Date: 28-04-24  Time: 02:26 am

Author Topic: Tall / touring screen  (Read 9043 times)

Newgolddream

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Tall / touring screen
« on: 28 July 2013, 09:41:25 pm »
Anyone know of a sensibly priced taller or touring screen that works for my '04 FZ6. I'm 6' tall but long body so getting a bit of a battering with standard screen.
Are there any decent add-ons to the original screen?

Also, could do with a second hand luggage rack and fittings if anyone has one laying around.

The old FZS was so much more practical and easier to to buy accessories for!

If it ain't broke.......just tinker with it a little anyway!

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: Tall / touring screen
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2013, 04:40:04 am »
Take it your bike is the half-faired version and not the naked one?
IIRC Yamaha do a taller screen for it (not sure of price, around £90 if memory serves) - whether it's any better than the standard one is probably subjective (I'm running the standard screen on mine) and will differ between riders.

Try Givi or Puig for alternatives screens too.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2013, 09:31:53 am »
If your a tall one, then longer screens tend to be a bit noisy in my experience.
I'm 6'1" and my last two bikes (fz1s and tiger 1050) have both posessed tall touring screens, and have been almost unbearable to the point where earplugs were even useless! I cut the touring screen down on my fz1, and it was still bad. I've now got a much shorter d/b screen which is miles better!
You can guage it by ducking your head down a few inches and see if it gets any noisyer, likewise raising yourself up off the saddle and see where the clean/quiet air is. Give it a go, and it might help you decide on what you need. Good luck::)
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Newgolddream

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2013, 09:27:43 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys. If you see someone bobbing up & down on an FZ6 it's likley to be me.

Screen on the FZ doesn't seem much different to the old FZS in height - but that was a flip-up.
If it ain't broke.......just tinker with it a little anyway!

theglove1978

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2013, 01:11:22 pm »
I share your pain -  :) .

I'm 6ft 4 and although i'm a new biker, the buffeting on my 99 Fazer is frightening, especially on the M6!!!

I initially (on the M'way) was gripping so hard i had to be prised off when i got home  :) [size=78%].  [/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Getting used to it now but appreciate the advice on the taller screens and ducking!! [/size]

feraboy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2013, 06:31:17 pm »
Touring screen on my 09 S2 600, bloody useless, I'm short 5' 6" but the buffeting and wind noise make riding at anything over 60ish very unpleasant, high speed touring for any reasonable length of time is not possible. Thinking of trying a standard screen

hawkeye

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • - CD 175 1974
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2013, 04:42:33 pm »
I have been thinking of a taller one on my 07 FZ6 but mate changed his to a double bubble and it made more sense
-better ride ,less noise.

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 September 2013, 11:58:05 pm »
I had a Yamaha touring screen on my 05 when I bought it, I hated it, the wind hit from the chin up, I fitted a standard screen and much prefer it, the wind hits my chest now.
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

Doubleclix

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2013, 01:01:50 pm »
You can guage it by ducking your head down a few inches and see if it gets any noisyer, likewise raising yourself up off the saddle and see where the clean/quiet air is. Give it a go, and it might help you decide on what you need. Good luck::)

Actually hadn't thought of doing that! I'm tempted to invest in a much higher screen. Will try bobbing up and down on the way home.

Ta for the tip :D

Ianboydsnr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 December 2013, 04:13:47 pm »
I bought this one, I had to cut 3 inches off, it was made by givi!

lil miss bump

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint 955i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2014, 11:06:43 am »
Anyone know of a sensibly priced taller or touring screen that works for my '04 FZ6. I'm 6' tall but long body so getting a bit of a battering with standard screen.

Also, could do with a second hand luggage rack and fittings if anyone has one laying around.

Hi it's obviously been a long time since you posted this but just back on forum and wondered if you solved it or still looking? I'm selling bits and bobs from my 04 FZ6 - the half faired version. I had a summer screen of a puig double bubble but for winter I had a puig touring screen which was very high. I'm selling that one for £30 plus postage or can be collected - was about £75 new If you're still interested let me know and can send pics. Apologies if not :-)
« Last Edit: 22 May 2014, 11:07:23 am by lil miss bump »

rasco

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 June 2014, 09:50:36 pm »

Hi it's obviously been a long time since you posted this but just back on forum and wondered if you solved it or still looking? I'm selling bits and bobs from my 04 FZ6 - the half faired version. I had a summer screen of a puig double bubble but for winter I had a puig touring screen which was very high. I'm selling that one for £30 plus postage or can be collected - was about £75 new If you're still interested let me know and can send pics. Apologies if not :-)

Are you selling the double bubble? I'd be interested. Also be keen to know what else you're selling, cheers!

yourebarred

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 June 2014, 08:59:06 am »
I'm now selling a Yamaha touring screen in the for sale section