Date: 19-05-24  Time: 08:57 am

Author Topic: Fuel gauge problem.  (Read 6814 times)

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel gauge problem.
« Reply #25 on: 08 July 2013, 01:34:43 pm »
Definitely a design thing guys, I think up until recently all vehicles had gauges like that. I know every car I've ever owned (apart from my current Mondeo) took at least 30 seconds for the fuel gauge to read correctly, so don't worry about that.  ;)
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

cambo

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 July 2013, 10:27:33 pm »
Mine started playing up yesterday, i've done 60 miles since top up and when sitting ticking over it's sitting at 3 quarters full which i expect but when I move off its moving up to full and back to 3 quarters again. Also when I turn ignition off the gaugue drops very slowly maybe 20 seconds, any ideas?
I'd guess that the up-and-down bit is just a result of how the float reacts/moves depending on the actual fuel level in the tank. So the changes under acceleration are just due to the fuel moving in the tank. Probably does similar under braking? It does seem a little odd that it'll do this, yet when you switch off it drops slowly. Just a design thing I think.
When the revs drop or on tickover the needle drops to where i would expect it to be due to distance travelled but as soon as i open the throttle it just goes to the top. :(
If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my finger!

ajmes1

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 July 2013, 04:51:33 pm »
Mine was jumping all over the place. Returned to the dealer for them to sort out and turns out the sensor had gone (even though I got readings from it).

We'll wait and see!!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 July 2013, 04:59:21 pm »
Mine started playing up yesterday, i've done 60 miles since top up and when sitting ticking over it's sitting at 3 quarters full which i expect but when I move off its moving up to full and back to 3 quarters again. Also when I turn ignition off the gaugue drops very slowly maybe 20 seconds, any ideas?
I'd guess that the up-and-down bit is just a result of how the float reacts/moves depending on the actual fuel level in the tank. So the changes under acceleration are just due to the fuel moving in the tank. Probably does similar under braking? It does seem a little odd that it'll do this, yet when you switch off it drops slowly. Just a design thing I think.
When the revs drop or on tickover the needle drops to where i would expect it to be due to distance travelled but as soon as i open the throttle it just goes to the top. :(

Even when there is little fuel in the tank, it goes to a full reading under acceleration? Sounds like an electrical problem on the sensor/wiring.

chunk166

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20 July 2013, 07:35:26 pm »
Had a bit of trouble with fuel gauge last week! ended up being "blue tissue" paper! i've put it down to the fuel pumps having been serviced & the mechanic! forgetting to clear up behind them??

Ray