Date: 07-05-24  Time: 19:15 pm

Author Topic: Changing throttle cables without removing carbs...  (Read 1135 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Changing throttle cables without removing carbs...
« on: 08 June 2019, 09:38:04 pm »
How hard is this to do, assuming its even doable with the carbs in situ...

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Changing throttle cables without removing carbs...
« Reply #1 on: 09 June 2019, 02:36:58 pm »
I'm afraid it's not really possible, the carbs have to come out to hook the cables round the central pivot. On the plus side, Pat's FZ1 page makes it a fairly painless affair
http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/carbremoval.html

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 June 2019, 03:24:44 pm »
dont cut corners bud and it aint too bad getting them in and out.... ;)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 June 2019, 07:10:11 pm »
dont cut corners bud and it aint too bad getting them in and out....
Says you, the air box has never moved back far enough back for me to easily slide the carbs out. With enough light and a pair of very long nose pliers surely it must be possible in situe - of course I could go through all this and discover the throttle is never going to be as light as the bandit's...

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2019, 09:20:37 pm »
lol its certainly tight. I cant see how you can do the cables with them in situ though mate, its awkward when the buggers are out!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 June 2019, 11:00:38 pm »
The secret to removing the carbs is when you push the airbox back full move the exup vavle cables out of the way on the right side and tighten the bolts holding the air box in place to keep it in that position.You wont have to remove them completely but you do need to dismount and take them half way out the left side.
I honestly do not see any possible way of doing it with the carbs in situ.

ArchDruid

• DAS Born Again
  • wearing my tyres with pride
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Tiger 1050; YZF750/1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2019, 05:37:45 pm »
Best to take the carbs halfway out. You’ll probably spend more time (& frustration) trying to get the cables in with the carbs in place, compared to taking them out.
The airbox has slotted mountings on all three bolts, about 1 inch of travel. This is enough to clear the carbs from the rubbers & wiggle them out. Mind the Exup cables as unfazed mentioned. I also removed the battery to free up movement of the airbox. Loosen the throttle cables on the twist grip end, and once the carbs are halfway out, (throttle cables just on the outside of the frame) you will have much better access. Getting the pull cable on is a bit fiddly, but overall, its not a difficult job.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 June 2019, 07:07:08 pm »
you push the airbox back full move the exup vavle cables out of the way on the right side and tighten the bolts holding the air box in place
This is enough to clear the carbs from the rubbers & wiggle them out. I also removed the battery to free up movement of the airbox.
Im sure I did this before and all I ended up doing was bending the airbox rubbers and thier clamps, but will have to try again and see if I can free up enough room to clear said rubbers.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 June 2019, 05:47:01 pm »
EXUP cables out the right side, also move the coolant overflow hose that runs between the airbox and the frame.  Finally, there's a zip tie which holds the rubber tank block on the frame crossrail ... make sure the block on the zip tie isn't fouling against the frame.  All these things should give you about 1 - 1.5cm clearance, which is enough.  Obviously the battery has to come out, too ... ;)

Final tip to avoid catching and mangling the rear airbox clamps.  When you've slackened them off, push them tight against the airbox and then tighten them up.  Keeps them off the front of the rubber stub and prevents them getting dragged and bent. :)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 June 2019, 06:17:58 pm »
thats a good call mike, I bent one he last time I had mine out

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 June 2019, 08:46:27 pm »
  • EXUP cables out the right side,
  • also move the coolant overflow hose that runs between the airbox and the frame. 
  • Finally, there's a zip tie which holds the rubber tank block on the frame crossrail ... make sure the block on the zip tie isn't fouling against the frame.  All these things should give you about 1 - 1.5cm clearance,
  • Obviously the battery has to come out, too ... ;)
  • Final tip to avoid catching and mangling the rear airbox clamps.  When you've slackened them off, push them tight against the airbox and then tighten them up.
  • I thought I did that last time, but this time I will keep them out of the way with a bungee.
  • Knew about that one.
  • last time I had that facing upward away from the box - what is that bloody thing for anyway, vibration cushion for the airbox or the tank..?
  • Yep did that also.
  • doh!, dont know why I didnt think of that last time - mangling them is beyond annoying...
nice one mista!