Date: 24-04-24  Time: 11:17 am

Author Topic: Maintenance on forgotten bike  (Read 1388 times)

DCShoesUSA

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Maintenance on forgotten bike
« on: 18 May 2021, 09:05:59 am »
Hi all, my second post since I forgot about the bike since last time...

My FZS600 RJ02 (2001) has been standing in a cold garage since 2017, battery dead and fuel tank full. I think the engine was completely dismantled and serviced not long before it got put away.

What´s the easiest/cheapest wat to get it running again? I was thinking new battery and remove spark plug covers and "start it" to let the old oil move around before firing it up for real. Maybe I´ll even drain the fuel, I don´t know

Thanks! any info or help is appreciated

Edit: Is the original battery GT12B-4 same as YT12B-BS?
« Last Edit: 18 May 2021, 09:27:30 am by DCShoesUSA »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Maintenance on forgotten bike
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2021, 09:40:32 am »
Check there's oil in it, hook up a starter booster pack or new battery, turn the key wait for the pump to prime, if it doesn't you need to take a look at the pump and it's circuit, if it does, some choke, hit the starter.  You're be amazed, I've started many bikes that were just like yours, my own Fazer once stood for about 5 years, it just started second prod.

If it runs, it's possible it my not run on all cylinders straight away or not at all, if that's the case you will need to whip the carbs off and clean out the pilot and possibly the main jets.  Many will tell you the fuel will have gone off etc, in my experience it doesn't make that much difference, obviously that depends on the tank cap sealing and there being no water ingress. 

Worse case drain and refill, while your there doing that, check the tank for rust, generally they're sound, providing it's not been damaged (sharp denting) that cracks/peels off the inner coating.   The same with plugs and caps, if the bike was good before taken off the road, been under cover, with reasonable ventilation, it should all work, that said you made need a squirt of WD.
Later

Bracechenko v2

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2021, 09:41:33 am »
Hi there!

Definitely drain the fuel, it'll be stale so get rid of it and dispose properly. I'd also remove the spark plugs and pop a small drop of oil in each cylinder. Then, don't attempt to start on the starter motor, instead turn the engine over manually by putting the bike in a high gear and use the rear wheel to turn the engine slowly through the gearbox. The oil you dropped in will coat the inside of the cylinder as they'll likely be dry right now.

And yeah, new battery :)

Best of luck
Mike

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2021, 02:13:11 pm »
Hi there!

Definitely drain the fuel, it'll be stale so get rid of it and dispose properly. I'd also remove the spark plugs and pop a small drop of oil in each cylinder. Then, don't attempt to start on the starter motor, instead turn the engine over manually by putting the bike in a high gear and use the rear wheel to turn the engine slowly through the gearbox. The oil you dropped in will coat the inside of the cylinder as they'll likely be dry right now.

And yeah, new battery :)

Best of luck
Mike

first remove the plugs and put a little oil in there , take the side cover off and spin the motor by hand first, many will say this is over kill but as its been five years there is always a possibility of a valve being stuck and you dont want a high speed piston smashing into it.
then use the starter to spin it a few times to get some oil moving around because that head will be dry as a desert.
if all is fine then fire those plugs back in and give her a whirl with fresh fuel (preferred high quality as it has cleaning additives).
good luck

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2021, 02:31:15 pm »
Old fuel still burns, stick with it for now and go with the advise from Gnasher.

The only thing I would do in addition is remove the plugs before doing anything and see if I could turn the engine by hand using the back wheel while in gear. Better to find resistance and realise the bores are rusted/stuck rings than using the starter motor to cause significant damage that could have been avoided.

That said - as long as the garage wasn't damp, just use the starter motor as its unlikely to have rusted bores.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2021, 05:31:48 pm »
I'm sure there'll be people on here screaming snake oil but I always use Profi Fuelmax after a long lay up.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2021, 06:59:18 pm »
When laying the Fazer up for the winter, for the last few years I’ve treated a tank full of 4 star to a dose of Sea Foam, a similar product to Profi Fuelmax. This year I gave Sta-Bil a go as it’s easier to get hold of. Every time it’s started sweet as a nut. Whether it’s all a waste of money, I don’t care. I have the comfort of knowing I’ve done my best in winterising my bike, and when it successfully bursts into life in the spring, it’s money well spent. Whether it’s maybe money wasted, I don’t want to find out :lol .
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2021, 07:08:14 pm »
bit late to winterise after 5 years,,, real riders ride through every season  :rollin :lol

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2021, 07:18:31 pm »
bit late to winterise after 5 years,,, real riders ride through every season  :rollin :lol
Yep. Fazer April/May to October. Triumph October to April/May. :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.