Date: 18-05-24  Time: 18:12 pm

Author Topic: Feckin taxi driver  (Read 1146 times)

tex1507

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Feckin taxi driver
« on: 29 November 2016, 10:48:10 pm »
Hi all
Just want to take the opportunity to thank everyone for all the advice i have over the years.
As the title suggests last friday whilst riding through Solihull a private hire taxi driver decided to cross from the other side of dual carriageway into the right side of my bike, at the time i was at 30mph and did not have any time to brake this sent the bike over and into a lampost throwing me over the handle bars and into the wall of Argos.

Resulting in a 4 day stay in hospital a fractured right knee, fractured right foot and a very badly bruised left elbow, all things considered i have got of very lightly because if the lampost was not there the bike and myself would have gone straight into the wall head first..............
Hopefully the taxi driver will be prosecuted by the police.
However i know i have several months of healing in front but i am now not sure if i will ever be mentally able to get back to riding as i keep getting flash backs to the accident.

Has anyone been through a similar experience with flash backs and if so how did you deal with them?

Cheers all

Stu

Oh and yeah from pics i have seen bike in a right off.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Feckin taxi driver
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2016, 07:48:47 am »
Wow! You're lucky indeed fella, there for the grace of God etc. I'm sure the flashbacks will recede with time Stu. "That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Good luck to you  :)
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 November 2016, 08:20:19 am »
"Lightening striking twice" springs to mind here I would say ;)

Easier said than done, I know, but consider how many years you have been riding and how many accidents you've had in that time, if any (apart from this one).  Keep telling yourself this, luck is actually on your side ;)

Perhaps not entirely the same but when I was younger, before having a license of any description I used to pedal bike it everywhere.  One night I was knocked from my bike when a chap drove out of a junction straight into the side of me, this was on a busy main road and I was catapulted across to the other side of the carriageway bounced with my head onto the grass path/verge the other side.  I encountered death rather closely here as a 17 tonner was on the other carriageway and had to brake very hard not to crush me as I flew across his path.  Anyway, long story short, I took the advice I have given myself and jumped straight back on the bike, well a new one as the old one was rather slightly mangled  :rolleyes   Never had another incident on the bike!

tex1507

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 November 2016, 09:34:10 am »
This is the first accident in over 8yrs and 77k miles :-(

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 December 2016, 11:48:30 pm »
Sorry to hear about your mis adventures buddy, I've been riding 33yrs and in that time had 1or2 offs  :rolleyes
My last one was a biggie 10 yrs ago and I thought I'd had enough at that point and like you multiple broken bones 5 months off work and got flashbacks, but as they say time is a healer and I found when spring/summer arrived I started wishing I was out riding and the flashbacks changed to memories of rides out with mates, solo blasts ,midnight runs to Hastings , the ace cafe runs and all the brilliant fun times I had on a bike :) and have since added 2 other bikes to my stable
I'm sure once the weather gets warmer and the sun comes out you'll get the bug again
But until then buddy I wish you a speedy recovery and hope it all gets sorted for you

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2016, 06:26:16 am »
Sorry to hear about your mis adventures buddy, I've been riding 33yrs and in that time had 1or2 offs  :rolleyes
My last one was a biggie 10 yrs ago and I thought I'd had enough at that point and like you multiple broken bones 5 months off work and got flashbacks, but as they say time is a healer and I found when spring/summer arrived I started wishing I was out riding and the flashbacks changed to memories of rides out with mates, solo blasts ,midnight runs to Hastings , the ace cafe runs and all the brilliant fun times I had on a bike :) and have since added 2 other bikes to my stable
I'm sure once the weather gets warmer and the sun comes out you'll get the bug again
But until then buddy I wish you a speedy recovery and hope it all gets sorted for you

Time is a good healer, especially whilst sharpening up my sniper skills to eliminate the fuckwit who carelessly caused me untold grief.  ;)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.