Date: 19-04-24  Time: 07:29 am

Author Topic: LED replacement bulbs for FZS1000  (Read 15848 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
LED replacement bulbs for FZS1000
« on: 11 December 2016, 03:10:48 pm »
A few years ago I ordered a set of H4 LED bulbs, but found the light output far below the advertised spec. Fast forward to today where we are now on the 5th generation of H4 LED bulbs see here, so I hunted around online and found the same set at half the price -

- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Safego-Headlight-Conversion-Warranty-PHL6E-H4/dp/B01H59HZ5G/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1481323049&sr=8-8&keywords=H4+hi%2Flo+LED

They arrived and I fitted them today, I will take some more pics and a on-road review tomorrow after work.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: LED replacement bulbs for FZS1000
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2016, 03:13:00 pm »
look forward to hearing the results of this - the orangey halogen bulbs do my tits in on my bike - even moreso since I cant furn the foccers off! :)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2016, 03:31:01 pm »
even more so since I cant turn the foccers off!
I had the same issue when I first bought my 2005 -
  • So I grabbed the r/h switch gear and the l/h switchgear (only really need the r/h but wanted the hazard switch), front subloom (which included the headlight relays) off ebay.
  • Then it was just a case of adding and patching a few wires,  so the older subloom would work.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2016, 03:32:08 pm by b1k3rdude »

topgun44

• Weekend Warrior
  • ride hard a fast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2016, 04:25:32 pm »
yes let us know in week or so how the light is in the dark as I thinking going that way I have hid kit for years hopeful these are the new update these have little fan in back keep the led cool ?

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2016, 07:43:22 pm »
These are the new update these have little fan in back keep the led cool ?
That was one of the problems with the 1st gen LED replacement bulbs, the fan was not weather or waterproof (so IMHO making the whole assy pointless). The new 5th gen units are passively cooled, so no fan to get wet & become faulty etc.

When I went out to empty the bin, I sat on the bike and even though the road was wet - I was getting an impressive amount of light. The real test will be the ride back through London and then up the M1....
« Last Edit: 11 December 2016, 07:43:53 pm by b1k3rdude »

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2016, 09:05:08 pm »
I would be interested to know if the bulbs blind oncoming traffic and if they would pass an MOT test. Thanks

ram

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 December 2016, 09:05:24 pm »
the ones in the amazon link say thay have got a fan in the base?

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 December 2016, 09:32:39 pm »
I would be interested to know if the bulbs blind oncoming traffic and if they would pass an MOT test. Thanks
The beam pattern is almost as clean as stock halogen, with non of the overspill you get with HID, but people were pulling in to let me past on the way home so the lights do have an amount off axis light to them.
Correct, thats the reason I bought them. No little fan to get wet and ultimately fail.

topgun44

• Weekend Warrior
  • ride hard a fast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 December 2016, 10:00:03 pm »
just order one tonight take you word they are good

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 December 2016, 10:27:15 pm »
Right so tested it on the way home from work and I am 'mostly' impressed -
  • If we set the amount of light on the (super 120% brighter halogens! blah blah) as 50-75%, the LED bulbs would be 100% and a HID kit would be 120% and above.
  • The beam pattern isn't as full and contiguous as a HID would be, there were some small but noticeable 'dimmer' area's in said pattern.
  • These bulbs don't appear to be for the UK market to the kick-up that should be on the left is on the right - but I sorta got around that because the bulbs have the ability to be rotated in the holder (see the image in the OP that shows the little graduated lines, the bulb rotates in the base and has 2 little grub to lock it.
Here are the money shots -
« Last Edit: 13 December 2016, 08:44:23 am by b1k3rdude »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 December 2016, 08:43:15 am »
These bulbs don't appear to be for the UK market to the kick-up that should be on the left is on the right - but I sorta got around that because the bulbs have the ability to be rotated in the holder (see the image in the OP that shows the little graduated lines, the bulb rotates in the base and has 2 little grub to lock it.)
So I emailed the seller yesterday evening just to see if they can do anything and got a reply this morning, they asked me to do a picture with a little explanation of the issue (see below). So touch wood they will be able to send me a UK compatible set.

@Topgun44, check you kit when you get it - you may have to do the above.
« Last Edit: 13 December 2016, 08:44:12 am by b1k3rdude »

ram

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 December 2016, 10:38:52 am »

Correct, thats the reason I bought them. No little fan to get wet and ultimately fail.

but it says they HAVE got a fan in the base on the ones you bought?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 December 2016, 11:01:42 am »
I found an article on an American website that used a passive heat sink in the form of copper webbing loops that hang out the back of the bulb holder and can be bent to suit the space available.These were just fixed beams,not hi/low, but something of that nature would get round any fan unreliability problems.Interested to see how this project pans out,as would like to upgrade the headlamps by a plug and play method, and without the bother of adding spots.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 December 2016, 12:44:08 pm »
These bulbs don't appear to be for the UK market to the kick-up that should be on the left is on the right - but I sorta got around that because the bulbs have the ability to be rotated in the holder (see the image in the OP that shows the little graduated lines, the bulb rotates in the base and has 2 little grub to lock it.)
So I emailed the seller yesterday evening just to see if they can do anything and got a reply this morning, they asked me to do a picture with a little explanation of the issue (see below). So touch wood they will be able to send me a UK compatible set.

I have bought a set too. How can I tell if they are UK combatable until they are fitted? Mine have not been delivered yet. Do you have a contact number and I will phone them also.

topgun44

• Weekend Warrior
  • ride hard a fast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 December 2016, 06:50:02 pm »
Thanks for the tip they should  be here by Friday

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 December 2016, 10:48:50 am »

Can you put the old Halogen bulbs back in and repeat that photo to get a like for like comparison. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that the kick is a property of the reflector, not the bulb. You could also try using a cloth to cover one reflector and then the other to see if it is simply a mis-alignment of the reflectors that is causing that effect.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 December 2016, 10:20:15 pm »
These bulbs don't appear to be for the UK market to the kick-up that should be on the left
Can you put the old Halogen bulbs back in and repeat that photo to get a like for like comparison. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that the kick is a property of the reflector, not the bulb. You could also try using a cloth to cover one reflector and then the other to see if it is simply a mis-alignment of the reflectors that is causing that effect.
No need, the kick-up is supposed to be on the left. For example here is a shot from my bandit -

And a google search for "Uk low beam pattern", its not the end of the world but I am gonna have to over rotate the bulbs in the base-plate to get around the issue.
« Last Edit: 14 December 2016, 10:41:52 pm by b1k3rdude »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 December 2016, 10:36:52 pm »
So second part of the road test, found a dark garage at work to test the low and hi beam -

• The positioning of the low and hi beans is nigh on perfect, as in they are both verticaly where they are supposed to be. This is not the case for a lot of the telescopic HID hi/lo kits.
  • Another MASSIVE positive point in my book is the instant hi-beam, I can flash as fast and instantly as a the best OEM headlights I've seen fitted to cars.
  • The throw distance on the dip beam is also immense, even in the wet its illuminating things that the old halogens never touched (I need to take some shots)- and once I rotate the bulbs a bit more I will be able to increase that on the left hand side.
  • Filtering is much less frought with idiots pulling out, it still happens just a lot less.
  • in the few days I have been using them I have only been flashed 3 times by oncoming drivers, and incidently each of them had crap reflection based halogen headlights.
  • The bulbs are rated for 20W each, compared to the old halogens @ 55W - so I am saving 70W load on the alternator. And I am taking this further by replacing all the little 2W bulbs (18W) in the instrument cluster, LED brake lights (52W) and indicators (42W). So taking my heated grips (24W) into account, I will be saving roughly 100W
  • The 'instant-on' and crisp pattern of the lights never gets old.
The only fly in the ointment for me at this point is the fact they are NOT Uk-spec bulbs hence the rotating the bulbs in the holder trick to get the 'kick-up' on the left. I have pointed this out the seller, but as they are chinese this isnt light to happen atm, so will just have to wait for a UK-ready set to hit the web at some point.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2016, 10:13:39 pm by b1k3rdude »

topgun44

• Weekend Warrior
  • ride hard a fast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 December 2016, 06:26:56 pm »
👌 nice information I think I going to be happy with my

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: What car drivers see
« Reply #19 on: 15 December 2016, 10:16:16 pm »
Got a mate to take a shot of me on the bike, the new bulbs have less over-spill that the LED spots..

topgun44

• Weekend Warrior
  • ride hard a fast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 December 2016, 09:14:53 am »
got my kit today they are well made and very heavy to the hid kit going to fit them this  weekend  I see they was 13 in stock on amazon few days ago none know lol getting snap up I see these on ebay over 80 pound!

topgun44

• Weekend Warrior
  • ride hard a fast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 December 2016, 05:16:18 pm »
bike going into mot Thursday 22th so we will see if she pass with new led setup ?

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 December 2016, 05:29:36 pm »
bike going into mot Thursday 22th so we will see if she pass with new led setup ?
Hi Topgun44,
Let us know the outcome of the LED's in relation to the MOT.  :thumbup

topgun44

• Weekend Warrior
  • ride hard a fast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 December 2016, 05:50:41 pm »
Hi Topgun44,
Let us know the outcome of the LED's in relation to the MOT.  :thumbup
Will do sir  ;)

topgun44

• Weekend Warrior
  • ride hard a fast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 December 2016, 05:05:27 pm »
Well took to mot yes it pass with flying colour mot inspector said how bright the both lights were
Fu@k me I going to get set  :eek  went I left it was dark and my god beam is spot on I have hid for years but theses beat them with hands down  :lol
« Last Edit: 22 December 2016, 05:06:42 pm by topgun44 »