Date: 27-04-24  Time: 11:02 am

Author Topic: Ignition switch bolts  (Read 1678 times)

Gazbo

• Cager in Training
  • I feel more like I do now than I did Yesterday
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Ignition switch bolts
« on: 06 April 2016, 03:56:04 pm »
Hello again .
Haven't been on for a while. sorry.

Question.  Fitting new (used) 7 wire ignition switch to my 03. (Not started yet though- she's in constant use- at least until the existing ignition barrel fails altogether.)
Right. I know all about drilling out the old screws etc. stud extaction and whathaveyou. that's all fine - I'm in engineering.
No. my question is, does anyone know what size the replacement bolts will need to be ? ie: are they M8, and by what length.and do they have to be countersunk?
Asking in advance, coz I can get some 316L Stainless cap-heads from work.(M6/M8/M10) I  just want to have all the bits there ready before I start. (I know Iknow, these could be removed by the Pikeys, but I don't want to use any snap off type of stuff, in case I need to do it again myself. remember - this will be a second hand unit I'm fitting anyway. My intention was to Loctite the cap heads in, then fit some black rubber caps over them to hide the shineyness (Is that even a word???)
PS. sorry if there is already a thread on this one - but I couldn't see owt.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Gazbo
The Reaper Returns !

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Ignition switch bolts
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2016, 09:57:13 am »
Hi Gazbo, Sorry can't help with your question but I thought I would just say hi anyway.
My ignition switch jams from time to time and it's really difficult to get the key to turn, 3 or 4 seconds of wiggling back and forth before it will turn. I have tried a mixture of WD40 and sewing machine oil and does not really help, so I guess I will be replacing my lock soon as well.
I also noted that you bought the FASTEST fazer a silver one, there are a number of old duffers on here that will try to tell you that the red fazer is the fastest, but all silver owners know that's bollocks.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2016, 10:20:36 am »
Hi Gazbo, Sorry can't help with your question but I thought I would just say hi anyway.
My ignition switch jams from time to time and it's really difficult to get the key to turn, 3 or 4 seconds of wiggling back and forth before it will turn. I have tried a mixture of WD40 and sewing machine oil and does not really help, so I guess I will be replacing my lock soon as well.
I also noted that you bought the FASTEST fazer a silver one, there are a number of old duffers on here that will try to tell you that the red fazer is the fastest, but all silver owners know that's bollocks.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Pulling the handlebars a few miilimetres to the left as far as they will go when the steering lock is on can help with turning the key.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2016, 12:37:53 pm »
M8x20 socket head should do the trick
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

grizzler

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - GSX600F
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2016, 01:20:32 pm »

Ahem... blue my friend...blue...lol..
Life is never complete. Once you've discovered rock music, beer, bikes & girls, you have the rest of your life to intimately explore each one.. Good luck with finishing that project.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2016, 04:53:49 pm »

Ahem... blue my friend...blue...lol..

Oh yeah! the blue one!!!! do they still make them? I thought that Yamaha had discontinued the blue bikes because of unreliability and sluggishness. :lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2016, 11:45:16 pm »

Pulling the handlebars a few miilimetres to the left as far as they will go when the steering lock is on can help with turning the key.

Cheers for the tip Darrsi.
 I will give it a go when my electronic ankle tagging bracelet is removed.  :lol