Date: 19-05-24  Time: 00:39 am

Author Topic: FZS1000 market value: disappointed.  (Read 6219 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
FZS1000 market value: disappointed.
« on: 11 September 2015, 07:01:13 pm »
So the insewerants is due and as always I check the value of the bike/s on Auto-trader, and rather disappointingly my Bandit 1200 is worth roughly the same or more than my Fazer thou.

Bandit, 2006, 22k, good cond - £3000-3500k
Fazer, 2005, 21k, very good cond - £2500-3300k

I do prefer riding the bandit on a day to day basis, but the fazer was always suppose to be the 'best' bike. So not only is it worth less, but I don't ride it as much - I almost considering selling the Fazer and replacing it with something else while its still worth close to what I paid for it.
« Last Edit: 11 September 2015, 09:29:14 pm by b1k3rdude »

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: FZS1000 market value: disappointed.
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2015, 08:03:34 pm »
I think the values of the Fazer look about right, the values for the Bandit surprise me, I thought they would be less.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2015, 09:00:58 pm »
Whenever i have looked at prices fazers are worth more.....
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2015, 09:40:40 pm »
The values for the Bandit surprise me, I thought they would be less.
Exactly, but as an owner of both bikes I can honestly say the following -
  • Fazer - out right power 130bhp at the r-wheel compared to 101,  better handling at speed due to being lighter, better brakes, better mirrors,
  • Bandit - better carburation, better front suspension, better clutch & gearbox, HID friendly headlight, bigger wider screen, far more comfortable seat - less aches and pains on a long journey(did 5hrs a week ago, on the fazer my bum would have been in bits), no exup vale to seize up.
I have had a FZS600 and 5x FZS1000's and liked them all, but stock-to-stock the Bandit 1200 is just better overall.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2015, 10:27:17 pm »
I have ridden bandit 12's and sorry but i totally disagree. The fazer is a far better package overall, with better handling, braking and suspension. The quality of components on the fazer is far better quality. Suzuki and Kawasaki parts and paintwork absolutely sucks... Yamaha varies the quality depending on the model.. The fazer 1000 quality is far better than the fazer 600, which was in a very competitive market and was built down to a cost. The only thing that the bandit has more of is low down power. The Bandit is heavier and less frugal. I don't think you would find many owners who would swap a Fazer for a Bandit :'(

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2015, 11:56:32 pm »
When the fazer FZ1 was still being built , maybe I am wrong but was it not about £2k more than the Bandit??so if prices are holding up on the Bandits V Fazers surely the big Suzy was and is better value.

MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 September 2015, 07:34:30 am »
Possibly because the Bandit is more in demand and therefore holds it's price better? I guess at this price range we're in most peoples "1st big bike" territory and to this demographic 1200cc has to be better than 1000cc therefore they will be wanting a bandit regardless of which is actually the better bike and so will pay the going rate even if it is inflated hence the prices are high and remain that way.

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 September 2015, 10:15:29 am »
The values for the Bandit surprise me, I thought they would be less.
Exactly, but as an owner of both bikes I can honestly say the following -
  • Fazer - out right power 130bhp at the r-wheel compared to 101,  better handling at speed due to being lighter, better brakes, better mirrors,
  • Bandit - better carburation, better front suspension, better clutch & gearbox, HID friendly headlight, bigger wider screen, far more comfortable seat - less aches and pains on a long journey(did 5hrs a week ago, on the fazer my bum would have been in bits), no exup vale to seize up.
I have had a FZS600 and 5x FZS1000's and liked them all, but stock-to-stock the Bandit 1200 is just better overall.

Ivanised  the cards are spot on , you can buy a better seat and screen, suspension  is easy sorted,  exup if maintained is no problem ,stick with the fazer.
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 September 2015, 10:36:11 am »
Shooting from the hip a bit here really without any backing evidence.....but firstly...worth means nothing if nobody wants it.....not sure where these bikes get there prices from.

And i "feel" that it is the image thing and trends.....i reckon the bandit fell out of fashion a while back when the fazer was still accepted but that the big bandit in particular has emerged from the uncool cave in a little bit of a retro muscle resurgence.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 September 2015, 11:10:05 am »
Fazers do seem to be selling cheap I've just brought a 02 one owner 15k for 2k bargain

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 September 2015, 11:55:56 am »
and suspension. The quality of components on the fazer is far better quality.
The stock front suspension on the FZS1000 is abysmal at low speed (where is where most of us spend our time), the I have played with the pre/comp camping settings, changed the springs, the oil & level and still the damping is too harsh. Where as I havent had to touch the bandit.
  • Ivanised  the carbs ,
  • you can buy a better seat and screen,
  • suspension  is easy sorted,
  • Mine are ivanised and yet I still have a slight hesitation when just feathering the throttle, which is a right pain at anything below 35mph
  • My issue is spending £100-200 on getting the stock seat 'fixed' is annoying when the bandits stock seat just works. And screen fair enough, but I have yet to see a very wide screen in the UK thats wide enough (Ive seen those rifle screens in the US, but the new price is just daft)
  • The rear yes, but spending £££ to get the front damping sorted is infuriating in so many ways.
Fazers do seem to be selling cheap I've just brought a 02 one owner 15k for 2k bargain
I'm wondering if the fact the the FZS1000 is mis-catagorized as a sports bike bu so many insurance companies has anything to do with the lower value.

« Last Edit: 12 September 2015, 11:58:20 am by b1k3rdude »

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 September 2015, 12:04:06 pm »
You have obviously got something wrong with your fazer if there is slight hesitation when feathering the throttle if you have an ivans kit fitted. Mine pulls perfectly from tickover and has no hesitation when feathering the throttle. Front suspension isn't over damped if you set it up correctly and use lighter oil.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 September 2015, 10:18:12 pm »
  • You have obviously got something wrong with your fazer if there is slight hesitation when feathering the throttle if you have an ivans kit fitted.
  • Front suspension isn't over damped if you set it up correctly and use lighter oil.
  • All but one of the 5 FZS1000's I have were ivanised when I bought them, cant remember what the first was like but the last 3 inc this one have all had this issue where while filtering I have to feather the clutch to work around the carburation on part throttle at the 10-20mph mark. Where as with the bandit, I never need to touch the clutch.
  • stock is 10w and currently 7.5 is in there and it made no difference, and adjusting the comp from max to min just made it go from mostly harsh to very harsh. The issue is most noticeable at low speeds, below 40mph.
I think I am gonna find a stock FZS1000 in a dealer and take it for a spin just to see if there are any differences to mine.
« Last Edit: 12 September 2015, 10:18:50 pm by b1k3rdude »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 September 2015, 11:47:08 am »
Could be transmission snatch you're feeling?  The Fazer runs a lot of chain slack and going from closed to part-open throttle at walking speeds might well require a bit of clutch feathering to keep things smooth.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 September 2015, 04:10:16 pm »
The Fazer runs a lot of chain slack and going from closed to part-open throttle at walking speeds might well require a bit of clutch feathering to keep things smooth.
Ah yes, I have always had that in the back of my mind but was never sure...

I am already running the correct amount of slack, is there anything that can be done (haven't check the cush drive rubbers in a while, but the bike has not done that man mile since I checked them last) to help reduce this or is it a case of just live with it.

My bandit runs the same amount of slack so I guess the rear linkage set is different enough to reduce said snatch etc.

mark g

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TY250 Trails bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 September 2015, 06:07:57 pm »
Mines not been Ivansied to be fair it isn't too bad now I've had it a while, even the shock isn't too bad when solo, I do notice a bit when two up but if I were riding it solo all the time I don't think I'd be bothering spending hundreds on the famous rear shock conversion....... I think you can get too fussy with things sometimes, just ride it and enjoy.......if we all bought bikes on how they hold there value we'd all have old Z900's  :lol

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 September 2015, 08:58:02 pm »
I think you can get too fussy with things sometimes, just ride it and enjoy.
One of the issue for me is, I wasn't fully aware of said issue untill I rode what I thought was an inferior bike (Bandit, because its based on older tech).

I can live with the snatch, but I also have a front damping issue which aggrivates me in as soon as I notice it. I had planned for a ktech upgrade (already got the springs) but after seeing the market values, I have kind gone off the idea.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 September 2015, 09:01:57 am »
Although I have only owned 1 Fazer I found the std forks to be great, nice damping, springs were a little soft for me but no complaints.  The engine is silky smooth, I commute every day with a mix of motorway and city and its by far the best commuter I have had (it could be lighter but hey).  My engine is standard really, has a non std silencer but its no ivanised or anything.

I find it suprising bandit 12's are more expensive than fazers as I was looking at getting one when I bought my fazer.  You could have your pick of very good condition bandits for less than 2k, Fazers were higher mileage and more.... 'used' north of 2.5k.  This was only a couple of years ago.

Intentionally left blank

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 September 2015, 10:08:01 am »
I think you can get too fussy with things sometimes, just ride it and enjoy.
One of the issue for me is, I wasn't fully aware of said issue untill I rode what I thought was an inferior bike (Bandit, because its based on older tech).

I can live with the snatch, but I also have a front damping issue which aggrivates me in as soon as I notice it. I had planned for a ktech upgrade (already got the springs) but after seeing the market values, I have kind gone off the idea.

I wouldn't worry about the market value of it - work out what more you'd get from the additional cost of a newer bike, and then work out what you'll lose in depreciation!

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 September 2015, 09:20:52 pm »
I came from GSX's - to FJR's first, then the Fazer, following lots of research. I wouldn't touch a Bandit at all for lots of reasons. (MPG, Everyone and their monkey's got one etc etc).
 ;)

Brixmis

• CBT Wobbler
  • Old fart
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 September 2015, 02:57:02 pm »
Wow - I'm really gobsmacked at what you say about the Fazer.

Mine's throttle response is fantastic - especially at lower speeds (starting can be a pain, though).

Also, I'm disabled with some very nasty musco-skeletal disease and back/nerve damage and I'm very sensitive to crap bike seats and the Fazer thou is about the most comfy I've graced with my derailleur! I can ride it all day long and still walk straight afterwards.

My only gripe is the slow steering (i.e. suspension) especially once you get going on the A-roads.