General > General

Down the pub - the thread about nothing and everything

<< < (2/161) > >>

tommyardin:
Hey! anything to divert the way this thread is already heading.
My wife and Daughter and I went to Hampton Court Palace
today for a visit as we had never been before, we drove up from Hampshire, about a one hour journey.
Lovely day, sun shone all day, temp got up to 19 degrees.

King Henry the 8th was a strange man, definitely not to be focced with, but in other ways released us (The United Kingdom) from the grasp of tyranny imposed by Rome, and Catholic dominance over the people.

Looking around the castle and grounds make you realise how much wealth and granduer there was approx 500years ago. Good Day out with my Girls.

tommyardin:
And there's more

Hedgetrimmer:

--- Quote from: tommyardin on 11 March 2017, 06:37:20 pm ---

King Henry the 8th was a strange man, definitely not to be focced with, but in other ways released us (The United Kingdom) from the grasp of tyranny imposed by Rome, and Catholic dominance over the people.

--- End quote ---

What annoyed me about him, is did he really have to destroy all the abbeys and priories while he was at it? Think of the treasures we'd have now if he hadn't. I don't care for religion, but it certainly motivated people to build some magnificent structures, and fill them with fantastic artwork. But I suppose religion has always been one of the most divisive things in the world too, capable of any level of destruction. Ca plus ca change... :rolleyes

robbo:
Often fish that stretch of the Thames opposite Hampton Court Palace.

unfazed:

--- Quote from: tommyardin on 11 March 2017, 06:37:20 pm ---

--- End quote ---

Strange comment Tommy, are you implying Tyranny of Henry the 8th and dominance by Church of England was acceptable.  :eek

Do you know, Mark Twain is right

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version