Date: 30-04-24  Time: 18:17 pm

Author Topic: That's it... I give up!  (Read 19392 times)

risticuss

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
That's it... I give up!
« on: 21 April 2015, 05:25:48 pm »
I only commute 5 miles a day, 10 minutes each way, and I've nearly been kicked off my bike once on my way in this morning,  and twice on my way home by drivers not opening their fucking eyes.
My wife has just given birth to our daughter 3 weeks ago and I just can't be bothered dealing with the useless fucktards on the roads anymore.
I'm fuming,  thinking that I'm going to be forced off the roads and the one thing I enjoy but I think I'm going to have to.
So... if anyone's in the market for a 2003, 28,000 mile, blue 600 Fazer, send me a pm.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: That's it... I give up!
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2015, 06:24:47 pm »
That's a normal day for me  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2015, 06:59:21 pm »
Do you wear a Hi-Viz jacket?
As I commute I have previously found that when I didn't wear Hi-Viz I almost became invisible.
There are some useless pricks on the road, and it appears to be getting worse, so it's of great importance to me to make myself as visible and audible as possible.

Proper Hi-Viz jacket, not the builders type, but a proper fitted jacket, reflective Arai stickers on my lid and fairing, reflective strip of tape around the top box, extra LED strips on side of fairing linked to indicators, beeping indicators, a very loud air horn, a Moto GP end can which is also very loud, and an LED tail light which has built in indicators as well as the original indicators. Oh, and double headlight mod.

All extra stuff to be seen and heard just that little bit more, but it certainly all helps on a daily basis if you're a commuter.

Don't let the bastards get you down, although I do appreciate it can be frustrating.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2015, 07:36:32 pm »
I have taken to wearing a high vis during the winter months with that very low sun even with lights on its hard to be seen sometimes especially thanks to stupid EU now means all cars also have daylight running lights so I dont stand out so much as I used to with my lights (I dont commute by the way)
I have got a aldi high vis running top which is stretchy and fits a treat over my leather jacket, and the cuffs go over my leather cuffs and sit around my wrist so its easy to get my gloves on and off too, also the arms are high viz so not just a waistcoat

Bit like this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reflective-Ventilation-Fluorescent-Karrimor-Breathable/dp/B00H5KLF3O/ref=sr_1_40?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1429641831&sr=1-40&keywords=Vis+Running+top

Blimey - long link !
« Last Edit: 21 April 2015, 07:46:04 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

risticuss

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2015, 07:49:51 pm »
It's getting to be a normal one for me too. I literally have 5 roundabouts and 2 t-junctions to get to work and I feel I can never be visible enough. Defensive riding can only go so far. I'm just fed up with ignorant drivers.

I do wear a hi-viz, I was even wearing one when I was reversed into, and when I was pulled out on.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 April 2015, 08:36:26 pm »
I have taken to wearing a high vis during the winter months with that very low sun even with lights on its hard to be seen sometimes especially thanks to stupid EU now means all cars also have daylight running lights so I dont stand out so much as I used to with my lights (I dont commute by the way)
I have got a aldi high vis running top which is stretchy and fits a treat over my leather jacket, and the cuffs go over my leather cuffs and sit around my wrist so its easy to get my gloves on and off too, also the arms are high viz so not just a waistcoat

How do you find it works, breathable wise etc? I'm guessing if it gets wet with rain it'll just soak it up and isn't waterproof, that's fair enough but it's still got to 'breathe' I'm thinking as it's a running top
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2015, 08:54:10 pm »
I use this one, i think there's only 2 sizes, midget or big.
But it's fully adjustable on the sides, and the thing i really like about it is that it doesn't flap about AT ALL, and is very well made and durable,and breathable.

http://www.moto24.co.uk/icon-motorcycle-vest-mil-spec-mesh-vest-yellow.html

Better pictures here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/ICON-MIL-SPEC-MESH-VEST-YELLOW-Military-Spec-High-Visibility-Fighter-Mesh-Motorcycle-Riding-Vest-FREE/100717_595414538.html
« Last Edit: 21 April 2015, 08:56:13 pm by darrsi »

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 April 2015, 09:09:31 pm »
A real shame to hear this Risti :( ......my daughter is 14 weeks old & its strange how having a kid makes you worry more about them not having you around......but all that being said i think most bikers are also parents & it's probably a stage that we learn to get through & out the other side perhps just a little bit more mellow.

Sorry to all yous all year bikers...i dont mean offence....& arguably we should be switched on whilst driving any
Vehicle on the roads...but i think having to ride a bike every day when you have an off day or are feeling a bit under the weather or knackered or whatever....well its not ideal is it.

Risti you'll be knackered already with having the baby...perhaps you're so knackered that this is why these lunatics are getting to you more than usual....is there the option for you to just use a car until youve had more time to come back to earth a bit.

Seems a shame to can biking for good....why not just minimise the exposure by using the bike only for fun riding at weekends or summer time maybe.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 April 2015, 09:39:23 pm »

How do you find it works, breathable wise etc? I'm guessing if it gets wet with rain it'll just soak it up and isn't waterproof, that's fair enough but it's still got to 'breathe' I'm thinking as it's a running top

Fing is that tis of no matter cause ive got me leathers under, which aint breathable, and just to recap its not the actual one in the picture but it looks just like it.
Also I dont do rain so that is not an issue either, but you can get the water proof ones

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 April 2015, 09:41:13 pm »
Yep kids do bring on a new perspective on life for sure. BUT sometimes its BECAUSE of them that you are gonna wonna get out on the bike
« Last Edit: 21 April 2015, 09:41:56 pm by fazersharp »

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 April 2015, 09:42:36 pm »
I agree with Noggy, take a wee break while you spend time with your new born and use the bike as a 'fun thing' on weekends or when you can get out.
Take into account by the time you've put on your kit for a 10 minute ride in the morning and home at night, you could actually get to work relaxed. And add to this your probably not doing your bike any good as it's not getting enough time to warm up etc.
I commute for only 10 miles to work, but I go for a run after work most days before I go home, admitted, I'm single and can do as I please, but I still go out at weekends too and that's where the enjoyment comes into its own.
Don't give up yet, put it on the back burner for now and spent the time with your family, that is time you will never get back, you'll always have the bike in the background, if you sell it you'll maybe regret it.
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 April 2015, 09:54:36 pm »
Yep kids do bring on a new perspective on life for sure. BUT sometimes its BECAUSE of them that you are gonna wonna get out on the bike

:agree
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 April 2015, 07:02:43 am »
I know you shouldn't be judgemental, but i was looking at a woman next to me yesterday morning driving her car in the opposite direction with kids in the back, we were all a bit congested trying to get in/out of a back road shortcut, and i thought to myself "I bet she's a really bad driver?"
At that point i saw her 'only' look right, then pull straight out into the path of another car coming from the left causing both to do emergency stops.  :look
Daily occurrence though, and now i've learned to try and be seen, keep your distance, don't take unnecessary chances and take your time. I'm in no major hurry to get to work anyway.
If you're a pedestrian who walks out in front of me though, which happens a lot near my work, you're gonna get an earful of air horn and me not stopping, 'cos that's just bad manners in my opinion, especially when they're extremely close to a proper crossing.  :grumble

risticuss

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 April 2015, 08:56:08 am »
OK, so I've had time to sleep and calm down.

Darrsi, I normally wear a hi-viz jacket and only occasionally go out with out one on (and even then it's stashed under the seat) and find that around here, it makes next to no difference. I'm in Peterborough which is surrounded by 70mph dual carriageways with major roundabouts connecting them, and people just seem to be in such a rush to get onto and off the roundabouts that they just don't look long enough. Especially when at each entrance to said roundabouts there are bushes and shrubs, I think designed to obstruct the view onto them, making it more likely that drivers stop. Alas, they don't.

My bike has had the dual headlight mod done, and I even have white LED (stupid bright) sidelights fitted to give a contrast between the headlights and sidelights to make people think "Wait a minute, that looks weird". I use my bike for commuting and fun riding and really don't want to go adding truck loads of extra lighting to it and ruin the look of it. That and every time I then go to it I'll think that the lights are only on there to stop me dying, and it'll remove all the enjoyment.
Perhaps some subtly placed extra lighting, and louder exhaust, and a massive air horn  ;)

Noggy, you're not wrong about being tired, I was for the first two weeks I had off, but strangely I seem to be more awake this last week than before she arrived. I think though that I'm going to have a bit of time off from the bike, take the car to work and try to ignore the nice weather. The thing is that I'm not in the position of being able to have the bike for just fun or summer riding, as we could really do with getting a bigger car, considering all the extra stuff you need to take out with you and the massive German Sheppard which takes up the boot of our Focus. Plus, I think riding every day (or nearly every day) makes me more aware of traffic and less likely to get into trouble by only riding occasionally.

I'll give it a couple of weeks/a month and see how I feel. I love my bike and even if I sell it and get another in a few years, I'll probably regret selling this one, but I also need to have a proper think about it. I'll still be hanging round here though  :D

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 April 2015, 10:38:19 am »
Got to love the community here; instead of everyone jumping on a possible sale for their own benefit like vultures, the unanimous response has been to try and offer support and keep someone on their bike ^.^

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 April 2015, 10:58:24 am »
Get rid of the dog

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 April 2015, 11:05:06 am »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 April 2015, 11:17:54 am »
Forget a louder exhaust, the best thing is to what I have done with mine

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 April 2015, 11:30:21 am »
Would be better if that was an electronic Gatling gun.  :evil

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 April 2015, 11:35:51 am »
fazersharp....you're a genius....................a machine gun disguised as an exhaust :evil

if you're after a loud horn....I got one of these for the bandit......its a big old fella and you may have to root around to fit it but my mechanic got it tucked in just inside the nose fairing near the left fork

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stebel-Nautilus-Compact-black-for-cars-and-motorcycles-extremely-loud-/291439231527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43db21c227

ref the hi viz... I wear a builders waistcoat but I think the long sleeved ones offer better visibility as the "body" can be "lost" behind the screen whereas the sleeves tend to be noticeable due to your arms sticking out a bit more

having said all this.....I've had dozy cnuts pull out on roundabouts in front of our fire engine en route to a job.....two tones going/blues on/white flashing headlamps on.........sometimes you just gotta admit that no matter what you do.......there's always some clown who won't see you :'(

with others on this.....take a break, don't sell her yet

fire never sleeps

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 April 2015, 11:36:55 am »
darssi, you stole the words outta my gob while I was typing, yer git
fire never sleeps

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 April 2015, 12:37:47 pm »
fazersharp....you're a genius....................a machine gun disguised as an exhaust :evil

if you're after a loud horn....I got one of these for the bandit......its a big old fella and you may have to root around to fit it but my mechanic got it tucked in just inside the nose fairing near the left fork

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stebel-Nautilus-Compact-black-for-cars-and-motorcycles-extremely-loud-/291439231527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43db21c227

ref the hi viz... I wear a builders waistcoat but I think the long sleeved ones offer better visibility as the "body" can be "lost" behind the screen whereas the sleeves tend to be noticeable due to your arms sticking out a bit more

having said all this.....I've had dozy cnuts pull out on roundabouts in front of our fire engine en route to a job.....two tones going/blues on/white flashing headlamps on.........sometimes you just gotta admit that no matter what you do.......there's always some clown who won't see you :'(

with others on this.....take a break, don't sell her yet

That's exactly the same air horn I have, fitted under the left fairing infill, with a bit of jiggery pokery.
Worth every penny.  :thumbup

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 April 2015, 12:50:44 pm »
Ive got the one down from that the magnum smaller but still louder than OEM

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 April 2015, 12:53:52 pm »
Ive got the one down from that the magnum smaller but still louder than OEM

My OEM one sometimes works; when it hasn't fallen off somewhere  :lol

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 April 2015, 02:22:36 pm »
Of course ride defencely,,,but also ride Aggressive, :eek,, get out there,headlights on,,plenty of revving,,look menacing,,stay out by the whirte line, not by the kerb,,be seen,,be seen to be menacing,,frighten the fucktards :lol :lol

oh and hob nail boots,,,so anyone who tries it gets a boot in the passenger door,,i did it once,,guy cut me up on a roundabout, I followed him to the next roundabout and went up the inside a "BOOT" in his door :lol :lol :lol :lol
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.