Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:55 pm

Author Topic: BREXIT  (Read 210007 times)

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Re: Just for VNA a brexit thread
« Reply #200 on: 13 November 2018, 11:07:35 pm »
I've just fainted.....  :eek

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 13 November 2018, 11:11:49 pm »
On the balance of things, as they stand at the moment, I think it would be best to stay in :eek

:eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 13 November 2018, 11:13:42 pm »
Have you ever watched '12 Angry Men'?

We just need to get Hedgetrimmer and Ogri48 turned, and we're there  ;)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 13 November 2018, 11:26:33 pm »

:lol
That's thrown you hasn't it ;) lol

Well that just shows you the power of persuasion.

And I think it's a good thing that people aren't so intransigent that they aren't prepared to be open to seeing the other side and be prepared to say so.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 13 November 2018, 11:34:55 pm »
OK, in return I agree Corbyn is a communist spy and eats babies  ;)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 13 November 2018, 11:48:29 pm »
Where would we be if nobody ever had a change of mind.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 13 November 2018, 11:53:34 pm »
Have you ever watched '12 Angry Men'?
Only the Tony Hancock version, which is a comedy classic by the way, but not the film. I get your gist though.

Do bear in mind I'm a very reluctant convert, not a fully paid up bells and whistles member of the Remainer gang  ;) :lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 14 November 2018, 08:24:07 am »

I can see this latest deal getting rejected.

I just don't think it's worth all the hassle any more.
Easier to just stay in and put up with it.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 14 November 2018, 09:46:03 am »
'Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you........ Did she die in vain'  :D

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: 14 November 2018, 10:23:17 am »

'Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you........ Did she die in vain'  :D

:lol It's a classic isn't it. They repeat the radio shows on 4 extra on Monday's at 7pm.

It was the life insurance policy one the other night where he buys the policy from Sid and it's a vet doing the medical (played by Kenneth Williams) :rollin :rollin

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: 14 November 2018, 10:41:23 am »
Saw '12 Angry Men' in Edinburgh with Arthur Smith as Sid James. Also saw BBC recordings of 'The Lost Hancocks' in London. All classics.

My other favourite lines Radio Ham - 'I've got friends all over the world. None in this country, but all over the world'

And of course the immortal 'A pint, that's very nearly an armful. I'm not walking around with an empty arm for anyone'

The Lad Himself  :)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 14 November 2018, 11:53:55 am »

I was mightily impressed by The Lost Hancock's.

I first got into his shows as a kid long after his death.

One of my all time favourite moments is actually an error. It's the bit in The Two Murderers where Sid gets tongue tied and fluffs his lines trying to tell Hancock about 'El Fish & Chippo'.
The pair of them descend into genuine laughter over it. Priceless stuff.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 14 November 2018, 12:36:15 pm »

So...... if we agree terms with the EU that we stay in the Customs Union and most of the Single Market without a backstop (ie without an end date)........... then we might as well........... stay in the EU :)

At least I think that's what Arron Banks said.

They've just been talking about this on the Jeremy Vine show Radio 2.

They reckon this deal is the final one, there will be no other. They say The EU know we won't ever go for a 'No Deal' Brexit.

So yes that's it. Stay In I say.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: 14 November 2018, 04:06:24 pm »

We just need to get Hedgetrimmer and Ogri48 turned, and we're there  ;)

Sigh.

No, I'm afraid i'm not going to turn now. Rightly or wrongly, I have my principles. Maybe they're dated but I'm too old and focced to change now.
In all honesty, in or out of the EU, I'm focced  :lol
I am a dinosaur, and the first to admit it. I was born and brought up on the history and values of this country, and served 8 years in our armed forces. I'm a patriot at heart. Again, all that for better or worse.
This whole debate is about business, corporations, money. It doesn't matter where these are located at the end of the day - they have their own interests at heart, shareholders and company executives. If us minions benefit from that in any way, it's purely incidental. They will continue to treat the rest with the barest consideration they can get away with. If they can replace people with machines, AI, robots, because that's more efficient, they will have not one second thought about it.

At most, if there were another referendum including the option to remain in the EU, I might withhold my vote. Maybe it is time that the younger generations decided what they want, and us old focs stood aside. It really won't make any difference to me. Being in the EU won't improve my lot any.

Personally, I'd like to have seen a better EU than is currently being pushed forwards, with us at the heart of it. But Merkel and Macron have shown that we would never get that. Even fully inside the EU, the UK was always considered as an outsider. We were told we never understood them. If that was the case, some us certainly don't now, given what has passed between us since the referendum.

But as I said, none of it really matters to me, because none of it is relevant to me anymore.
So if you can get it back, have your EU membership, and enjoy. I don't want it still, not in the way that it was, and appeared to be going.
« Last Edit: 14 November 2018, 04:09:12 pm by Hedgetrimmer »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 14 November 2018, 05:34:39 pm »
 Well looks like it’s going to turn into the nightmarish farce many of us thought it would.
It’s possible the thought, or rather the reality of a No Deal Brexit might pull enough BREXIT Tories back in to get May’s plan though the cabinet (maybe we’ll get a better idea of that deal tomorrow).  Then….
No point blabbing on much more, let’s see what happens.
And if it fails – Labour wants a general election so that they can sort it out – even though they don’t have a plan either. 
A second referendum – in the hope folks vote to stay in as we are would solve everything, but plunge the country into an even deeper crises if folks voted for BREXIT again.
In the meantime, the contingency plans need to be acted on.  The UK needs to start getting it’s stock piles of food, medicines  etc etc in place. 
It’s anybody’s guess now.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 14 November 2018, 06:41:39 pm »
I must say I agree with all 3 of you. Yes, irrespective of the EU,  big business rules. They make or influence all the decisions. Pay their taxes wherever they like. We are merely components, either as producers or consumers.

I also agree that whatever is being proposed for transition, will also become the long-term. BINO - Brexit In Name Only. Both In but Out with a few tweaks and concessions, to make it look good.

I also have no idea what will happen next. May needs to get her proposals through several hurdles - Cabinet, Party, Parliament, the EU itself. Plenty to go wrong. Parliament is going to be the most difficult.

If she doesn't get it all the way through, anybodies guess. Anyway I've stocked up on tins.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 14 November 2018, 06:46:59 pm »

fraid ill never change either chaps. im also unashamedly patriotic, believe in god and country etc. I am aware that people like Nick and me are moving to the minority as the older generations die out, but thats ok.
Do you know, I can honestly say, if Corbyn, Abbot and Mcdonnell got in I would believe that our country would be slaughtered for ever. But I can also honestly say if he did I would respect the will of the electorate, and accept it.
Thats all those of us who won the referendum asked really. That the democratic decision be not only respected, but that everybody pulled together to make it work.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 14 November 2018, 07:09:13 pm »

That the democratic decision be not only respected, but that everybody pulled together to make it work.

But that is precisely where the problem lies.

Firstly it is a referendum that should have never happened.  It happened because the Tories offered it as a means to unite their party and kill UKIP – and it worked.  They won the general election.
In terms of making it work,

Putting aside the disastrous campaign (LEAVE – absolute lies REMAIN – absolute fear) – nobody actually knew what BREXIT was – or rather what shape it would take.  That came after the vote – when asked May told us it would be – a red white and blue BREXIT (ie she didn’t have a clue).

She then focced up by going to the electorate – she did so in order to avoid the very situation that she is in now.  But that didn’t work – and as a result she is in the hands of the DUP and parliament as a whole.  And anyway the Tories might be in government – by the skin of their teeth – but they are split and out of control.

But ultimately what you are asking the majority of MP’s in parliament to do OGRI is to vote to implement something that they wholeheartedly and absolutely believe is not in the best interests of their constituents or the country as a whole. 

And then there is Ireland.

David Cameron offered you this referendum cos he knew the country would reject BREXIT.  He was so confident he never even bothered to consider the consequences, should he turn out to be wrong.  Doh!  Doh doh doh doh!

I believe these may well be the first few days of a country in a full-blown crisis.  I hope not, but it’s looking like it.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: 14 November 2018, 07:10:33 pm »
I also have no idea what will happen next.
That's the only thing we can all be sure of.  Nobody has a clue.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 14 November 2018, 07:16:41 pm »
I also have no idea what will happen next.
That's the only thing we can all be sure of.  Nobody has a clue.

:eek  I think that's the first time I have actually heard Remainers admit this! What's up lads, batteries in your crystal balls run out?  :lol

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 14 November 2018, 07:29:06 pm »

:eek  I think that's the first time I have actually heard Remainers admit this! What's up lads, batteries in your crystal balls run out?  :lol

But this is exactly what I predicted.  Or rather I predicted that, further down the line, BREXIT will not happen and we will continue as fully paid up members – though obviously that’s what I want – it’s still a strong possibility.  I don’t think BREXIT is possible – of cours, I may be about to find out I am wrong.
im also unashamedly patriotic, believe in god and country etc.
I don’t see what any of that has to do with it OGRI.  Do God fearing people want their country to be poorer? Do patriots want their patriotic elected representatives to vote against their own conscience and belief, to vote with Boris and Jacob, and against the best interest of their constituents?

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 14 November 2018, 07:29:51 pm »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 14 November 2018, 07:48:20 pm »
To be fair to May (and I find that very difficult) she was up shit street whatever option /proposal /result she came up with.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: 14 November 2018, 07:51:35 pm »

That the democratic decision be not only respected, but that everybody pulled together to make it work.

Firstly it is a referendum that should have never happened.  It happened because the Tories offered it as a means to unite their party and kill UKIP – and it worked.  They won the general election.

Putting aside the disastrous campaign (LEAVE – absolute lies REMAIN – absolute fear) – nobody actually knew what BREXIT was – or rather what shape it would take.  That came after the vote – when asked May told us it would be – a red white and blue BREXIT (ie she didn’t have a clue).

She then focced up by going to the electorate – she did so in order to avoid the very situation that she is in now.  But that didn’t work – and as a result she is in the hands of the DUP and parliament as a whole.  And anyway the Tories might be in government – by the skin of their teeth – but they are split and out of control.

But ultimately what you are asking the majority of MP’s in parliament to do OGRI is to vote to implement something that they wholeheartedly and absolutely believe is not in the best interests of their constituents or the country as a whole. 

David Cameron offered you this referendum cos he knew the country would reject BREXIT.  He was so confident he never even bothered to consider the consequences, should he turn out to be wrong.  Doh!  Doh doh doh doh!

I believe these may well be the first few days of a country in a full-blown crisis.  I hope not, but it’s looking like it.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 14 November 2018, 07:55:14 pm »

but it did happen mate.