Date: 28-04-24  Time: 07:13 am

Author Topic: Hi Fi help!  (Read 1484 times)

Newgolddream

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Hi Fi help!
« on: 27 August 2012, 09:38:51 pm »
Hi, are there any audio-techies (not sure thats a word) out there? I have an old Denon UCD-90 CD player that has stopped reading the discs. It will initially spin up but cannot read or display any info. I have tried lens cleaning but no change. Any-one have any ideas/answers and if it is economical to fix (Richer Sounds do a similar player for £100). Any info very much appreciated. Ta.   
If it ain't broke.......just tinker with it a little anyway!

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Hi Fi help!
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2012, 09:56:18 pm »
If you're lucky, the disc is slipping on the spindle... degreasing the ring the disc sits on has solved that problem for me on a few occasions.
Sometimes the laser unit has got stuck at one end of it's travel. If you can wind it to the middle of it's range and then try to get it to read a disc again it might start working. If the laser is still where you left it (it should have moved near the inner edge of the disc after you've tried that) then the player isn't driving the worm gear for some reason.

Often though, it's a laser failure. It is possible to change the laser assembly, but finding the right one is harder than fitting it. Replacement is a simpler option.

Newgolddream

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2012, 10:08:50 pm »
Thanks Fazerider - I'll give those a go. If it's still not working I'll have to stop being so tight and just replace it. After nearly 20 years of use it doesn't really owe me anything! 

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2012, 01:54:30 am »
Although you've tried cleaning (I'm assuming a lens cleaner disc), if you're handy with a screwdriver it might be worth a look in anyway - lens cleaners don't always get everything.

I got a Playstation 2 years ago from an old workmate with the same symptoms - he thought the whole unit was kaput and bought a new one, so I asked for the old one. Had it apart in 5 minutes, and found a huge great bloody piece of grit inside...cleaned out and it worked no problem after that.

The other thing to check before you condemn it is dry joints / loose connections - a dry solder joint will appear a dull, matt grey instead of the usual shiny silver, and plug / socket joints can fail over time.

pointer2null

• Ye canna' change the laws of physics!
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - NC750X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2012, 08:29:21 pm »
I spent 8 years fixing this sort of stuff, so I'd say the most probable cause (since you've cleaned the lens [assuming you didn't use vodka or something daft]) is the laser has failed. Cost for the unit - can be anywhere from £30 upward plus labour.

Newgolddream

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2012, 11:25:58 am »
Thanks guys for all the advice. I,ve tried a few things with no success so I'm off to shake the old piggy bank pretty hard.