything else.

I've had one of their lifts for the last 10 years & am very happy with it, the only real change I'd make is to have the steerable wheels on the back rather than the front, as then you can run the bike up onto the lift & then swing the back around by 90 degrees, would allow for better space usage in my garage.