Date: 28-03-24  Time: 19:06 pm

Author Topic: BREXIT  (Read 209890 times)

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Just for VNA a brexit thread
« Reply #50 on: 03 November 2018, 03:02:55 pm »
I appreciate the sympathies, but I'll be ok..  Alot of people won't be though.

I don't know many business looking forward to brexit. Maybe betting shops, loan sharks and alcohol retailers?! :-P
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 03 November 2018, 03:24:42 pm »

I don't know many business looking forward to brexit. Maybe betting shops, loan sharks and alcohol retailers?! :-P

You've just given me an idea of what I might be able to do for work!  :thumbup   :lol

Alas, 3 years unemployed thus far here, getting in to debt with my bank now, and health problems making it difficult to know what I could do  :(  Brexit is the least of my worries!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 03 November 2018, 03:30:11 pm »
yet profits must be maintained. Result company wide austerity. :-(

Something about that quote ^ bothers me  :\  If profits are maintained, someone in the company isn't being hit by the austerity, surely? At your expense by the sound of it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 03 November 2018, 03:35:36 pm »
Don't want the village I live in twinned with foreigners, because we will have very little in 'Common' with them. lol! 
Now there is a thought will we as a nation remove all the twinned with signs and replace them with new ones? might cost the country a couple of quid.
« Last Edit: 03 November 2018, 03:37:15 pm by tommyardin »

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 03 November 2018, 03:36:35 pm »
If the world is voting against rather than for things all the time, we're in for a very bad time

They voted for DonaldTrump in America, so it's not all against. Well it was against Clinton I grant you :lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 03 November 2018, 03:40:21 pm »
Or maybe the small businesses that can't cope with or afford the overwhelming amounts of business regulations that Brussels implements upon them?.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 03 November 2018, 03:44:35 pm »
If the world is voting against rather than for things all the time, we're in for a very bad time

They voted for DonaldTrump in America, so it's not all against. Well it was against Clinton I grant you :lol

Yes, it was a bit of a dumb thing to say really. If you're voting, presumably you have been given a choice of things to vote for. So if you're voting for one thing, you must be voting against another!
Those damn Remainers are all so negative, voting against Brexit!  :lol

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 03 November 2018, 03:50:57 pm »
They voted [/size]for [/size]DonaldTrump in America, so it's not all against. Well it was against Clinton I grant you [/size]

Actually, Clinton won more votes than Trump. It was the peculiarities of their electoral college system that got Trump in. If they'd used the same system as our referendum, she'd be in  :D

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 03 November 2018, 04:22:38 pm »
They voted for DonaldTrump in America, so it's not all against. Well it was against Clinton I grant you

Actually, Clinton won more votes than Trump. It was the peculiarities of their electoral college system that got Trump in. If they'd used the same system as our referendum, she'd be in  :D

I'm sure there's a practical point to that argument. Damned if I can figure out what it is though  :lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 03 November 2018, 04:34:39 pm »
Those damn Remainers are all so negative, voting against Brexit!  :lol
:lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 03 November 2018, 04:36:11 pm »
They voted for DonaldTrump in America, so it's not all against. Well it was against Clinton I grant you

Thank goodness for the peculiarities of life! :lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 03 November 2018, 04:42:01 pm »
I'm by no means being flippant. I fear the worst.

Hoping for the worst if you don't get your Peoples Vote/Second Referendum and Brexit is enacted more like ;)
 :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 03 November 2018, 04:58:46 pm »
I think we should have another referendum to decide if we want another referendum about having another referendum.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 03 November 2018, 05:40:25 pm »
I'm sure there's a practical point to that argument. Damned if I can figure out what it is though 

It's a simple one. Despite the will of the people, shit happens  :rollin

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 03 November 2018, 09:29:18 pm »
Not officially..

My company are a multi-national. I have seen the forecasted figures for next year (which take into account currency changes and economic contraction).

Also there is the consideration that my company manufacture all across Europe and sell all across Europe.. ANY tariffs or logistical delays will have a direct impact.

Plus all of my whole industry anticipates a reduction in spend. Conclusion next year will be harder than this year, yet profits must be maintained. Result company wide austerity. :-(

So, a multi national company that makes and sells all across Europe sees its whole industry predicting a reduction in spend and yet they only single out Brexit as the cause....more jumping on the bandwagon. I do feel sorry for you Brett, speaking as someone who was made redundant at 56 two years ago.

The only uncertainty about Brexit is that being peddled by the vocal minority (the constantly complaining Remain voters, as opposed to those Remain voters who have accepted the result of the real People's Vote that we had a while back) who are determined to undermine both the democratic wish of the majority of those who could actually get off their backsides and vote, and the success of our transition out of the EU. Having a united face in front of the EU would undoubtedly strengthen our chances of getting the best deal possible, everything else just strengthens our opponents negotiating position.

Those who didn't vote KNEW that this was to be their one and only chance to vote on Brexit. They CHOSE to abstain and I believe none of them felt forced NOT to vote.

So, what we have is the minority trying to undermine the democratically determined will of the people in a vote where their decision to partake placed upon them the responsibility to abide by and support the outcome, whether it was in their favour, or not.

The vocal minority crying out for a second vote are simply trying to undermine our basic democratic system, just because they wanted the ice cream and didn't get it.

Now can we get back to the original thread intention please and hopefully find some help for Bretty.

Oh crap .... too much JD.....I'm all confused about which thread I'm on now  :lol :lol :lol
« Last Edit: 03 November 2018, 09:31:48 pm by Millietant »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 03 November 2018, 10:03:25 pm »
Well said Millietant, and all in the right place except for the part about helping Bretty, who, nevertheless, I'm sure we all wish the best for.
« Last Edit: 03 November 2018, 10:04:11 pm by Hedgetrimmer »

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 03 November 2018, 10:15:22 pm »

Those who didn't vote KNEW that this was to be their one and only chance to vote on Brexit. They CHOSE to abstain and I believe none of them felt forced NOT to vote.

There's a Remainer that regularly writes into my local paper and he always includes the portion of the electorate that didn't bother to vote in his remain figures :lol . The theory being that they also didn't vote for Leave.

By the same token they also didn't vote for Remain did they.

The fact of the matter is they couldn't be bothered to get off their arses to vote either way, so by definition they're happy to let those of us that did decide for them :)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 03 November 2018, 11:02:56 pm »
Not officially..

My company are a multi-national. I have seen the forecasted figures for next year (which take into account currency changes and economic contraction).

Also there is the consideration that my company manufacture all across Europe and sell all across Europe.. ANY tariffs or logistical delays will have a direct impact.

Plus all of my whole industry anticipates a reduction in spend. Conclusion next year will be harder than this year, yet profits must be maintained. Result company wide austerity. :-(

So, a multi national company that makes and sells all across Europe sees its whole industry predicting a reduction in spend and yet they only single out Brexit as the cause....more jumping on the bandwagon. I do feel sorry for you Brett, speaking as someone who was made redundant at 56 two years ago.

The only uncertainty about Brexit is that being peddled by the vocal minority (the constantly complaining Remain voters, as opposed to those Remain voters who have accepted the result of the real People's Vote that we had a while back) who are determined to undermine both the democratic wish of the majority of those who could actually get off their backsides and vote, and the success of our transition out of the EU. Having a united face in front of the EU would undoubtedly strengthen our chances of getting the best deal possible, everything else just strengthens our opponents negotiating position.

So, what we have is the minority trying to undermine the democratically determined will of the people in a vote where their decision to partake placed upon them the responsibility to abide by and support the outcome, whether it was in their favour, or not.

The vocal minority crying out for a second vote are simply trying to undermine our basic democratic system, just because they wanted the ice cream and didn't get it.

Now can we get back to the original thread intention please and hopefully find some help for Bretty.

Oh crap .... too much JD.....I'm all confused about which thread I'm on now  :lol :lol :lol
Despite the JD or helped by it-- either way brilliant, I am with you.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 04 November 2018, 12:37:04 am »
The only uncertainty about Brexit is that being peddled by the vocal minority
The only uncertainty about Brexit is that there is no certainty. Will somebody please tell me what they want  :'(

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #69 on: 04 November 2018, 07:03:18 am »
I think there's no need to worry about this. Propaganda will get the majority to vote in whichever way suits the big capital best - people are easily manipulated and media is a very powerful tool.

My impression is, in the long run, "ordinary/working class" will have less and less as years go by. Just gradually, so there are no riots.

Did the number of say school teacher monthly pays to buy a flat, or a car increase, or decrease from, say 1998, 2008?
What about the living costs - heating, bills, food - percentage of monthly pay to pay for it rises, or drops?
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 04 November 2018, 08:15:02 am »
The only uncertainty about Brexit is that there is no certainty. Will somebody please tell me what they want  :'(
I'll have a go :D ....I don't want the unelected Junckers and the other unelected commisioners proposing the legislation that eventually ends up becoming law in this country.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 04 November 2018, 08:58:28 am »
You want a don't want? Your Christmas list should be very useful  :rolleyes

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 04 November 2018, 09:50:05 am »
 :lol . I'm only asking Santa for one present this year.....Brexit! :woot
OK, I want the UK to take back control of the process of proposing legislation which evenually becomes law from the unelected Junckers and the other unelected commisioners :D

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 04 November 2018, 10:20:27 am »
Don't talk about me. :-) I'm not after sympathy, just giving you my perspective on Brexit.

I was working for a big (french) multinational corporation when the original brexit vote happened. The 20% devaluation of the pound scrubbed £200mil off the value of the UK business overnight  :eek . In my team alone, they put 70 jobs at risk and reduced the team to 35, with further cuts to follow! I left.

Now I'm at a big american corporation. They look at the UK as their European headquarters, all senior management speak English and the company is the hub for free trade into and around Europe. Now Brexit means Britain is no longer considered a hub of Europe, they will be stripping the company with the intention of devaluing and selling it.
Hence the redundancies.

Anyway, that's just my personal perspective, which just happens to be negative. Perhaps some people can tell us how they have been positively affected and cheer us all (well me) up.  :b :D
« Last Edit: 04 November 2018, 10:45:39 am by Bretty »
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 04 November 2018, 10:29:20 am »
Don't talk about me. :-) I'm not after sympathy, just giving you my perspective on Brexit.

I was working for a big (french) multinational corporation when the original brexit vote happened. The 20% devaluation of the pound scrubbed £200mil off the value of the UK business overnight  :eek . [size=78%] In my team alone, they put 70 jobs at risk and reduced the team to 35, with further cuts to follow! I left.[/size]

Now I'm at a big american corporation. They look at the UK as their European headquarters, all senior management speak English and the company is the hub for free trade into and around Europe. Now Brexit means Britain is no longer considered a hub of Europe, they will be stripping the company with the intention of devaluing and selling it.
Hence the redundancies.

Anyway, that's just my personal perspective, which just happens to be negative. Perhaps some people can tell us how they have been positively affected and cheer us all (well me) up.  :b :D

Just out of interest, what's your job title/proffesion?.