Date: 27-04-24  Time: 10:28 am

Author Topic: Another returning to the fold........ hopefully.  (Read 2001 times)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Another returning to the fold........ hopefully.
« on: 14 November 2012, 12:31:37 pm »
Sorry about the lack of introduction guys, been a lurker for a good while :o 
Just been reading Bloy182's post, and I'm currently making a the same decision as him with moving to the Fazer thou from a newer bike, and I'm completely tied :look .
Been an FZS600 owner for 10 years on and off owning 3 gen 1's loving every mile on them doing nearly 100k miles between them. I built a 4XV R1 streetfighter and ran it as my commuter/toy for 7 years and just parted with it 2 months ago. It broke my heart!

I bought a Triumph Tiger 1050 in my attempt to grow up a bit (40year old :rolleyes ) and also to keep my licence :eek  I was also 'edging' a 190 tyre road riding on a regular basis which got a bit silly to be honest.
I've tuned the Tiger to about 125bhp/75lb+ torque, and it flies! But there's just something missing that I can't put my finger on it. It's comfy beyond my expectations, LOADS of torque, and now lots of power. Handlings a bit suspect, but that's a trait of the bike! :eek  I craved for a Fazer thou when I first saw them, and built the R1 as a 'substitute'. Kind of regretting my purchase of the Tiger really, wanting the EXUP thrill once again.
Never ridden a Fazer thou (gen 1), but I'm going to have a go on one tomorrow with a bit of luck. Rode an FZ1 a couple of years ago, and it was no better than my Streetfighter, so I kept the R1 then.
So if anyone wants an 07 Blue Tiger1050................ ;)
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Re: Another returning to the fold........ hopefully.
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2012, 12:55:36 pm »
Sounds like you might of hyped the gen 1 1000 up a bit in your mind. It's a great all rounder, but your post seems to lean more towards a fast handling bike with big bang power.
Even with mods the gen 1 could never be called fast and flickable in the handling department.

It's about the best all rounder ever in my opinion though.

Glad your going to test 1 though as to many ppl seem to decide on a bike with thier heart long before they actually ride one. So end up with a biased ride.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2012, 02:37:46 pm »
It was the need also for an all rounder that could carry the other 1/2 easily, my fzs600 struggled a little with full luggage and the missus. (just don't tell her that  ;)
 I appreciate that the big Fazer is no sports bike compared to my last steed, but its closer than the Tiger, albeit it'll need a few mods like a shock and ivans. The Tiger needs a new shock, so it would be money already spent in my eyes. I'll weigh up the pros/cons tomorrow when I ride this one.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2012, 03:05:32 pm »
Hi Steve

I love the original 4XV R1s and I'm fortunate to have a bog stock '99 in the garage with just 13k miles on it.  That motor is a beautiful road engine.

That said, a well-modded Gen 1 Fazer will deliver 140bhp at the rear wheel and handle as nimbly as the R1 ;)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2012, 05:33:15 pm »
Wow Falcon, she's pretty. I'll be modding mine a little like that more than likely.  :)

jools

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 November 2012, 07:22:12 pm »
Hi falcon 269,
What make of exhaust is that :D
That looks really neat.
But is is loud and rasby, or just a nice burble.
jools

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2012, 10:41:03 pm »
The exhaust is an Akrapovic full system with conical headers and a titanium can. 

The can is shortened by about 3" courtesy of a little mishap in the workshop .... ;)

'Imposing' is the word I'd use to describe the sound it makes.  I fit a dB killer when it goes in for its MOT. :)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 November 2012, 05:01:00 pm »
Well I've just ridden the fazer against the tiger. Two different machines doing a very similar job in my eyes. The Fazer trumps the tiger on power, handling and fun factor. The tiger is taller, far comfier, and has more torque lower down (2k revs!!!)
The Fazer was like putting on a pair of comfy slippers akin to my old R1. Loved it! Bars are awful, and the wind protection over 80 was poor, even with a double bubble on. The tiger is no doubt the better tourer, but I don't really go touring any more!
For me and how I ride, the Fazer is a winner. :D
If your after a very comfy, increadibly torquey tiger for touring, mines up for sale/px Fazer..... And its cheap!
« Last Edit: 15 November 2012, 07:00:04 pm by stevierst »