Date: 22-05-24  Time: 15:30 pm

Author Topic: when does filtering become DWDC?  (Read 7639 times)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Re: when does filtering become DWDC?
« Reply #25 on: 15 June 2015, 11:13:12 am »
Just caught up with this thread (been on my hols)

You've got to look at regional differences here too.

Filtering in London is seen very differently as for instance in Blackpool. I was taught to ride in London by a city riding veteran, and its brutal in comparison, but the car drivers are used to it. Ride like that in Blackpool/Preston, and you'll get pulled by the law, or not seen and probably knocked off!

As for legal side of filtering. As long as your not doing stupid stuff like making people take evasive action, or being dangerous/endangering other road users, then it's a case of just be careful.

The speed is up to you, just think of how it looks filtering at 30,40,50 to other road users who maybe are not bikers, and could very well be an unmarked cop car with video fitted. Condemning evidence to a layman in court.

Ride safe guys! ;)
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 June 2015, 12:41:15 pm »
Filtering itself is not illegal. Even undertaking (overtaking on the left) is perfectly legal now.

If you filter or undertake it is for the police to prove that your standard of riding fell below what would be considered acceptable.

It will be DWDC if you weave from lane to lane, suddenly cut across the front of vehicles, or ride too aggressively between them.

So filtering on its own cannot be DWDC. If you ride smoothly and safely, do not take risks, and do not compromise the safety of others then you shouldn't have a problem. Speed does not make any difference here.

If done sensible it is ok for example this chap  :lol

This chap reminds me of me when a courier in London. Only joking.
I think I've seen this bike for sale, low mileage, never been thrashed, slightly used limiter and horn
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #27 on: 16 June 2015, 10:52:57 pm »
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 June 2015, 11:03:10 pm »
Cops I've spoken to about this subject and other things bike related have always quoted "you must be able to stop on your own side of the road that can be seen" so in general terms, if it's deemed that you can't when your filtering and an accident prevales, guess who's at fault? Regardless of the cage driver turning into your path as you filter :eek
Law is an ass really.
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #29 on: 16 June 2015, 11:52:13 pm »
I've just posted this link on the Fazer Down thread, but it's worth repeating here.

Here's a list of some legal precedents for filtering accidents

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 17 June 2015, 12:11:46 am »
Cops I've spoken to about this subject and other things bike related have always quoted "you must be able to stop on your own side of the road that can be seen" so in general terms, if it's deemed that you can't when your filtering and an accident prevales, guess who's at fault? Regardless of the cage driver turning into your path as you filter :eek
Law is an ass really.

Acually cops do not have any word whatsoever on the legality of filtering. They can do you for dangerous driving, but again nothing to do with filtering per se which is perfectly legal.

London cops are pretty relaxed about filtering. Obviously for local ones filtering may look like thousands of kittens bloodbath  :eek

Anyway if there is an accident thankfully not the cops, but the court decides who is to blame  :D
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

Razgruff

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R XS750
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17 June 2015, 12:17:43 am »
Am I the only person to have knocked down two people when filtering on 2 separate occasions in 2 different towns  :rollin
Hit a flower seller coming out of London on the Westway.
And hit a woman who jumped out in front of a parked Bus on the High street in Oxford.
Only time I been hit by a car was in Banbury in a similar situation to Red98's
I finds peds will throw themselves at you because they only see the queued cars and don't look for bikes at all, and on dark nights they will wear Ninja clothing just to make your job harder at trying to spot them. :rolleyes

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 17 June 2015, 06:16:13 am »
Am I the only person to have knocked down two people when filtering on 2 separate occasions in 2 different towns  :rollin

And for that, you win first prize :woot

Of course.......unless anyone knows different??  :rollin
Colin
----------------------

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 17 June 2015, 06:23:59 am »

Acually cops do not have any word whatsoever on the legality of filtering. They can do you for dangerous driving, but again nothing to do with filtering per se which is perfectly legal.

London cops are pretty relaxed about filtering.

Anyway if there is an accident thankfully not the cops, but the court decides who is to blame  :D

Yeah I know the courts decide but they put a report in and can deal with it on the spot if you wish to accept it and you could end up with a fine and points if you do. Lots of people would 'take the punishment' there and then to save the hassle of going to court.

Most Scottish cops I've seen when I've been filtering are ok about it too, unless your an idiot of course.
Colin
----------------------

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 17 June 2015, 10:37:08 am »
 Should a filtering 'accident' be reported by the Police and end up in court for whatever reason, and no dangerous, or due care definitions be breached, they will use 'stated cases' as previously mentioned.

However, there's a stated case that was proved last year which moved the goalposts in our favour for a change.

It's gone from 50/50 blame to I believe something like 25/75 in our favour!!!

Just don't do what the R6 rider did yesterday when I was taking my daughter on a driving lesson. He came flying past on a nsl B road at about 13,000rpm. He scared the shit out of both of us!
Just something else to be aware of when filtering is taking the cager by suprise. Most of them are blissfully aware your even there.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #35 on: 17 June 2015, 01:08:25 pm »

I don't know, but I did scare the $hit out of one idiot who thought that because two lanes of traffic were stopped, he could cross the road without bothering to check anything was coming, so got the fright of his life when I was filtering between them and gave him a blast on my horn!

(He wasn't in any danger because I'd already clocked him since I always look out for pillocks like that, but maybe it will teach him to be a bit more careful next time :) )

pointer2null

• Ye canna' change the laws of physics!
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - NC750X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 17 June 2015, 01:55:10 pm »
When I did the BikeSafe they guy said the 20:20 law. Traffic no more that 20MPH and you no more that 20 faster than the traffic. I personally twist that to I won't do more that 40 max, so even if traffic doing 30 I'll still filter.