Date: 27-04-24  Time: 09:56 am

Author Topic: Today's "What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS!  (Read 667151 times)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: Today's "What Gets My Goat"
« Reply #2625 on: 30 October 2018, 06:03:32 pm »
Today what gets my goat - moron journalist shouting stupid glib questions across the street to MPs as they come out of number 10 Philip Hammond today was one.
But wait a minute.  What is all that pish.  The chancellor going through the archaic practise of standing on the steps 11 downing street holding up Gladstone’s little red box.
What a load of pish.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: 30 October 2018, 06:20:33 pm »

what gets my goat (not just today bit for the past two years)...MPs from every political party finding themselves unable to unite and do whats best for the country instead of bitching about all their own personal agendas and petty grievances. The UK got the Brexit vote, and it was to leave.

Well yeah.  I want my politicians to so the best for my country, and my country voted overwhelmingly to REMAIN.  The UK may well have voted to leave, but two countries within that union voted to REMAIN.

Its a done deal.

Far from it.  And let us not forget why we were given this referendum.  It wasn’t for the good of the people, it wasn’t for the benefit of the public.  It was offered in a Tory manifesto, purely in order to temporarily pull together a divided Tory party in order to win a general election.  Of course on the basis, that well, we’ll worry about the referendum after we win the election.  And they didn’t worry about it too much cos they didn’t think people would be dumb enough to pay too much attention the fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists of UKIP.
Doh! :'(   Doh doh doh!  :'( :'( :'( :'(
do whats best for us
Phillip Hammond has already stated that yesterdays budget was based on a good deal BREXIT, ie continued tariff free access to the single market.  If there is no deal, he will tear yesterday’s budget up and pull out the emergency budget he’s already working on.  Could make the financial crash of 2008 look like a storm in a tea cup.

As for really doing the best for us.  The best deal is the deal we already have.

Oh and if there isn’t full single market access or a customs union – where is the border going to go.  Where do we put the border? 

Further, if there is no single market/customs union deal, there will be a second Scottish referendum.
So whether its what those that run the country wanted or not
I would argue that we are a representative democracy.  Our members of parliament must, or they should act in the public interest.  They need to grow a few pairs and ditch BREXIT.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: 30 October 2018, 06:21:50 pm »
BREXIT?  Foccing BREXIT?   Did somebody mention BREXIT.
Yes BREXIT gets my fucking goat big time. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: 30 October 2018, 08:19:42 pm »
He's definitely back from his holiday fully refreshed and spouting his usual clap trap

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: 30 October 2018, 08:48:02 pm »
He's definitely back from his holiday fully refreshed and spouting his usual clap trap
Somebody definately mentioned BREXIT :eek     And it really foccin does gets my fecin goat. >:

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: 30 October 2018, 09:00:43 pm »
Why do people keep telling me how cold i’m s’posed to apparently be?

“Ooohh, you must be freezing on that bike?”

Erm, no, i’ve not felt cold once yet actually.
I wear a bike jacket, balaclava, helmet......in fact i feel bloody hot with the heated grips on.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: 30 October 2018, 11:43:50 pm »

I wear a bike jacket, balaclava, helmet......in fact i feel bloody hot with the heated grips on.

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: 31 October 2018, 12:04:37 am »
Well yeah.  I want my politicians to so the best for my country, and my country voted overwhelmingly to REMAIN.  The UK may well have voted to leave, but two countries within that union voted to REMAIN.
In the 2014 independance referendum Scotland also voted by just over 55% to REMAIN in the UK union ;) .

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: 31 October 2018, 12:28:44 am »
Any referendum is only valid for the date it is taken. The following day the result would be different. That's why we have governments...

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: 31 October 2018, 08:19:55 am »
.....unless the result of the EU referendum had been Remain. In which case the issue would have been declared settled in perpetuity :lol

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: 31 October 2018, 09:42:06 am »
and what should have happened is everyone pulling together to deliver what the majority voted for. Instead, those opposed to Brexit have conspired to weaken our position through constant sniping. When we originally voted to join the Common Market, we all accepted the decision and tried to make the best from it, no sniping/bitching/most people on our street voting against etc etc.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: 31 October 2018, 09:50:30 am »

When we originally voted to join the Common Market

There's never been a vote to join.

On both occasions the government had already taken us in and the referendum was about deciding to remain or leave.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: 31 October 2018, 10:05:27 am »
unless the result of the EU referendum had been Remain. In which case the issue would have been declared settled in perpetuity

Like there was in 1975?

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: 31 October 2018, 10:39:27 am »

unless the result of the EU referendum had been Remain. In which case the issue would have been declared settled in perpetuity

Like there was in 1975?

That was a referendum regarding remaining or leaving the EEC.

The more recent one concerned remaining or leaving the European Union which had been formed in 1993.

The EU is significantly different to the old EEC. As I believe was reflected by the different result.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: 31 October 2018, 10:42:18 am »

You also hear it in the summer -"oooh I bet your hot on that aint you"
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2640 on: 31 October 2018, 10:51:57 am »

and what should have happened is everyone pulling together to deliver what the majority voted for. Instead, those opposed to Brexit have conspired to weaken our position through constant sniping. When we originally voted to join the Common Market, we all accepted the decision and tried to make the best from it, no sniping/bitching/most people on our street voting against etc etc.
that's all im trying to say too.
our politicians used to be able to do it, but it seems they aren't capable now
When Neville Chamberlain became pm in '37, his premiership was dominated by his foreign policy towards an ever aggressive Germany under Adold Hitler. When he realised  his "appeasement" policy (for which he will always be remembered for sadly), wasn't working and Germany invaded Poland in '39 bringing us into the war he stuck it out a bit longer then resigned in early 1940 as the allies were being forced to retreat from Norway because (and this is all im asking for from all governing parties now) he believed that a government supported by all parties was essential, and the Labour and Liberal parties would not join a Government headed by him. Although succeeded by Churchill, he remained vey well thought of,especially by tories, and became an important member of churchills war cabinet.
And that's what gets my goat.
that ministers cant do the same today..recognise we have made a decision, and whether they are happy with it or not, pull together to get the best outcome for the people they represent, us.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: 31 October 2018, 11:22:38 am »
Thee EEC evolved into the EU. The EU is constantly evolving. Do Brexiters really know what the future is? It doesn't seem like it at the moment. Other than blue passports and a 50p coin, of course.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: 31 October 2018, 11:29:45 am »
It's funny really. I think quite a few folks voted for Brexit as a kick in the nuts to the politicians who'd lost sight of the majority of people's experience and hopes. Some Remainers might say that was a suicidal thing to do, yet the same Remainers are quite willing to destroy a UK that is outside of the EU just to be able to say "told you so."

Personally, they can all go to hell. I'm just tired of political types entirely; "we know what's good for you"; breathtaking arrogance, just like VNA - trouble is, none of them seem to be able to deliver on "what's good for us"  :rolleyes

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: 31 October 2018, 11:58:27 am »

Thee EEC evolved into the EU.

It required the Maastricht Treaty to be signed off by member states before it could be implemented.
John Major wielded the pen on behalf of all of us.

If it had stayed as the EEC, or something broadly similar we'd probably still be in it. :rolleyes

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: 31 October 2018, 01:53:06 pm »
Thereby lies the problem. What do Brexiteers want? Some want to stay in EFTA, some don't. Some want Financial Passporting, , some don't. There is no Brexit plan until the government publishes it, and then some Brexiteers will like it and some won't. All Remainers won't like it. How does that represent 'the will of the people' and that's why we are currently in the shit (or merde depending on your allegiance)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: 31 October 2018, 04:50:24 pm »
But there wasn't about 10 different versions of 'Leave' available as options on the ballot paper :rolleyes . Just a basic leave or remain. The majority voted Leave.

Short of compulsory genuflecting to the unelected European Commision I can't imagine you'd ever satisfy most of the Remainers :lol

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: 31 October 2018, 05:12:32 pm »
Remain was stay with the status quo. A simple choice which they all agreed on. In a referendum you can only have two choices. Perhaps the alternative to Remain should have been a clear and honest 'No deals with the EU at all'. Then we might of got a different result, as voters might have been more cautious. Instead the Leave campaigns gave us a load of lies, false promises and intentional confusion. Which of course they can't deliver.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: 31 October 2018, 05:34:13 pm »
Instead the Leave campaigns gave us a load of lies and intentional confusion.
And Remain didn't/aren't?! :lol :lol

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: 31 October 2018, 05:44:07 pm »
Nope. All their predictions are coming true. £ has dived, manufacturers and finance are planning to leave the UK, we're being thrown out of European joint ventures. Meanwhile Farage's 2 children have got German passports, and that 'patriot' Dyson is going to build his new car in..... Singapore. Which has incidentally just signed a trade deal with the EU.

Sounds like 'project fear' is 'project true' to me.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: 31 October 2018, 06:12:47 pm »