Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:11 pm

Author Topic: Selling a bike - chancers and time wasters  (Read 1986 times)

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Selling a bike - chancers and time wasters
« on: 03 May 2021, 04:54:05 pm »
Is it just me or have others had this?

I put the Gen1 on the market a couple of weeks ago and I've had nothing but chancers offering well below the asking price and expecting me to deliver it to locations miles away, or time wasters who make reasonable offers, but then don't seem to be able to come up with the money and just disappear.

I'm in the fortunate position that I don't have to sell the bike, but I don't like the idea of it just sitting in the garage.

Is this a common experience?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Selling a bike - chancers and time wasters
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2021, 06:18:18 pm »
I take it that you have NEVER tried to sell stuff via classified style private adds.Its the same with anything you want to try and sell like that. I know you get hardly anything compared but doing a part exchange sometimes is worth the lower amount just to avoid all that crap. (I know you are not looking for a PX )     
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2021, 07:24:46 pm »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 02:29:10 pm by YamFazFan »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2021, 08:04:02 pm »
Tbh this is why I just use ebay. Costs a bit as they take the piss with vehicle selling charges but get much more chance of actually selling to someone that's going to show up. Plus you can require an immediate deposit at the end of the bid which helps weed out the wasters

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2021, 10:59:31 pm »
Thanks for the responses.

I have to admit it's a long time since I sold a bike this way, but at least when I did it before I got some replies from genuine buyers. This time every reply seems to be from an arsehole.

Although I've already got another bike, so don't need to PX it, I may try these people www.bikesanctuary.co.uk who buy bikes and also, supposedly, will sell your bike from their dealership. Anyone had any dealings with them?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2021, 08:16:35 am »
Thanks for the responses.

I have to admit it's a long time since I sold a bike this way, but at least when I did it before I got some replies from genuine buyers. This time every reply seems to be from an arsehole.

Although I've already got another bike, so don't need to PX it, I may try these people www.bikesanctuary.co.uk who buy bikes and also, supposedly, will sell your bike from their dealership. Anyone had any dealings with them?
Actually now you mention it, some time ago I was browsing bikes on dealer/ trader websites and I think I was coming across "commission sale" so sounds like the same thing. So they would take a cut of the sale price I suppose and they put up with all the hassle.

acid drop

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Yamaha MT-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2021, 07:36:01 pm »
  I always trade my bikes in, it is less stressful

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2021, 08:36:18 pm »
  I always trade my bikes in, it is less stressful
A few years ago I was looking at a second hand street triple in a triumph dealership and he wouldn't appraise my bike for PX until I would commit to buying the triple.   :finger
« Last Edit: 04 May 2021, 08:36:52 pm by fazersharp »

Andy Clap

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Fazer 600
« Reply #8 on: 07 May 2021, 12:23:55 am »
I'm going to be putting my decent foxeye 600 on here soon.  Other than here it will be eBay, other free sites attract just the sort of individual you describe, very frustrating.

john roche

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000, vfr750
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2021, 08:23:29 am »
A few years ago, maybe 10 or 15, I was passing a local bke shop and saw it had 'closing', 'last day' type notices in the window. I got off to have a look and saw my mates bike which they were selling on commision was still in there. I rang him and found he had't beeen told they were closing so he came over and got his bike back before they did.
The devil made me do it!

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2021, 05:58:17 pm »
The saga continues!

I thought I'd try wewantyourmotorbike.com, just to see what they'd offer. Turns out they don't, milage is too high for them, they put you on to motorbike trader.co.uk (looks like the same company) also not interested.

Anyway, I contacted bikesanctuary.co.uk, they didn't respond at all initially, when I phoned them they claimed their own website form had gone to their junk folder. Finally got an offer from them, about what I expected from a dealer, which I accepted to avoid the c*nts I've been dealing with.

However, piss-up and brewery come to mind. They are obviously a new firm and totally disorganised, so as big a waste of time as the others!

Upshot is that the bike remains available and if anyone on here is interested, they could get a very good deal!