Date: 28-04-24  Time: 00:21 am

Author Topic: Scary Halloween moment  (Read 2094 times)

Newgolddream

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Scary Halloween moment
« on: 04 November 2012, 07:06:44 pm »
Halloween did start in a particularly scary way - crashed on the way to work!

Negotiating a roundabout on a dual carriageway in right hand lane to go straight on a car towing a horse box in the left hand lane decided to turn right - right across my exit! With the accompanying bang, crunch, grate of metal and plastic as I slid/rolled across the road narrowly avoiding going under the horse box (fortunately no horse inside). I only suffered minor bumps, bruises and scratches.

Anyway, this being my first dealings with insurance for many a year, it seems proceedures have changed somewhat. I took insurance this year through Bennetts and it seems they are just a shop front as I am now having to deal with 3 other companies; Minster Law, BLD & Equity Red Star (underwriters).

As a warning, if you report a claim to Bennets also report it to the underwriters yourself as Bennetts don't!
BLD picked-up my bike the next day and have provided me with a hire bike until it's all sorted and seem to be just dealing with the bike side of the claim.

Minster Law were soon on the phone to try and sort out any personal injury claim making sure I even kept receipts for a box of paracetamol.

It all seems so disjointed and complicated. Why do these things in life just get harder. I was always under the impression that new systems were put in place to make things simpler - how wrong I am.

Anyway, has anyone else had dealings with the above companies and how did you get on?

I am now without my lovely Fazer and have been given a Bandit 650 hire bike (ugh! I'm struggling to find confidence in the front end) I just want my Fazer back (if it's not written-off) a.s.a.p so I can just get on with life in quiet normality. :'(

Any advice gratefully received.

If it ain't broke.......just tinker with it a little anyway!

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Re: Scary Halloween moment
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2012, 07:26:32 pm »
I found BLD great to deal with. But the personal injuries lawyer sucks ass

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2012, 10:24:48 pm »
keep a record of every thing you and they do, if poss. record any phone calls or confirm in writing. make sure you get the amount for your bike you would have to pay a motorcycle shop to supply it and not what they would pay you for it.
If your bike is written off you will loose any time the policy has to run unless you transfer it quickly, I lost 4 months on mine because it took 7 weeks to claim off MY insurance, and over a year to claim of the other persons insurance, then had to claim back what I'd paid extra in insurance cause I'd lost some of my NCB.

The thing that sticks in my mind is when I sent the keys and paper work to Carol Nash, on phoning to see when they would send me the cheque they said they hadn't got the keys etc, when I told them I had sent them tracked and had been delivered before 10am that day he said, well they will be downstairs and not in my office, my reply was well get off your fat a**e and get them. Dont think he did cause it was still 3 days before I got the cheque.

I'm not even going to start on about the claims lawyer who was charging £199 + vat per hour.                      rant over.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 November 2012, 10:50:12 pm »
at least your ok, whatever else happens.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #4 on: 04 November 2012, 11:16:17 pm »
Glad to hear you're ok and hope the insurance gets sorted soon...

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2012, 06:45:43 am »
We enter a "war zone" every time we ride so we dont need the extra hassle of the insurance/compensation lawyer "minefield" as well :eek
On a brighter note glad you escaped serious injury-but as said dont be bullied/pressurised into accepting less than it would cost to replace your bike with one of equal quality and dont ever think insurance companies are there for your benefit :'( Its a whole can of worms & needs a bloody good sort out :eek

manuel32

• Club Racer
  • Do it yourself!
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 November 2012, 07:17:14 am »
Well you just have to expect them drivers to do silly things,,

STAY AWARE

EXPECT THEM TO DO IT

IF YOU ARE """"NEAR""" A CAR , VAN, LORRY EVEN A BIKE,,""""THINK" HOW WILL THEY TRY TO KILL ME!!!!!!! :lol

Only a friendly reminder :evil ,, but correct.

Hope it all gets sorted soon,

Billy.
I know its only the internet but they are real people ! ain't they?

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 November 2012, 11:01:18 am »
Same thing for me last year, BLD and Minster Law.

BLD got the money back for my bike (an XJ 900) to near the value I paid for it so that bit was good

Minster Law still faffing about with medical reports etc and its now over a year since the accident. They keep in touch by E mail though...

I know what you mean about the 650 Bandit, bloody awful and cold as well without a fairing, I rode it through last winter.

Newgolddream

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 November 2012, 02:21:42 pm »
Hi all, thanks for you comments and advice. Early indications are that bike will be written off :'( .
So i will be looking for a good 99-01 600 with crash bungs! :lol

JZS, yes the Bandit is unfaired -typical- just as it turns colder. It's the first unfaired bike i've had since 125 days and it has reminded me why. The sooner I get a Fazer again the better.

UG

• Bitch Dungle.
  • GP Hero
  • DaveG is a moron
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TIGER 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 November 2012, 06:41:36 pm »
Sounds like you both got your lanes mixed up

DaveG is..... The Deer Hunter

BennyBoy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 November 2012, 09:55:16 pm »
Dude, I'm really glad to hear you're ok.

If you are struggling with the injury side and have legal cover.. give bikelawyer a call and get them nominated as you're lawyers. You can reach them on 01446 794 199.

They are top blokes and are currently handling a claim for me.  Their lead lawyer (Andrew Campbell) writes the MCN legal column in his spare time)... Ask for Hywel and tell him Ben B says hi!  And no, i do not get a referral fee ;)

After a few crashed over the years (2 bikes and a van) - I can say nobody will do half the job these guys do.

As for the rest of it.. I'm sorry to hear another fizzer bites the dust.. and only a few months after mine was murdered too :(  if that gold bad-boy in your profile pic was yours.. it was a beauty!

Newgolddream

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 November 2012, 07:15:31 am »
Well, sad day yesterday, confirmation it's a write-off :( . Why do we (or is it only me) get so attached to lumps of metal and plastic?

Another lesson learned also - try to insure things for their value to you and not just what you paid for them. Insurance had no hesitation in offering me the insured value of the bike. It must have been a bargain when i bought it because I don't think I'll get that much bike for that much money now!

Anybody know if it's possible to buy parts of the bike back from insurance?

Hi BennyBoy, thanks for the details of Bike lawyer. Injuries are very minor so I will see how I get on with Minster first and yes - profile pic is the bike concerned :'( . My daily commute through all seasons was still looking great so the tough search starts now for a replacement.

justy1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - fzs 600 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 November 2012, 08:59:09 am »
thought you could buy your bike/car back its been writen off?

reason why most get writen off is because it'll cost more to repair then the bike/car is worth? mate of mines had his car writen off 3 times & every time hes bought it back off the insurance company & repair the damage himself???

i maybe wrong????

justy1000