Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:31 am

Author Topic: Aftermarket Handlebars on the Gen II  (Read 950 times)

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Aftermarket Handlebars on the Gen II
« on: 24 June 2019, 08:35:46 am »
Hello Foccers!

It's been a while!

So after years of putting it off due to varying degrees of information about how complicated/successful it might be, I finally changed the bars on my FZ1-N for something a bit higher and a bit wider.

As part of my desperate attempts to help the world at large, I made a video of the whole drawn out, knuckle scraping, head scratching, bike dismantling process!

https://youtu.be/0tL64UX4ti0

It's a bit of a long one, but then the job was far more of a monster than expected! Maybe get yourself a coffee before you start!  :lol

I also changed the brake lines before I started for some braided lines that are about 5cm longer than stock.

The video for that endeavour is here:

https://youtu.be/QFQLR1QlF8w

Looking forward to hearing about what I did wrong/right and what you folks think of it.

Ultimately I'm really happy and the bike is now FAR more comfortable for my wrists, shoulders and spine! It's easier than ever to smash it into the tight twisties with a bit of countersteer.

Also the cockpit area now looks far neater, with all the cables and wires now nestling nicely together.

Cheers!

Andy.

« Last Edit: 24 June 2019, 08:40:27 am by apage16 »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Aftermarket Handlebars on the Gen II
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2019, 10:55:31 am »
Hey Andy yeah I watched that video the other day... did seem like major faff about. I've done the opposite with mine. I had slightly raised bars (about 1 inch) and swapped them out for flat drag bars. The whole process took about 20 minutes when going the opposite way to yours 🤣
The bike was slightly more comfy with the higher bars but I think aesthetically it's much meaner looking with the flat ones and also it's much better at 'cough cough' "higher" speeds as I found the higher bars made me sit that little bit too upright and the wind used to get under my chest which forced me to pull up on the bars and make the front a bit flighty.
But as always horses for courses and all that 😅