Date: 28-04-24  Time: 06:14 am

Author Topic: mounting gps  (Read 1844 times)

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
mounting gps
« on: 07 July 2012, 09:30:18 am »
Hi all, i have a Garmin Zumo 220 and have mounted it with the supplied RAM mount kit. i am no happy with it because it looks untidy.
How do you peeps have yours mounted?

to give some background i have a set of renthal bars fitted with the brace bar. i would ideally like to mount it on the brace bar or behind the clocks but open to suggestions.

thanks,
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

Davidjw

• DAS Born Again
  • thought i would do it , so here I am !
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - push bike !
    • View Profile
Re: mounting gps
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2012, 11:10:32 am »
I have the same bar set up as you and have my zumo 550 mounted in the middle on the tank side of the brace works fine but then I dont ride along stairing at it  :rolleyes     
its only me !   :-)

Noj

• DAS Born Again
  • Psych on a Bike.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - R6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2012, 12:51:12 pm »
I used a SW Motech, took ages to arrive, however it is has an anti vibration mounting. Not sure its the best or it will suit your requirements. Very tidy and tuff.

http://www.motohaus.com/acatalog/SW_Motech_Yamaha_GPS_Mounts.html

Dave 1625

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - KH 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2012, 09:32:10 pm »
I welded an 8mm nut to the handlebars then had them powder coated black. When i want the sat nav on I simply fit the rubber bal in place. When not using sat nav all you see is a mushroom headed bolt where the rubber mount would sit. looks really neat. I hated the bolt on bracket supplied with my 550 and have tried loads of ways to tidy it up.

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 July 2012, 10:53:21 pm »
Cheers for the suggestions guys,

Karlo -i had seen that setup but cannot bolt the ball in due to the brace bar from the renthals being in The way.

Dave 1625 - i like this idea but not having a welder or the ability to use it limits me. also not sure i could weld to alloy renthal bars lol.

Noj - I really like the idea of those. seen one on my mates BMW and looks really nice. could you take a picture? again with the bars but not sure it will go round the brace bit.
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2012, 10:50:46 pm »
I drilled a hole in the top yoke and inserted a RamBallMount as seen in the image below. Then used a short Double-Socket-Arm. Mine's a TomTom, but same difference.

QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2012, 11:13:50 pm »
all sorted  :D ordered one of these. http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/sw-motech-handlebar-gps-pda-mount-for-78-22mm-bars-gps00308100-1820-p.asp
(don't worry i didn't buy it from that site lol)
all fitted and i am really pleased with it.
Lord,
Amen