Date: 07-05-24  Time: 08:23 am

Author Topic: Winter Gloves to keep my sausage fingers warm?  (Read 6765 times)

Fergwad

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Winter Gloves to keep my sausage fingers warm?
« on: 29 November 2011, 08:57:25 pm »
Hi Foccers,

As the title suggests, what are you recommendations for the best warm/dry winter gloves?

I've just got a new job and will going up and down the M3 through winter, on the ride tonight I got wet fingers and even with hot grips I got cold  :'( .

Any suggestions warmly welcomed.

Ferg

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Gloves to keep my sausage fingers warm?
« Reply #1 on: 29 November 2011, 09:42:03 pm »
I have some inner glove liners that work realy well and then add to that Muffs i can use summer gloves all winter long with ease

Fergwad

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 November 2011, 09:50:14 pm »
Cheers GhostBiker. That reminds me I bought some inners last yr when it was snowing....even so need to invest in some gore-tex or similar I think?!?

What are the muffs like if you come off?? do they have the same standard of materials etc? any good makes?

Cheers,

Ferg

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 November 2011, 10:51:07 pm »
I use Oxford Drybone muffs, they take 2 mins to fit or remove (allow 5 for the first couple of times fitting till u get used to it)
100% water proof and wind proof so far, they have a ridged leading edge to stop them folding in at higher speeds. i find them fine to around 100+ then they do tend to start to fold in a little.

i belive nooj is doing a bulk buy deal in forsale right now on muffs. i havent used them so cant say how they are, but knowing nooj they will be of a good quality.

as for glove linners i use Chill Out inner gloves, very warm and wind proof. also use a chillout neck and chest guard. then have Cold killers legs, boot inners and shirt. got a good deal for the set at NEC on the weekend. again very warm and wind proof.

i do belive in being warm when riding in the winter. if your cold then your not paying attention to the road.

As for crashing in the muffs i wouldnt think they actualy give much if any protection. but then i am wearing my summer gloves under them so they would be my protection. I dont feel they would be in the way if i came off.

Skullfire

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 November 2011, 12:08:20 am »
I highly recommend these.

Hein Gericke Pathan Evo sheltex® 3-finger Glove
http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/clothing/motorcyle-clothing/motorcycle-gloves/hein-gericke-pathan-evo-sheltexr-3-finger-handschuhe-schwarz.html

They haven't leaked so far this winter and keep my fingers warm without heated grips.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #5 on: 30 November 2011, 02:49:28 am »
As the title suggests, what are you recommendations for the best warm/dry winter gloves?

Question is, how much are you willing to spend? I have a set of Gerbing Heated gloves which are expensive, but, unlike heated grips, heat all the way down the fingers (including the backs of your fingers and hands) and will keep you warm even without the heat on.

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 November 2011, 10:25:22 am »

Question is, how much are you willing to spend? I have a set of Gerbing Heated gloves which are expensive, but, unlike heated grips, heat all the way down the fingers (including the backs of your fingers and hands) and will keep you warm even without the heat on.
How much were the gerbings?   Do they do heated bits for anywhere else?
Head Focced

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 November 2011, 11:42:51 am »
BMW Winter gloves --got a pair last month--warm & waterproof.

Fergwad

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 November 2011, 01:14:32 pm »
Hey all,

Thanks for the many different options suggested! I will have about 100 pounds to spend I think.

Think I will go have a look t some over the weekend and see what is available for that kind of money - although sounds like muffs might be a good idea to me!

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 November 2011, 09:30:29 pm »
Muffs + heated grips + handguards + medium weight gloves = toasty hands for me when commuting 365. The handguards were good for cool spring and autumn mornings and held the muffs off the controls. Biggest advantage of muffs for me was being 100% waterproof so gloves were dry in the morning after the deluge the night before

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #10 on: 01 December 2011, 10:45:29 am »
Fergwad, where you travelling to & from? I travel from Waterlooville to Hook, must admit that after only just getting back into biking after 12 years off I tend to be a fair weather biker but if weather is really bad and you live not to far out dont mind offering the odd lift if it helps you out of a spot!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Fergwad

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 December 2011, 08:42:42 pm »
That's a very kind offer Robbie, i might have to take you up on it next time it snows!! I'm going to be going from lightwater to central Basingstoke so about 20 miles each way, I managed last winter doing about half the mileage, but think my gloves wernt quite up to the 30 min downpour the other night! Thinking muffs are going to be the best way forward but need to deal with Christmas shopping before I know for sure how much I can afford!

If your ever my way of the world when the suns out on a weekend give me a shout and we'll go for a spin!!

Ferg

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 December 2011, 10:11:25 pm »
How much were the gerbings?   Do they do heated bits for anywhere else?

There are some here for just under £100, but I paid extra to get the variable heat controller.

There is (or was) a cheaper version which is just off-low-med-high but that page doesn't show it.

They also do heated insoles and jackets IIRC, but I've not bothered with those.

Fergwad

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 December 2011, 10:44:03 pm »
Grahamm - do you know what sort of connectors those have? I wonder if I could plug them into the connections for my hot grips....I suppose if not the same I could wire some converters in? I would only have on/off though!!

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #14 on: 02 December 2011, 10:32:02 am »
That's a very kind offer Robbie, i might have to take you up on it next time it snows!! I'm going to be going from lightwater to central Basingstoke so about 20 miles each way,

Ferg Just looked on map n you travel north to south where I travel south to north  :( :o  so sorry i got to give back word on my offer! sorry mate but it not to far in summer to go for a ride!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 December 2011, 12:37:08 am »
Grahamm - do you know what sort of connectors those have? I wonder if I could plug them into the connections for my hot grips....I suppose if not the same I could wire some converters in? I would only have on/off though!!

Sorry, I don't know, but the gloves now come with a fused harness and a four position control switch. See here for details.

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 December 2011, 08:18:29 am »
Get Oxford dry bone muffs, add some additional fitments over standard by securing them to the bar ends (feel free to PM me if you want details) and you'll never EVER have cold or wet hands again regardless of the weather!

I wish i'd fitted mine years ago, combined with hot grips they're just pure smugness for bikers. Long gone are the days where I have to pull over to hold onto the engine to get some heat into my stinging hands!

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 December 2011, 03:23:07 pm »
I ment to do the bar end mod to my dry bone muffs last year but didnt get round to it as i like to put them on and off as the weather changes.
This year i might just leave them on and do the bar end mod to them. they dont look great fitted by they work oh so well lol.

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 December 2011, 08:01:21 pm »
Do it Ghost, you'll not want to remove them then as they stop becoming slightly annoying as they're just in perfect position and stay perfectly still even at motorways speeds when you take your hand out to scratch your nose or whatever....mine used to flap a bit but perfectly rigid now and don't get in the way of any of the switchgear

Nooj

« Reply #19 on: 04 December 2011, 10:15:25 pm »
I'm doing a group-buy on Tucano muffs if anyone's interested: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shiny-Bike-Syndrome/104532339635917
Fourth post down.