Date: 28-04-24  Time: 04:44 am

Author Topic: Weedy horn  (Read 11672 times)

John Silva

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Weedy horn
« Reply #25 on: 29 September 2012, 10:01:49 am »
I got a Stebel Magnum fitted and thats not quite as loud as the Nautilus but its loud enough for me.
Never had a problem with it in over 7 years or so of ownership.
Biking is about the Journey NOT the Destination...

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 September 2012, 03:21:50 pm »
You may find this review useful: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/motorcycle-horn-comparison.htm
They didn't seem too impressed with the Stebel horns, neither of them worked!

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 September 2012, 07:02:30 pm »
I have twin air horns and remote compressor on both my bikes and also the car , only about £12 from e bay
The horns fit nicely behind the front fairing panels ,with the compressor, cable tied to the top hose, almost out of sight.
They need a relay and have blown a 15 amp fuse so I use a 20 amp blade fuse.
Great feel good factor when someone is reluctant to move over after an ovetake, never failed yet!
« Last Edit: 30 September 2012, 09:47:57 am by bwizz »

gasmenace

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • Join the Organ Donor Register
« Reply #28 on: 30 September 2012, 10:37:46 am »
If like me you want a standard looking horn the acumen ones are good. I got one from these people on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acumen-Motorcycle-12V-Extra-Loud-Replacement-Horn-/261103345031?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3ccaf8dd87

They are stamped 105db but rumor is they are about 115db. also comes in a nice tin :D

Less than £7 delivered??!! A bargain - I've ordered mine

Colin
“Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”
― George Carlin

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30 September 2012, 05:29:35 pm »
Has anyone got a DB meter and measured just how loud they are..?

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 01 October 2012, 04:49:29 pm »
Is this the actual horn or the wiring / switch design? I noticed the other day when i needed mine it was crap! Seems strange, it's as shit as my old 2 stroke ones at tickover - AR50 etc, but never had a problem on previous two R1s or any of my Hondas...? Weird, can the actual horn unit be that rubbish on just a Fazer, never had another bike like it..????

BTW - bargain for £7 the acumen, looked on ebay, mainly breakers - wanting between £6 and £10 for a bloody 10yr old horn.   :rolleyes
« Last Edit: 01 October 2012, 04:55:55 pm by JayB »

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01 October 2012, 06:37:18 pm »
My gen 1 had only done 5000 dry miles when i got it but horn was terrible. i would guess in my case it might have seized through lack of use lol. no amount of WD40 improved it. so for me ive no idea of the acumen is better, same or worse even..
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01 October 2012, 06:51:23 pm »

BTW - bargain for £7 the acumen,

I fitted mine yesterday. It's louder than the standard horn I'll admit, but going from the hype I was anticipating a noise more akin to the QE2 arriving in Sydney Harbour. Alas, it reminds me more of that yellow car that Bigears drives Noddy around in. It's a good horn for the price and comes in a neat little tin. But I'll be looking out for something more 'Arooooghah!'

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01 October 2012, 11:09:59 pm »
I'm gonna nick the one off my bro's Blade and see what it sounds like, just ignition on compared to on his bike.
Can't see how another is much louder really.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02 October 2012, 03:14:18 am »
I think it's already been said that it isn't any louder than the standard horn (when working properly) but for me it wasn't about being louder, it was about actually working when you press it and not sounding like a toddler blowing into a bugle (which it doesn't) so for 7 quid I'm happy. Now, who wants horning. :b

DanielT

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02 October 2012, 10:33:33 am »
Mine's arrived. I'll film the before and after and post it.

One day they'll make an MP3 horn. Record yourself shouting something, then it'll amplify it when you press the button

budgiemurray

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02 October 2012, 10:51:27 am »
Got mines too. Be the weekend before i get time to fit it though

Budgie

sent from somewhere beyond the rim.

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02 October 2012, 11:56:29 am »
I'm going to have to join the party and get one too. Maybe the Fazer horn being more exposed just leads to it corroding internally quicker, can't quite remember where the R1 horn was hiding.

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 02 October 2012, 12:02:30 pm »
I'm going to have to join the party and get one too. Maybe the Fazer horn being more exposed just leads to it corroding internally quicker, can't quite remember where the R1 horn was hiding.

I would advise mounting the Acumen in the same place as the standard horn. If you tried to mount it under the tank it would sound like a bee trapped in a coke can.

ZiggyCol

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati Multistrada 950
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 02 October 2012, 04:33:33 pm »
I got a twin pack of horns from Halfords - fitted one each side under the fairing inners.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_222209_langId_-1_categoryId_165704#tab1

Seem loud enough for me and a vast improvement on original
....----////   Life is not a rehearsal   \\\\----....

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 02 October 2012, 08:20:05 pm »
Has anyone got a DB meter and measured just how loud they are..?

Mine is sat at home in its tin still, whilst I'm 300 miles away working. I do have a sound meter and can measure compare frequencies too. I won't be able to do the job this weekend. But full facts should be readyvthe weekend after.
As the thread has developed I'm thinking of following CRH and to fit both via a relay.
Best of both worlds then.

budgiemurray

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 06 October 2012, 09:15:43 pm »
fitted my Acumen today.. no sound meter for me but did give the old horn a few toots before fittiing the new 'un.. a noticable difference in loudness noted and its actually slightly smaller than the standard one too  ('05 FZS1000)

Im happy with it..

Budgie

bikerboys

• Weekend Warrior
  • full licenses don't come in cornflake packets!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 06 October 2012, 09:45:01 pm »
I have a Acumen as well as stebel nautikus  air horn  :lol I love it  its saved me one or two times  :)
full licenses don't come in cornflake packets!

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 07 October 2012, 08:09:05 am »
If like me you want a standard looking horn the acumen ones are good. I got one from these people on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acumen-Motorcycle-12V-Extra-Loud-Replacement-Horn-/261103345031?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3ccaf8dd87

They are stamped 105db but rumor is they are about 115db. also comes in a nice tin :D

That looks excellent, had a car horn on Gen 1, may try the one I found in the garage on the Gen 2 if there is room, otherwise I will go for this 8)

Whoops Insurance wrote off Gen 2 Fazer which dumped me on hard shoulder of M20 after tailpack which I have used for 15 years on numerous bikes without a problem,slipped and locked up the back wheel!
[/size][/color]Was perfectly rideable afterwards ,just not very pretty, crash bungs worked and my hip and elbow probably helped too![/font] :rolleyes
[/size][/color]Have now bought ex demo Fazer 8 for same money as not impressed with fuel consumption of Gen 2 Fazer, so will see what horn sounds like ,as the Acumen has arrived,so may swop.[/font]
[/size][/color]Wonder sometimes what Yamaha are thinking about when they "improve" a model as Gen 1 Fazer 1000 was fantastic,just a bit too heavy for me at my time of life, but enjoyed two amazing years on it[/font] :lol
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 07 October 2012, 08:23:32 am »
Fitted Acumen horn-cant say its noticeably louder than original(which was getting a bit corroded). Still the tins useful!
Grandma-hope youre going to post some pics of your new toy? How do you find the weight compared to Gen 1? Did it come with any goodies fitted?  :lol

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 07 October 2012, 02:42:53 pm »
Got my brother to test mine today with an ap on his phone so I dont know how accurate this will be but it peaked at 100 dc with the engine running. 99 dc with just the ignition on. In comparison the exhaust peaked at 97dc at 5000rpm (carbon can co.) no baffle. Does this sound about right ?

dazedandconfused

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 07 October 2012, 07:16:03 pm »
Got a Stebel Magnum on mine. It's been there 2 years and had cause to test it recently. It stopped the 4x4 that was pulling out on me. If it hadn't i'd have hit him in the side instead of just clipping the front. Still ended up with a broken headlight but it saved it from being a lot worse.
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light.

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 09 October 2012, 08:57:59 am »
On a quiet bypass on Sunday morning, I just held the horn button down for about 10 seconds straight and it has improved the sound no end. Must have blown / vibrated all the crap out and loosened it up a bit.

Free fix !  :)

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 09 October 2012, 09:52:37 am »
Haha I did the same to mine the other day, a light press results in a weedy sound but push a bit harder and for longer and it works better, that said it was never that good from new!!

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 09 October 2012, 09:58:12 am »
I dunno if it will now work OK a few days on, will find out tomorrow when I ride to work.