Date: 16-04-24  Time: 22:55 pm

Author Topic: Identifying part help.  (Read 1681 times)

No

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Identifying part help.
« on: 29 August 2021, 10:41:39 am »
Hi there just wondering if anyone could identify this part for me, it unscrews from underneath the starter button/throttle cable on the handlebars (99 fzs) . It has 2 small spade ends that plug into it, 1 is broken and left inside this part (please forgive the wording)

I was on a ride yesterday and made it a good few miles but then the engine was cutting out whenever i would depress the clutch lever to change gear.

I pulled over and while it would bump start fine, as soon as i held in the clutch it would cut out.

The starter motor would not stop engaging when i held the clutch in, this was prior to me breaking the spade end of said part.

I figured now i'll strip the whole bike and have it as a winter project, so just seeking this part out.

Again, forgive the wording and the long winded description.

Any help appreciated.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying part help.
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2021, 11:13:02 am »
It's the front brake light switch.   ;)

That said you're issue i.e. bike cutting out when the clutch is pulled, could well be related to the clutch switch which is the same only on the left hand side below the horn button.  Are you sure you've not got the starter and horn buttons mixed up?   As you question states starter button and that would make the switch pictured the brake switch.   The brake switch failing would just mean no brake light when you use the front brake, it would have nothing to do with the cutting out when the clutch is pulled. 

But if it's the clutch switch that's pictured it would, as it's linked to the side stand and gear position switches.  These prevent you starting the bike with it in gear and/or riding away with the side stand down.  When either one of these starts failing they can intermittently cut the bike out when you pull the clutch when changing gear.         
« Last Edit: 29 August 2021, 11:25:20 am by Gnasher »
Later

No

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2021, 11:47:40 am »
Firstly thank you for the reply. This part was taken from the right hand side under the killswitch/horn button, it has a brown wire, as well as a yellow/green one coming off it. It is fed into the same wiring loom/rubber sleeve as the throttle cable. It does have a small press-able button on it which i can assume is pressed when the brake lever is engaged which would suggest it is indeed the brake light switch as you said

That said, i did just check the clutch switch as you mention it and it was quite loose/lopsided, i unplugged and replugged so will try that. Upon doing so i noticed the starter motor is still clicking/turning when i push the button so cant be that after all. (flat battery hence the clicking)

I will have to charge the battery and report back, as the starter was constantly engaging it has run the new battery flat.

as a sidenote, my side stand switch has always worked as it should ie will stall if side stand is down and in gear. BUT, it is covered in oil and road grit so will give it clean.

i believe you may have solved my issue but will report back after a charge

and thank you again, truly.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2021, 03:04:28 pm »
might sound an od question but this is an odd breakdown situation
does your neutral light still work. ??

No

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 August 2021, 04:05:49 pm »
Funnily enough the neutral light has never worked as it needs a new clock (the backing panel is broken) BUT the fuel & oil lights have stayed on since the issue.

I now know that it was cutting out when clutch was engaged as the battery was flat from the starter motor constantly going.

It does run now since a battery charge & side stand switch still does it job in the sense that it cuts the engine when side stand is down and in gear, but needs replacing as i figured it was the cause of the neutral light not working, the starter motor still engages whenever i pull the clutch.

Tempted to belt it with a hammer as you do in a car.

As a side note to the neutral light, there is a green wire loose/disconnected in the front fuse box under the tank, no idea what this is.

Also, the bike doesnt charge the battery. - rectifier of some sorts i guess but its soon to be scrapped for parts when i can afford a new bike
« Last Edit: 29 August 2021, 04:08:09 pm by No »

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2021, 12:57:28 am »
might be a good time to update where you are from - bunch of good guys/gals on here that might be local to you and willing to have a look
--DONT HIT IT WITH A HAMMER - ITS NOT A FIESTA

No

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2021, 07:35:16 am »
Thank you that's a lovely proposition. I'm in Cornwall in the Truro area.

I was tempted just to take it to the bike mechanic i use & offer it him dirt dirt cheap for parts. I've done the usual work like chain, sprockets, filters, tyres etc with him so he knows the bike.

It has served me well the past 9 months The engine is great & starts instantly every time with no throttle which is the only reason I've not done it yet. It has a nice Fuel exhaust which is deep & loud so i had a baffle made by the same company

I simply cant afford another bike atm unless it's a 125 or something but i may as well use my car in that case.

[size=78%]Just too much needed for what its worth unless i did indeed have it as winter project & stripped it down for a full respray (frame, engine, the lot)[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Thanks again[/size]

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2021, 10:38:56 am »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 August 2021, 10:55:36 am »
Thank you that's a lovely proposition. I'm in Cornwall in the Truro area.

I was tempted just to take it to the bike mechanic i use & offer it him dirt dirt cheap for parts. I've done the usual work like chain, sprockets, filters, tyres etc with him so he knows the bike.

It has served me well the past 9 months The engine is great & starts instantly every time with no throttle which is the only reason I've not done it yet. It has a nice Fuel exhaust which is deep & loud so i had a baffle made by the same company

I simply cant afford another bike atm unless it's a 125 or something but i may as well use my car in that case.

Just too much needed for what its worth unless i did indeed have it as winter project & stripped it down for a full respray (frame, engine, the lot)

Thanks again.

It's very likely the issue is a short or shorts the clutch and kill switch circuits, both of these are linked to the starter circuit.  I could just be as simple as a broken wire or damaged switch or connector. 

As with everything it's all simple when you know how and have the tools.  If you do and you have the tools, loop out all the circuits and see if that stops the starter constantly running, if so put each circuit back in the loop until its starts running again.  You'll then have found which is causing the issue, either fix it or keep it looped out. 

Good luck, let us know how you get on.     

Later

No

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying part help + (starter motor stuck on)
« Reply #9 on: 18 September 2021, 05:34:09 pm »
Just an update to the Starter motor constantly turning whilst riding:

After replacing the starter button switchgear & starter relay to no avail i found it was the fuel tank compressing the main wiring loom causing a surge of power to the starter relay making the starter turn constantly whilst riding, & illuminating the oil & fuel lights.

My wiring loom is OVER the crossmember under the tank & has compressed it almost flat.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying part help + (starter motor stuck on)
« Reply #10 on: 18 September 2021, 05:55:02 pm »
My wiring loom is OVER the crossmember under the tank & has compressed it almost flat.

Pictures would be useful?

Glad you found the issue, it was just a short, which seems was caused by chaffing between the tank and frame.   
Later