Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:19 pm

Author Topic: Taking the downpipes off any tips?  (Read 2539 times)

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Taking the downpipes off any tips?
« on: 04 May 2013, 11:34:23 pm »
Just found out that my pipes have a crack in two places of what I know of. Any one ever taken them off and if so how easy is it?

Been told that the bolts can sometimes weld to engine and snap.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Taking the downpipes off any tips?
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2013, 11:41:54 pm »
From what ive read so far, folk spray the bolts with wd40 for at least a week before they even attempt to get them off but even then ive seen pictures of the studs snapping off, tbh with you if it was me i'd take my bike to a garage for this one as at least they'll have the tools if anything does go pear shaped & the bike wont be stuck at your house with the exhaust half hanging off.
but im not getting into the foc-u spirit & im sure lots will now say give it a bash and see what happens.

good luch :)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2013, 12:11:16 am »
:wall for the umpteenth foccing time... Not wd40! Use a proper penetrating oil, plus gas, or the products made by 3in1 or wd40, that are designed specifically for the job. Wd40 (in the blue and yellow can) is good at what it was designed for - water displacement.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2013, 12:42:46 am »
:wall for the umpteenth foccing time... Not wd40! Use a proper penetrating oil, plus gas, or the products made by 3in1 or wd40, that are designed specifically for the job. Wd40 (in the blue and yellow can) is good at what it was designed for - water displacement.

:lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2013, 03:02:26 am »

aw foc i tried typing 'penetrating oil as used by UB40 on their bikes'................... but the auto spell typed out wd40 :rolleyes

Honest Rich!!! :D
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2013, 03:13:58 am »

aw foc i tried typing 'penetrating oil as used by UB40 on their bikes'................... but the auto spell typed out wd40 :rolleyes

:rollin

Your search function broken again Lewis?  :lol

As the others have said: soak them in penetrating fluid for at least a few days first and then pray they don't snap, better get your lucky boxers on that day  ;)

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2013, 07:00:43 am »
The problem here is that the metal @ the exhaust ports gets extremely hot and when you ride in bad/wet weather all the crap gets thrown up on the front of the engine-mud/water/salt etc,which is an ideal recipe for corrosion. So unless you are fanatical about cleaning  the first time you notice theres a problem is when your exhaust starts to blow & you find the exhaust nuts refuse to budge. As said-spray around studs/nuts with PENETRATING oil-nothing else- for several days and if the nuts refuse to loosen-don't force them or you could end up with broken studs stuck in the cylinder.
If you run a search you will find this topic has been covered by many foccers-the main thing is not to rush at things-you could end up in a world of pain & expense! :eek

griff86

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2013, 08:24:24 am »
I soaked mine in plus gas for a week and most of them still didn't budge.

I had to use oxy acetylene in the end to get them proper hot, came off nicely after that

If I was you I'd find someone with some oxy, also copper grease the studs when you rebuild them because you won't have any problems taking them off again if you do.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2013, 08:30:22 am »

To be fair Rich i used WD40 and it all went well, maybe i was lucky!!
Having said that Rich is right use a proper penetrating (uh er missies) oil. :lol
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2013, 08:42:56 am »

:rollin

Your search function broken again Lewis?  :lol

As the others have said: soak them in penetrating fluid for at least a few days first and then pray they don't snap, better get your lucky boxers on that day  ;)

Chris
Try searching for penentrating fluid not penentrating oil next time :pokefun

portboy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2013, 08:58:04 am »
Right now we have got the exhaust rings off how do we tackle the header assembly which has grown in with crud and corrosion ? :'(