Date: 27-04-24  Time: 17:39 pm

Author Topic: New biker... Need new front tyre only. Sportmax on rear.  (Read 1251 times)

Lambonumber5

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
New biker... Need new front tyre only. Sportmax on rear.
« on: 22 September 2012, 04:33:14 pm »
Having just got my license last week got myself a 2003 FZS600.... It's a low mileage bike (8k), but I reckon it's still got the original front tyre on it... and whilst it may have another 1K -2K left in it , being almost 10 years old I want to change it.

The rear is fairly new but a Sportmax.... I guess reading the forums there are better tyres out there, so want to start by swapping the front... I presume I can mix and match to a small extent, so ask for advice on what I could switch to whilst keeping the rear for now.

Looking for a reasonable hard wearer as most riding will be commuting along the A27.

Appreciate your help, and the odd comedy answer!!

Cheers,
Gary

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: New biker... Need new front tyre only. Sportmax on rear.
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2012, 04:56:50 pm »
i have those tyres on my bike and i can't complain. use it in all weather and i've found them to be good in the wet and dry and good mileage so far. but you can mix them if you want

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2012, 05:07:00 pm »
Well done on getting your licence. Good move re tyre. They all have a manufacture date on side wall eg 3810 = week 38 year 2010. Tyres are reckoned to have a 5 year life(by makers) but your bike may have been stood in one position which doesnt do them any good. Try and use same brand/type of tyre front & rear but be guided bt tyre fitter :lol

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2012, 07:39:34 pm »
I agree with dave in that you should  use the same tyre front and back.
A good quality sports tourer tyre so that you get the best of both worlds ie grip and longevity.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Bussy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - fz1 57 Plate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2012, 11:46:09 am »
Well I got BT023 on my fz1 sport/touring tyres and the back one has done 4500 miles and still has at least another 3000 miles left init. Depends on what you require and how you ride I suppose.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2012, 11:59:41 am »
I have BT023's front and rear and again have done about 4k miles and they still have plenty of life in them. If you have just passed your test (I passed mine this time last year :D) then you aren't likely to be shredding the tyres so you should get relatively good mileage I would have thought :P

nobleFZS

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2012, 02:23:25 pm »
Congrats on the licence!  :thumbup  best thing you will ever do!!

I fitted the new (2012) Metzeler Z8 Roadtec tyres to my FZS is June. Best tyres i have had, amazing grip in the wet. Highly recommend.