Date: 07-05-24  Time: 12:35 pm

Author Topic: High mileage FZ1's  (Read 8440 times)

Mazzamark

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
High mileage FZ1's
« on: 10 September 2013, 09:20:12 pm »
Hi all,

I'm new to fazers and new to this forum.

I have to say I'm very impressed with the bike a 2007 FZ1, after having so many different bikes from ducati race 998's to yamaha xt 600's.

The only problem I have had with the bike up to now is someone has changed the original indicators to led's and one has burned out (I hate modified stuff) and I need to get back to standard.

I'm planning on taking mine to Portugal in June when we emigrate and was wondering what kind of mileage I can consider stacking up? It has a power commander on and a boss can. I really dont want to be replacing her for a while.

Any help much appreciated

Mark

Mazzamark

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: High mileage FZ1's
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2013, 09:39:57 pm »
I should have added its got 11K miles on it and not an original colour!

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2013, 09:53:16 pm »
Hello there, very different colour,

Milage! i have not read of any great milage on a gen 2,yet! the Yamahas like Hondas etc seem to go on forever,service done proper presuming,oil.filter at good periods.

If it runs well and does not use oil then look after it and it seems the older ones have done 100,000 miles, bearings on swingarm and wheels will probably be the wear points.

An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2013, 10:01:54 pm »
I should have added its not an original colour!

[/quote
 :eek NO SHIT :eek

Ben Diesel

• Foc-u Pikey
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR750FS FJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2013, 04:49:06 pm »
Mine is May 2008, done 53,000 on it so far, passed MOT in May, advisory that swinging arm and rear suspension bearings starting to show some slack.

Slightly detuned R1 engine will go forever as long as it's maintained with the usual consumables at the right intervals.

PS - if you need to convert back to OE indicators, I have some spares. Drop me a PM if interested.
« Last Edit: 11 September 2013, 04:51:14 pm by Ben Diesel »

Strifae

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2013, 04:58:21 pm »
I really like that colour - is that Ford Focus ST Orange?

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 September 2013, 07:17:41 pm »
Have a look at this one, maybe the inspiration for the above colour

http://www.nationalsuperbike.com/2013/01/15/orange-yamaha-fz1-finished/
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 September 2013, 09:30:36 pm »
If it runs well and does not use oil then look after it and it seems the older ones have done 100,000 miles, bearings on swingarm and wheels will probably be the wear points.

If my 108k Gen 1 is anything to go by, it'll be rear shock, fork pitting, EXUP valve, cables and the white main wiring connector, in that order. For whatever reason, my discs and rear suspension linkages are absolutely fine, even after being ridden through 12 full winters. It has a hugger, of course, and I only use genuine Yamaha brake pads and I can't stress the importance of that last point enough if you're going to keep it for a long time.

Apart from the dodgy finish typical of most jap bikes, I reckon Fazers are astonishingly well made and reliable. If I bought a new one, I'd strip it down and get it repainted properly, replace the white main wiring connector, fit fork gaiters, then douse it in ACF50 and then enjoy another 12 years of great biking.

Also, Nick Sanders rode an R1 round the world via deserts and mud holes with no problems. I've even see the bike and I'm sure it would clean up fine.

I'm not sure why I shouldn't expect an R1 to do that, besides the fact that deserts are not where you'd find sports bikes, but Yamaha make a reliable bike, and having had many Hondas and Kawasakis, all of which rotted their exhausts/linkages/discs, I think they're the leaders in longevity. I know everyone goes on about Honda quality, but I just don't see it. Maybe it's the slightly thicker paint....

rik

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2013, 06:09:59 pm »
Nice colour looks great in orange :b :lol

ChrisJH

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 September 2013, 07:13:51 pm »
like Orange & Black looks tidy
i don`t have anything profound or funny to write so .............................

Mazzamark

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 September 2013, 08:58:10 pm »
Thanks everyone!

I already have bought some cheap and nasty led indicators but thank you.

The colour i'm not sure, I thought it looked KTM orange but probably wrong.

What are the service mileages and what needs done? Its had a PC3 fitted with a dyno and recent K&N and oil but want to make sure.

I have to say I'm so looking forward to taking it to a country that doesnt use salt!

Mark

Mazzamark

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 September 2013, 09:07:51 pm »
Whats all this about EXUP valves? I have looked at my downpipe/head bolts and said to myself I hope Inever need to take them off, I bet its something to do with that?

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 September 2013, 11:09:33 pm »
Hi all,

I'm new to fazers and new to this forum.

I have to say I'm very impressed with the bike a 2007 FZ1, after having so many different bikes from ducati race 998's to yamaha xt 600's.

The only problem I have had with the bike up to now is someone has changed the original indicators to led's and one has burned out (I hate modified stuff) and I need to get back to standard.

I'm planning on taking mine to Portugal in June when we emigrate and was wondering what kind of mileage I can consider stacking up? It has a power commander on and a boss can. I really dont want to be replacing her for a while.

Any help much appreciated

Mark
Mark have sent you a PM, But before you take the bike to Portugal checkout insurance costs and registration costs. I would imagine Portugal will be similar to Spain. I moved here in March and brought out my 2011 Kawasaki Z1000SX in April. It was going to cost €670.00 to insure and to put on Spanish Plates €1053.00. Unless you take the bike back to the UK once a year for an MOT. Also if and when you put it on Portugese plates you will have to have a Portugese version of an MOT, they will insist that you change the headlight unless the FZ1 can be altered to there side of the road. Just a few points to be considered. I ended up selling my SX in the end and bought a FZ6 S 2 N out here.
Lew
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

Mazzamark

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 September 2013, 08:53:57 pm »
Mark have sent you a PM, But before you take the bike to Portugal checkout insurance costs and registration costs. I would imagine Portugal will be similar to Spain. I moved here in March and brought out my 2011 Kawasaki Z1000SX in April. It was going to cost €670.00 to insure and to put on Spanish Plates €1053.00. Unless you take the bike back to the UK once a year for an MOT. Also if and when you put it on Portugese plates you will have to have a Portugese version of an MOT, they will insist that you change the headlight unless the FZ1 can be altered to there side of the road. Just a few points to be considered. I ended up selling my SX in the end and bought a FZ6 S 2 N out here.Lew

Hi Lew,

Thanks for your info, trouble is with Portugal, im sure Spain is the same, 3rd party only is dirt cheap, fully comp is very expensive. I'm looking into registration, you are right, its a horrible price and I didnt consider the changing of the headlight. How did your FZ6 compare price wise to the UK, cars and bikes are very expensive in PT,

Thanks again,

Mark