Date: 27-04-24  Time: 09:23 am

Author Topic: Today's "What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS!  (Read 667129 times)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: Today's "What Gets My Goat"
« Reply #2650 on: 31 October 2018, 06:35:53 pm »

In the 2014 independance referendum Scotland also voted by just over 55% to REMAIN in the UK union ;) .

Putting aside that Better Together broke The Edinburgh Agreement cheated in the closing weeks of the referendum;

We were told by Better Together that if we wished to guarantee, I repeat GUARANTEE continued membership of the EU then people of Scotland must reject the YES campaign and vote no.  They told us the only way Scotland could GUARANTEE continued EU membership was by remaining in the UK.

This is what is known as a major material change.   The result of the Scottish referendum is no longer valid.

Further those who did vote NO voted to remain in the UK, not for Scotland to become some sort of minor region of England and to be ignored on every single issue, major or minor.

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: 31 October 2018, 06:36:17 pm »
So.
Me and the missus were sat in Costa (upstairs in Next) having a lovely coffee together. Sat in a window seat with with a view out over the car park (not the greatest view in the world) but enjoying watching the world go by at the end of the working day, pointing out different cars we like or dislike, what we'd buy if we could afford it and, if we're lucky, get to see the odd motorbike or two.
So far so good.
And then, one of my REAL pet hates, a 40 something woman turns up in a Ford KA and jumps out in her velour tracksuit, obviously nothing wrong with her, and dashes into Next to buy herself something nice, after making a foccin' awful attempt at parking her car in between the bay lines, in a disabled space, which is really wide to allow genuinely disabled people enough room to exit and get back into their cars - see pic a.
To top it all off she's got a disabled badge on the dashboard which obviously isn't hers so she has probably borrowed the car & its badge off a relative or someone she knows.
Really grips my sh!t  :thumbdown :stop

Then a few minutes later, just after I've finished venting my spleen to the missus, another 40 something woman does exactly the same by parking next to the first one but this one doesn't even have the courtesy to display a disabled badge FFS!!!! - see pic b.

It's not as if the car park was anywhere near full either - just pure laziness and not giving a foc about others.

I hate it.
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: 31 October 2018, 06:52:28 pm »

And Remain didn't/aren't?! :lol:lol

Sadly what REMAIN gave you was fear.  They pursued a similar agenda as Better Together did in 2014.  What they should have done was run a positive campaign and they would have won.

But no, whilst REMAIN was hopeless LEAVE was just down right dishonest.  There is no 350 million a week extra cash. The negotiations have not turned out to be a piece of cake.  The lie that the EU needs us more than we need them has been exposed – they don’t really give a shit if we leave.

And whatever deal we get, or no deal we will still have to tow the line with the EU.  It’s the biggest single trading market in the world that is right on our doorstep.  Once out of the EU we will continue to comply with their rules and regulations (unless that this we want commit suicide and stop trading with the EU) but we will no longer have any say or influence.  And don’t forget that EU standards and practises are now being adopted by other countries outside the EU as best practise.

that ministers cant do the same today..recognise we have made a decision, and whether they are happy with it or not, pull together to get the best outcome for the people they represent, us.

But again, two countries in this union voted to REMAIN.  Only England and Wales voted to Leave.

Why is it that one member of this union thinks it has the right to dictate to all other members?

Further did people vote to trash the economy?  Did people vote to devalue the pound?  Did people vote to become poorer?  Did people vote to make trade harder?  Did people ask to be lied to?  Did people vote to loose their jobs?

Ogri you cannot ask ministers to vote like turkeys voting for Christmas. 

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: 31 October 2018, 07:01:03 pm »
Why is it that one member of this union thinks it has the right to dictate to all other members?

Military conquest. You were weaker. Fancy another go?  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: 31 October 2018, 07:55:39 pm »
So.
Me and the missus were sat in Costa (upstairs in Next) having a lovely coffee together. Sat in a window seat with with a view out over the car park (not the greatest view in the world) but enjoying watching the world go by at the end of the working day, pointing out different cars we like or dislike, what we'd buy if we could afford it and, if we're lucky, get to see the odd motorbike or two.
So far so good.
And then, one of my REAL pet hates, a 40 something woman turns up in a Ford KA and jumps out in her velour tracksuit, obviously nothing wrong with her, and dashes into Next to buy herself something nice, after making a foccin' awful attempt at parking her car in between the bay lines, in a disabled space, which is really wide to allow genuinely disabled people enough room to exit and get back into their cars - see pic a.
To top it all off she's got a disabled badge on the dashboard which obviously isn't hers so she has probably borrowed the car & its badge off a relative or someone she knows.

Then a few minutes later, just after I've finished venting my spleen to the missus, another 40 something woman does exactly the same by parking next to the first one but this one doesn't even have the courtesy to display a disabled badge FFS!!!! - see pic b.

It's not as if the car park was anywhere near full either - just pure laziness and not giving a foc about others.

I hate it.

I agree with what you say, but not everyone "looks" disabled.
They may have a breathing condition that is worse some days than others for example.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2655 on: 31 October 2018, 08:08:08 pm »
Nope.

Noting your lack of detailed response  :rolleyes

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: 31 October 2018, 08:20:08 pm »
Military conquest. You were weaker. Fancy another go? 

Wrong! It was a voluntary union, because Scotland was broke. And we'd already taken on their King. So call it a reverse take over :evil

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: 31 October 2018, 08:21:13 pm »
Fair point about not all disabilities being visible Darrsi but the way these two jumped out of their cars and were rushing into Next, I don't think either of them had any breathing difficulties  :lol
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: 31 October 2018, 08:54:26 pm »
When people scribble notes on the top dozen or so pages of a note pad without tearing said pages off >: .
 You then daren't rip them out in case it's something important.

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: 31 October 2018, 09:04:24 pm »
Fair point about not all disabilities being visible Darrsi but the way these two jumped out of their cars and were rushing into Next, I don't think either of them had any breathing difficulties  :lol
The one Dynspud pointed out probably has one for a relative who’s disabled, I used to have one for ferrying around the MIL who had terminal cancer but I’d never have used it if she wasn’t with me. That’s just foccing bone idleness!
It’s a joke how easily some people get a blue badge though, unlike my mum who’s got osteoporosis and a pinned and plated leg after a bicycle accident which saw her retired early on medical grounds. She can’t walk very far at all but was turned down for a badge  :wall

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: 31 October 2018, 09:32:58 pm »

and what should have happened is everyone pulling together to deliver what the majority voted for. Instead, those opposed to Brexit have conspired to weaken our position through constant sniping. When we originally voted to join the Common Market, we all accepted the decision and tried to make the best from it, no sniping/bitching/most people on our street voting against etc etc.
that's all im trying to say too.
our politicians used to be able to do it, but it seems they aren't capable now
When Neville Chamberlain became pm in '37, his premiership was dominated by his foreign policy towards an ever aggressive Germany under Adold Hitler. When he realised  his "appeasement" policy (for which he will always be remembered for sadly), wasn't working and Germany invaded Poland in '39 bringing us into the war he stuck it out a bit longer then resigned in early 1940 as the allies were being forced to retreat from Norway because (and this is all im asking for from all governing parties now) he believed that a government supported by all parties was essential, and the Labour and Liberal parties would not join a Government headed by him. Although succeeded by Churchill, he remained vey well thought of,especially by tories, and became an important member of churchills war cabinet.
And that's what gets my goat.
that ministers cant do the same today..recognise we have made a decision, and whether they are happy with it or not, pull together to get the best outcome for the people they represent, us.

Yes, absolutely. If the result had been the other way, those who voted out would have buckled down and got on with it, and it would have been Italy, or Spain, or Greece, perhaps Poland or Hungary, that would be the first to leave

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: 31 October 2018, 09:47:35 pm »
So.
So far so good.

I hate it.       

:thumbdown   Agree with everything you've said,maybe bikers have more of a thing about this because they can sometimes end up disabled and more than likely it's someone like these wankers that have pulled out on you or whatever,hate 'em
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: 31 October 2018, 10:05:14 pm »

Yes, absolutely. If the result had been the other way, those who voted out would have buckled down and got on with it, and it would have been Italy, or Spain, or Greece, perhaps Poland or Hungary, that would be the first to leave.

Really?  The fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists of UKIP would have just shrugged their shoulders and said “Oh well, that’s that.” 
Perhaps another country would try to leave if we hadn’t started the process of trying to do so first.  But whatever, the way things stand, we will be the first and the last.  The other countries can now see clearly what BREXIT means.

Of course, a great many of those who believe in BREXIT want to see the EU dissolve, with country after country leaving.  But think what that means.  What is the EU?

The EU is 28 counties, trading freely without any restrictions.  If they were 28 separate countries, you would have 28 separate trade laws, 28 separate legal systems to deal with, 28 separate governments to deal with.  As a manufacturing business for example, if you wished to trade with all, you might need 28 different versions of your product to pass 28 different safety standards.  You also need 28 separate trade deals.

In other words, every country that is currently a member of the EU would end up poorer if the EU was dissolved.

It is not just fundamentally stupid to leave the EU, not to mention doing so after investing 40 years building it, but incredibly selfish. 

So we will not get a better deal than we have right now.  And if we leave, the UK will suffer economically.

But don’t forget that the Jacob Rees Moggs etc of the Tory party would like nothing more than to the see the ordinary people of this country down on their knees begging for their next fucking meal.  These people intend to become even richer and even more powerful through BREXIT.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: 31 October 2018, 10:34:29 pm »
On the very night of the referendum, when Farage thought he had lost, he was on television saying the fight wasn't over, and he wanted another vote.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: 01 November 2018, 08:04:34 am »

Nope.

Noting your lack of detailed response  :rolleyes

We're unlikely to agree on virtually anything regarding this topic even given a million years. It would just go on forever. At least it's good natured debate.

At the end of the day the indisputable facts are that Leave won, Remain lost and we're coming out :woot

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2665 on: 01 November 2018, 08:28:59 am »
So.
So far so good.

I hate it.

I agree with what you say, but not everyone "looks" disabled.
They may have a breathing condition that is worse some days than others for example.

:agree

I know several people with blue badges. Some are obviously disabled as they need walking frames/whatever to get about. The 2 closest to me in terms of family however are less obvious. My father-in-law looks a bit frail when he is walking but make him walk 100m and he is just about ready to collapse due to heart issued. My niece, who is only 20 years old has a degenerative condition that some days she can seem to be running around. Give it 20 minutes though and she will be a wheelchair for the next few days. Similarly, make her walk 200m and her legs give up. She would love to not have to use the disabled spaces but if she didn't...…..

It does p!$$ me off though when I see the gits at the local shops pull into a car park with loads of spaces and just go straight to the 2 disabled bays because they are closer to the shops.

A lot of people don't realise that its illegal to use a blue badge to park you car if the owner of the badge isn't in the car, or if they are, is not getting out of the car. After all, why do you need the disabled spaces if the disabled person can just as easily sit in the car at the far end of the car park?
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: 01 November 2018, 10:12:25 am »
At the end of the day the indisputable facts are that Leave won, Remain lost and we're coming out

Yep we are indeed coming out. If only somebody had a map of where we're going. It's like leading a bike ride and you lose 48%  of the riders at the first roundabout, and  find yourself ending up in some dead end industrial estate  :D

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: 01 November 2018, 01:38:33 pm »

Yep we are indeed coming out. If only somebody had a map of where we're going. It's like leading a bike ride and you lose 48%  of the riders at the first roundabout, and  find yourself ending up in some dead end industrial estate  :D 

Blimey. That sounds just like the last LOFO day out to David Silvers.
:rollin :rollin
« Last Edit: 01 November 2018, 01:39:54 pm by robbo »
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: 01 November 2018, 01:58:18 pm »

Really?  The fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists of UKIP would have just shrugged their shoulders and said “Oh well, that’s that.”

So 52% of the electorate are UKIP members? Hmmm.

The EU is 28 counties, trading freely without any restrictions.  If they were 28 separate countries, you would have 28 separate trade laws, 28 separate legal systems to deal with, 28 separate governments to deal with.  As a manufacturing business for example, if you wished to trade with all, you might need 28 different versions of your product to pass 28 different safety standards.  You also need 28 separate trade deals.

That's looking at it from a Remain "shoot down Brexit" point of view. The point is, some things about the EU are good - trade agreements across the membership for instance. Some not so good - the Franco/German dictatorship that says we must have this much migration, must accept these many immigrants from outside (and look how Merkel fucked that up. You said yourself you want Scottish independence so at least your mistakes will be your own - not going to be the case within the EU though, is it?  ;) ),  must standardise all laws, must eventually become a single super state etc. Personally, I think the EU should ONLY be about trade, as it once was supposed to be. Or rather, I fail to see why independent nations can't work out advantageous systems together on other things too, where it benefits all - security in the face of modern threats for instance. Cooperation yes, Brussels sovereignty? Fuck off! The only thing that gets in the way of such cooperation is self-interested politicians.

It is not just fundamentally stupid to leave the EU, not to mention doing so after investing 40 years building it, but incredibly selfish.

It's not just the UK that is being selfish, and never mind EU protectionism in the face of Brexit.
Look at Germany's behaviour towards Greece - bribery and corruption to force Greece to buy German arms, tanks etc, which kind of behaviour largely contributed to the Greek economic collapse in the first place.

And if we leave, the UK will suffer economically.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. You can't prove one way or the other. Even the top economic heads say they don't know for sure - how could they, when a deal has yet to be worked out? I know we're not there yet, but your lot were predicting economic meltdown as the immediate aftermath of the referendum, and that hasn't happened. Sure, we've lost in some ways, but we've gained in others, and I suspect that will be the true result of Brexit when we look back on it in years to come. The EU will have its own problems, as will everywhere else. The ones who will lose face are the current sensationalists, like yourself. You should relax about it more. Have another spliff!  :lol  Oh, wait, you can't - as a political animal, you think spliffs are bad, very, very baaad! :lol

But don’t forget that the Jacob Rees Moggs etc of the Tory party would like nothing more than to the see the ordinary people of this country down on their knees begging for their next fucking meal.  These people intend to become even richer and even more powerful through BREXIT.

All politicians intend to become richer and even more powerful off the back of whatever happens, Brexit or Remain, Labour or Tory, or SNP for that matter. And that certainly goes for the politicians of the EU, with their own corporate connections and interests.
« Last Edit: 01 November 2018, 05:47:24 pm by Hedgetrimmer »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: 01 November 2018, 01:59:21 pm »
Blimey. That sounds just like the last LOFO day out to David Silvers.

Well spotted!   ;)  But unlike Brexit, we all made it home in one piece  :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2670 on: 01 November 2018, 06:18:00 pm »
And we did all get to where we wanted to go.......
One, is never going to be enough.....

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: 01 November 2018, 06:55:33 pm »

That's looking at it from a Remain "shoot down Brexit" point of view.
No it’s simple economics.  If there was no EU and you were a UK manufacturer, the fact is you would more than likely have to choose which countries within Europe you wished to trade with, as very few but the biggest companies would be able to handle the complexities of trading with all.
It’s a simple economic fact that if there was no EU, there would be less trade across Europe.  Less trade means smaller economies = less wealth.
Obviously, the EU requires standardisation of laws relating to trade.  That’s an advantage not a disadvantage.  The EU will never become a single super state – that’s just nonsense.
Or rather, I fail to see why independent nations can't work out advantageous systems together on other things too, where it benefits all - security in the face of modern threats for instance.
Perhaps you mean the EU counter-terrorism strategy that BREXIT will take us out of.
Perhaps. Perhaps not. You can't prove one way or the other. Even the top economic heads say they don't know for sure - how could they, when a deal has yet to be worked out?
Well yes you are right here.  Because 1 – we may not actually leave or 2 – we may remain in a customs union or as continuing members of the single market.  But what we do know is that a no deal BREXIT crash out of the EU will have a substantial and immediate economic impact on the UK.

The ones who will lose face are the current sensationalists, like yourself. You should relax about it more. Have another spliff!  :lol  Oh, wait, you can't - as a political animal, you think spliffs are bad, very, very baaad! :lol
My employer has a policy of random drink and drug testing.  Not an option for me I’m afraid.
Jacob Rees-Mogg was educated at Eton.  He is a hedge fund manager.  His net worth is estimated at in excess of 100 million pounds.  He’s in parliament to look after his own interest. 

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: 01 November 2018, 06:56:52 pm »
That sounds about right.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: 01 November 2018, 07:08:30 pm »

Yep we are indeed coming out.
Well I’m not sure.  I notice nobody wants to have a stab at where the border will go.
As I understand it the current situation is;
The EU wants to keep NI in the customs union, and therefore there will be no border between NI and EIRE. 
But that's no good for May, as the DUP will bring down the government and Scotland will in turn demand the border be moved from between us and NI to between us and England. 
So May has proposed a backstop, which seems to be we sort of leave the EU, but have some extra time to figure out how to leave the single market. 
And I suspect, at the end of the day, particularly as the EU is now prepared to compromise on free movement, we’ll sort of jump on a roundabout and jump off at a later date where we got on.
So are we leaving the EU?  Possibly not.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: 01 November 2018, 07:41:28 pm »
I don't think the EU cares whether NI is in the Customs Union or not. What they are saying is that Eire definitely is, so if UK is leaving the Customs Union, then there has to be a border somewhere. Either an Irish Border, or a GB border. It's totally our problem, and Theresa and Co say neither is OK in the long term (short term backstop is a smokescreen).
I think we will leave the EU, but will join the Customs Union and the Single Market. Just like Norway and Switzerland. We'll get some concessions on how much we pay and what rules we take.
So what's the point? It will please neither side of the voting halves. I'd rather be in the tent pissing out, rather outside pissing into the wind  :)