Date: 19-04-24  Time: 16:27 pm

Author Topic: FZ1 headers: replaceable coller/clamps..?  (Read 1115 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
FZ1 headers: replaceable coller/clamps..?
« on: 08 August 2020, 11:56:44 am »
So I am looking at replacement headers on ebay and came across this set, that appears to have removeable collars/clamps -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192329057933

I checked Fowlers and these don't look removable, so my question is where would we go and buy these from..?
« Last Edit: 08 August 2020, 07:49:39 pm by b1k3rdude »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1 headers: replaceable coller/clamps..?
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2020, 01:12:27 pm »
I've known clever engineering based people make bolt together header clamps. Would imagine those headers have been removed with an angle grinder or something similar.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2020, 02:44:34 pm »
I've known clever engineering based people make bolt together header clamps. Would imagine those headers have been removed with an angle grinder or something similar.
Yeah thats what Im thinking, which is why I have pinged the seller to ask for some pictures of the clamps.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2020, 04:12:17 pm »
Possible something like this
Ah nice one. Well I may need these then as this is what the header nuts/clamps look like atm.

Just put a deposit down on it (only ABS, black frame-engine-wheels) that has come up in 3 months, its gonna require some TLC in addition to the headers but with then have a nice weekend bike. I negotiated a £200 discount for the state of the headers.
What gets me is the bike has only done 26k, I have owned bikes with double that with headers in better condition.
« Last Edit: 08 August 2020, 04:17:35 pm by b1k3rdude »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2020, 06:24:37 pm »
I suppose it just underlines what neglect can do. One of those “I’ll clean that properly next time”, scenarios no doubt. Out of sight out of mind. Great looking bike by the way. Always loved the proper Yamaha blue, even though mines red’n’black :lol . The forks set it off a treat.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2020, 07:47:38 pm »
Well the deal may not go through. I showed the image of the headers to 3 different places and they all quoted me 10-13hrs as its an engine out job. And round where I live thats just shy of £800 pushing the price of the bike £1250 over book price, which is a non starter. So have emailed the shop with 2 options. Either they fix it and do me a deal on the labour or refund me my deposit.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 August 2020, 11:16:05 pm »
Well the deal may not go through. I showed the image of the headers to 3 different places and they all quoted me 10-13hrs as its an engine out job. And round where I live thats just shy of £800 pushing the price of the bike £1250 over book price, which is a non starter. So have emailed the shop with 2 options. Either they fix it and do me a deal on the labour or refund me my deposit.

An engine out job for what? Removing those headers? That's a load of crap!
They look messy but nothing some plus gas and elbow grease couldnt sort out. I suspect they are just high balling you as they don't want to do it
Admittedly I wouldnt want to buy the bike with them like that unless it was at a good discount.

I honestly think that unless your desperate for a bike then your better off holding back now anyway. Its getting late in the season so the prices should start to drop
Also a slight benefit to all this Covid crap and the upcoming job losses may lead to a lot of people trying to flog their bikes very soon once the furlough dries up and they get laid off.
Not the nicest way to buy one but every cloud and all that

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 August 2020, 12:23:34 am »
+1 on that! soak them in pen.oil for a week,if they're still solid get a blow torch of sorts and you'll definately get 'em out,fuckin'engine out, load of BOLLOCKS! :finger
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 August 2020, 11:50:41 am »
Plusgas is a good idea but takes time, and most shops dont want a bike sitting there using up space while is soaks in. Yes I could do that part, but I would have to buy the bike and take the risk, a risk that could end up costing me the equivalent price of an engine. I live in a 3rd floor flat so any and all work has to be done outside.

I can see the logic for the labour numbers because, I had a 1200 that had a snapped stud a few years ago. I took it to my local engineering place and due to the frame rail just being too close to the stud, I had to drop the engine in-situ so he could drill vertically/accurately. And even then was only able to do the drop/install because he kindly proved a second set of hands and a trolley jack. That engineering shop has since shut down and my local shop that let me work on their shop on a Saturday shut down a few years ago. And I don't have a mate or know anyone well enough that has a garage where I could try and do the work myself.

Had my local guy had the space I might have then asked if I could do the work of dropping and reinstalling the engine, so all he had to do was dealing with drilling any of the snapped studs out and help me guide the engine in/out.  He dud suggest as an alternative option that I could swap the head, but I only would one of these on ebay and I would still have to pay him to do the swap.
And besides all of the above, I don't want to be dealing with any of this crap on a bike I have just bought, that I would have potentially paid almost 4k for... Yes for some capitalist, price gouging, greedy, rip your customers off reason - all the 2007/FZ1 I have found are all going for near or above 4k. I havd found 2 other FZ1's with ABS -

£4600: 2011, 30k, ABS, dealer:
black frame, black engine, wheels w/polished rims, bodywork is custom white & blue. so the wheels and the bodywork would need painting). The price is way over book due to the mileage, should be 4k or close too.

£4500: 2010, 10k, ABS, dealer:
black frame, black engine, black wheels, bodywork is red. This price is about right. But the one image where I can see number 3 cylinder I can see some corrosion. getting some photos sent to me.

£4350: 2010, 10k, ABS, private:
 black frame, black engine, gold wheels, bodywork is darkblue.
This price is a bit high. Getting some photos, sent to me.
« Last Edit: 09 August 2020, 12:12:11 pm by b1k3rdude »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 August 2020, 11:58:19 am »
£4500: 2010, 10k, ABS, dealer:
black frame, black engine, black wheels, bodywork is red. This price is about right. But the one image where I can see number 3 cylinder I can see some corrosion. getting some photos sent to me.
So another example of the famous Yamaha low quality steel, it beggars belief how much the metal has corroded this much in only 10k.

« Last Edit: 09 August 2020, 12:13:16 pm by b1k3rdude »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 August 2020, 09:54:01 pm »
So still looking for a bike, but in the meantime I ran with Gnasher's info and found a much better version of the split flange, but the seller is having a laugh asking for £30 per flange pair (total would be £120) -

- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VTR-1000f-Firestorm-New-Stainless-Steel-Exhaust-Split-Flange-for-Manifold/153932579404?hash=item23d718c24c:g:NjYAAOSwKW1evZdr