Date: 30-04-24  Time: 22:10 pm

Author Topic: Fazer/FZ 8 History  (Read 3338 times)

david095

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Fazer/FZ 8 History
« on: 08 April 2014, 08:07:40 pm »
more out of curiosity really and to raise our postings, getting bored of not seeing new posts on our thread :lol :

What is the FZ and Fazer 8 based on, what parts does it share, is it virtually the same bike as the FZ1?
Porquoi moi?

brian2649

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Re: Fazer/FZ 8 History
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2014, 11:28:00 am »
From what I can gather from doing research into the bike before I bought mine, the fazer 8/fz 8 is based on the 1000cc models but with the obvious narrower bore making it 779cc, also It has a lighter crank shaft, revised cam profiles and a slightly revised fuel mapping making the power delivery smoother and less edgy than the thou versions. As for sharing parts, I'd imagine they share a lot, as both bikes are very similar indeed.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2014, 02:00:21 pm »
Also, 1st gear is lower than the FZ1 and the overall gearing is reduced.
Less plates/different springs in the clutch to make it feel lighter.
Forks are different, rear shock is the same size but different workings.
Fazer8 has a bigger fairing, tank 1l smaller.
Frame, engine covers, pegs, levers, gear change linkage, switches etc is the same as the FZ1 as far as I know.

david095

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2014, 02:14:50 pm »
 rear shock is the same size but different workings.

that's interesting, has the FZ1 got a better rear suspension? if so could transplant?
Porquoi moi?

brian2649

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2014, 06:22:02 pm »
Surely a better rear shock would only be of use if you exceed the potential of the standard one. My model has fully adjustable front a rear suspension, so could tweek it and see how it compares to the factory set up. 

david095

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2014, 06:36:36 pm »
Surely a better rear shock would only be of use if you exceed the potential of the standard one. My model has fully adjustable front a rear suspension, so could tweek it and see how it compares to the factory set up.

ah that's just showing off Brian, only the newer Fazer8s (2013/14) have that set up. Unfortunately whilst the existing one is just about dealing with my weight I can see it becoming a bit more softer than it already is before long and the FZ1 might be a little bit stiffer, not 100% sure and I'm sure some one will come and let us know?  :)
Porquoi moi?

brian2649

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2014, 07:23:18 pm »
Maybe showing off just a little haha. You could always go for an aftermarket adjustable shock over the FZ1, but that all depends on your budget and what you are willing to do. I will give it a tweak and see how it fairs, but it has been fine for me so far, but then again I haven't pushed the bike with it being new and not run in.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2014, 10:41:57 am »

Ride 2-up down a bouncy road and that will be the potential of the standard one exceeded. I never rode 2 up, but I know 2 (so thats 4) riders and they had it bottoming out.
I thought my standard shock was just about ok, but after 2 years it seem to lose what damping it had. The Ohlins is way superior, but costly.

I didnt realise the 2013 model had fully adjustable rear shocks.

brian2649

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2014, 12:52:47 pm »
Ahh I see. Don't the previous models have pre-load adjustment on the rear shock? I thought they did.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2014, 04:46:10 pm »
Pre 2013, they only have preload adjustment. Adjustable rebound and compression damping is very useful. When I went to Romania I soon backed off a lot of preload/rebound and compression damping, and rode a LOT slower, and it was comfortable. Once back in Austria/Germany, I did the opposite. I wish I had written the original settings down as I spent a while tweaking from scratch again.