Date: 29-03-24  Time: 12:47 pm

Author Topic: Replacement keys - advice please!  (Read 2632 times)

FZDick

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Norton Commando 750
    • View Profile
Replacement keys - advice please!
« on: 15 July 2020, 08:17:01 pm »
My 2008 FZ1 came with 1 key and the red master.
Having lost or broke keys in the past, me thinks better get another spare black one just in case.
Bought spare off eBay, arrived and cut at local key grinder, chip read as per spec found on-line, jobs a good 'un!
Here's the BUT though, original black key that came with the bike now longer acknowledged by immobiliser! :'(
So, programme original key, then new one won't be seen by ECU!
Is this just the way it is? Only 1 key as with master allowed to be programmed at a time? Or have I just bought a DUD from the Bay? :\
So spare key to be read when original lost, which is why red master is so valuable?
Any thoughts or detail please let me know,
Dick Snow.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement keys - advice please!
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2020, 10:11:37 pm »
Here's the BUT though, original black key that came with the bike now longer acknowledged by immobiliser!
  • So, programme original key, then new one won't be seen by ECU!
  • Is this just the way it is? Only 1 key as with master allowed to be programmed at a time? Or have I just bought a DUD from the Bay? :\
  • So spare key to be read when original lost, which is why red master is so valuable?
  • How did you do the programming can I ask? there is no info on forum about this and I would like to add it to the FZ1 faq.
  • It would seem a bit daft that you can only have one active key - was key genuine yamaha? got a link to the ebay seller as this info could be usefull to other owners.
  • If you loose the master you would have to buy another ECU with a red master, immobilisor and matching keys. Or  you can go down the route of replace the  immobiliser with a 'immobiliser emulator' - http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=25755.msg304958#msg304958. But you would loose the security function and I assume have to technically declare this to the insurance co.
Lastly what did you local Yam dealer say about your issue..?

b.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 July 2020, 10:25:47 pm »
In a related note I fond this place in AUS - https://www.innerwestsecurity.com/automotive/yamaha/yamaha-fz1/

So tomoz am gonna look for some Locksmiths in the UK that can provide the same service.

FZDick

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Norton Commando 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 July 2020, 08:35:23 am »
  • How did you do the programming can I ask? there is no info on forum about this and I would like to add it to the FZ1 faq.
  • It would seem a bit daft that you can only have one active key - was key genuine yamaha? got a link to the ebay seller as this info could be usefull to other owners.
  • If you loose the master you would have to buy another ECU with a red master, immobilisor and matching keys. Or  you can go down the route of replace the  immobiliser with a 'immobiliser emulator' - http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=25755.msg304958#msg304958. But you would loose the security function and I assume have to technically declare this to the insurance co.
Lastly what did you local Yam dealer say about your issue..?

1 - ok, programmed as found detail on the web - https://youtu.be/j4JVcC1O2ow :-
-Insert RED MASTER key, turn on, start engine, stop and remove key.
-Immobilizer light will start after 30 seconds
-Reinsert MASTER key, turn ignition on, then off, remove MASTER and insert NEW key within 5 seconds and switch on ignition.
-Remove NEW key, then re-insert and switch on, new key will enable immobilizer off and start engine.
     It really is that easy! OK, might have took 2 attempts, but it does add new key to ECU, albeit I can't use original, but can easily toggle between the two.
2- Ebay link below, this is not a genuine Yamaha key and doesn't claim to be:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Blank-Key-with-CHIP-R1-R6-FZ6-FZ1-FZ8-FJR1300-XJ6-MT10-Gold-Silver-blade/203022906755?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
3- Immobiliser emulator, really cant see the point, not risking invalid insurance as undoubtedly they know what to look for!

Yamaha dealer - after being told a replacement key would be £52 + vat, then labour time ( 30 mins min) then getting key cut is the whole reason I went eBay route, £21 for blade then £5 for cutting.
If I went back would be like a dog with it's tail between it's legs!
Pleased key works and it can be associated to ECU, but miffed that by adding new key I loose old key functionality, but easily changed.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2020, 09:42:01 am »
These cheap ebay keys often do as you've found.  It's all to do with them cheap rip off's not being exactly compatible, with ECU operating system. 

Have a search and find a better blank key transponder provider.   

I've not personally used these guys http://www.autolocksmithoxfordshire.co.uk/yamaha-bike-keys.html , but not heard anything bad about them and I've no idea of the costs.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2020, 12:14:25 pm by Gnasher »
Later

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2020, 12:10:56 pm »
Yamaha dealer - after being told a replacement key would be £52 + vat, then labour time ( 30 mins min) then getting key cut is the whole reason I went eBay route, £21 for blade then £5 for cutting.
Ok I see the key being pricey, but adding labour ontop of that is ripping off the customer. I am doing a phone around atm to get a more details breakdown of costs, amnd what do when you do and dont have the read key (there are a few ECU's on ebay with either just the back key or no key at all.

It's all to do with them cheap rip off's not being exactly compatible, with ECU operating system.  Have a search and find a better blank key transponder provider.   
having a look now.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2020, 12:23:36 pm by b1k3rdude »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 July 2020, 12:15:30 pm »
Got more info on this Gnasher?

I forgot to post the link  :rollin it's there now sorry  ;)
Later

FZDick

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Norton Commando 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 July 2020, 03:30:35 pm »
I fail to see that anything is wrong with the eBay key, as said above, the DIY programming works, and the key is seen by the ECU, and works a treat!
Just that the original key will not work now! However, if I do the programming proceedure for the original key, it is then fine but the new key no longer works!
So I can have either and the red key, but not red and both!
Is there a "maximum number" of keys allowed by the ECU? Add a new one and it removes an existing one?
Suppose it's off to main dealer and pay for programming unless anyone can advise?

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 July 2020, 04:07:24 pm »
Only 1 key as with master allowed to be programmed at a time?
When you use the red master key yes, only one key can be done at a time! If you want more than one key done then go to an Autolocksmith or Yamaha dealer.

Created a YISS faq thread - http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=26347.0
« Last Edit: 16 July 2020, 04:11:49 pm by b1k3rdude »

FZDick

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Norton Commando 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 July 2020, 08:36:27 am »

Only 1 key as with master allowed to be programmed at a time?
When you use the red master key yes, only one key can be done at a time! If you want more than one key done then go to an Autolocksmith or Yamaha dealer.

Created a YISS faq thread - http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=26347.0

Thanks Dude, logical answer that I can relate to!

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 July 2020, 09:38:44 am »
Thanks Dude, logical answer that I can relate to!
hah, I only learned this myself due to doing said chats with some Autolocksmiths.