Date: 27-04-24  Time: 16:18 pm

Author Topic: Gen1 poor fuel consumption?  (Read 4827 times)

shooter

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Gen1 poor fuel consumption?
« on: 07 April 2012, 03:33:14 pm »
Hello everyone. I recently purchased a 2002 FZS1000, it seems I am only getting around 30-35ish mpg. This is not what I was expecting! Is this figure unusually low? And if so, can anyone suggest a possible cause/fix. It has a scorpion can fitted but I'm not aware of any other mods. Thanks.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Gen1 poor fuel consumption?
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2012, 04:23:18 pm »
Hello and welcome.

I would suggest any litre bike is going to return similar figures when ridden "enthusiaticly", certainly to acheive noticeably better figures I have to make an effort to restrain my wrist and keep the revs around 4k RPM by doing so I can get 55 MPG but that's not my usual riding style. If you're riding like a vicar on his way to a parishoners meeting (aplogies if you are a gentleman of the cloth) and you are getting 30-35 MPG then something could be amiss, could you have a fuel leak, have you checked the colour and condition of the plugs to see if the bike is running rich?

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2012, 05:19:18 pm »
2 things to check would be first the basic's of plugs, filter and exup! and 2nd has it got the std gearing /sprockets as this can throw off any calc's you do as the speedo / odo will be out.

My best is 46.8 but my worst is 28.5 mpg lol i tend to be normaly around high 30's
i have my gearing changed to 2 teeth bigger on rear and speedo adjusted with a healer to compensate.
i also have blue flame can, ivans full monty jet kit and a KnN filter ... of and ignition advancer and i am a big bloke with a heavy throtle hand :)

so 30-35 is a bit low for a std bike and being ridden at legal speeds, but you would prob get much less than that on say a track day.  so realy we need more info, what sort of riding, are you a size 8 waif or a real man :) is the bike altered?

Oh and PS the link at the bottom in my sig is a good way to track your MPG

« Last Edit: 07 April 2012, 05:20:42 pm by ghostbiker »

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2012, 05:55:14 pm »
My bike has a full Monty and an after market can. I tend to ride on the motorway in the high 90's and keep near the limits in 30 and 40 limits and get regular 50 mpg's, I seldom go over 9000 revs but like to get up to fast motorway speeds quickly. I haven't been out with mates for ages so can't give you any mpg's for real thrashes. Your fuel economy sounds really poor from what I can see. Is your air filter clean as a dirty blocked one can knock your mpg for 6?
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2012, 08:16:23 am »
Sounds about normal for my riding - my worst is 20mpg, but now I use a higher gear and 'try' to keep the revs at 5k or less, until I get to the twisties :)

So now I'm getting about 39mpg - which is approx 165 miles and around 19 litres used.

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2012, 01:23:49 pm »
I was getting 100 miles from a full tank before the fuel light would come on when I 1st bought my bike. Not a lot I know but then I was riding it like a toonalic everywhere so couldn't really complain. Did a run to Leeds in the rain (125 miles) & still had 1/4 of a tank of fuel left when I got there so obviously down to how you ride it. Not sure what mpg figure I get these days but guessing it's still fairly low.  :evil