Date: 18-05-24  Time: 02:47 am

Author Topic: Advice on buying this Fazer?  (Read 8663 times)

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on buying this Fazer?
« Reply #25 on: 09 January 2017, 05:56:52 pm »
If you've got £1800 to spend then there is a 2005 Black Gen 1 on ebay. £1750, fully Ivanised, heated grips, etc. Seller needs a quick sale to buy a van.

Here's the link......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FZS1000-FAZER-/201777714866?hash=item2efae396b2:g:O74AAOSwa~BYcnKJ

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 January 2017, 06:03:33 pm »
I had a quick look at it , even for 1750 it looked like it's had a hard life  :'(
I did also notice that the 3000 miler hadn't sold yet for 5 grand , I wonder why ?
« Last Edit: 09 January 2017, 06:05:12 pm by Graham53 »

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 January 2017, 08:52:59 pm »
I did also notice that the 3000 miler hadn't sold yet for 5 grand , I wonder why ?

Yes, indeed. They've got some great looking / condition bikes but they are strongly priced. Took mine out around the block today for the first run out in ages, just to get the fuel flowing. Came back smiling as usual.  :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 January 2017, 09:24:45 pm »

strongly priced.

To what address should I send your Certificate of Achievement in Understatement?  :lol

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 January 2017, 10:21:39 pm »
 :deal       :D :D

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 11 January 2017, 07:01:20 pm »

strongly priced.

To what address should I send your Certificate of Achievement in Understatement?  :lol

I'll pm you the address. If you send it to the wife, she can file it with the others that she's awarded me over the years, for stating the bleeding obvious, master of sarcasm, being an irritating bas****, in fact, I think she may have already awarded me one for Understatement??????

Oh no, my mistake, that one was for Under achievement.  :)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11 January 2017, 07:22:07 pm »

I'll pm you the address. If you send it to the wife, she can file it with the others that she's awarded me over the years, for stating the bleeding obvious, master of sarcasm, being an irritating bas****, in fact, I think she may have already awarded me one for Understatement??????

Oh no, my mistake, that one was for Under achievement.  :)

:lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 11 January 2017, 08:15:21 pm »
Reading through this post make me smile. I have never owned a Gen1 Thou but would dearly love to, and who knows maybe I will if the right one comes along.

Talking about and comparing the Gen1 Thou with the FZS 600 seems daft as they are completely different bikes, by goodness knows how many BHP.

Sure! The 1 K will get to 120 quicker than the 600 but certainly wont stop any quicker, same front brakes and the 600 is lighter.
I know the 600 tops out a little over 140 MPH and I'm sure the Gen1 will go on for another 30MPH maybe more, but how many times a week do use our bikes full potential? I rarely go over 120MPH and even then I don't do that very often maybe once a month (If you are a policeman reading this its called fiction) so do I need another 50 MPH on top of that?
OF COURSE I DO, but anyone who thinks the FZS 600 is a poor relative to the Gen1 should really think again cos its not, it's certainly different but the FZS600 is a brilliant piece of machinery that has plenty of power, 0-60 in less than 4 seconds top end of 140-145MPH, it has an engine that has proved itself over many thousands of miles both in the Thundercat form and the FZS Fazer 600 form, really do I need any more. (See text in red).

The FZS600 is a bike that wants to please its owner and tries it's very best to do so, and to be honest is not found wanting.

Shame about the shite suspension though, but, that is curable with the R6 shock, or other independent manufacturers shocks. plus better springs up front.
Love my Baby FZS  :kiss
« Last Edit: 11 January 2017, 08:38:32 pm by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11 January 2017, 08:26:36 pm »
Oh! But I also love the look of the Gen1  :kiss  And enjoy reading the 1K posts

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11 January 2017, 08:34:11 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FZS1000-FAZER-/201777714866?hash=item2efae396b2:g:O74AAOSwa~BYcnKJ

Does this look to bad? OK the silver paint on the engine looks a bit tat but that is fixable, I thought the bike itself looked OK for the price. Would defo give it a full service inc coolant, all filters, Air, Fuel, Oil and of course oil, also change and plugs and most likely replenish the brake fluid fore and aft as well. Nice project for the winter, shit I feel I'm talking myself into something here.  :rolleyes

Hey! I just noticed that Ash has gone very quiet did he buy the red 1K or not
« Last Edit: 11 January 2017, 08:40:36 pm by tommyardin »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11 January 2017, 10:08:18 pm »
Tommy, I've ridden the 600 fairly extensively, when one of my previous thous went in for some repairs, and I was pretty impressed. No need to feel inadequate! But I've been used to a lot of bigger capacity bikes, and I know I'd miss that extra oomph if I didn't have it. In fact, sometimes I do when I'm out on the Striple, even though that thing is a hoot.
Horses for courses mate, tis all it is.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11 January 2017, 10:27:03 pm »
Tommy, I've ridden the 600 fairly extensively, when one of my previous thous went in for some repairs, and I was pretty impressed. No need to feel inadequate! But I've been used to a lot of bigger capacity bikes, and I know I'd miss that extra oomph if I didn't have it. In fact, sometimes I do when I'm out on the Striple, even though that thing is a hoot.
Horses for courses mate, tis all it is.

I could not agree more, hence my lusting after a Gen1 Thou.
I would have to convince her indoors about that though, you see I am a retired old foccer and she is still a hard working school teacher, in other words I am not the bread winner anymore, so of course she should be considered. Especially as I have just spent very close to £600 on the suspension on the baby 600.
The 600 will not ever be sold by me, it is a keeper.
Don't get me wrong if I really wanted a Gen1 I know she would say OK, but I have the 600, I also have my MR2 Spider and my Vauxhall Combo van and she drives around in a scabby old 2003 regd Pug 206 1400 that she refuses to get rid of because it keeps going. I think I might be biting the hand that ................... :D

She cuts me a lot of slack  :D  so she is a keeper as well
« Last Edit: 11 January 2017, 10:30:15 pm by tommyardin »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 11 January 2017, 10:31:21 pm »
You're all heart mate  :lol

JonnyFoxtrot

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 13 January 2017, 01:19:29 pm »
I had a quick look at it , even for 1750 it looked like it's had a hard life  :'(

Wow, just seen this myself. Looks ideal for my budget and I'm not far from London in North Essex.

Do you think its one to avoid going by your comment on it? Price seems a bit too good to be true I thought for a 2005 model. Would be interested to see what people think of that as otherwise colour me interested!

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 13 January 2017, 01:35:28 pm »
I don't think it's one to avoid. If it's what you're looking for and it's within your budget then I would at least go and have a look at it. There are still bargains around and this could be one of them.

I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 13 January 2017, 05:48:02 pm »

Wow, just seen this myself. Looks ideal for my budget and I'm not far from London in North Essex.

Do you think its one to avoid going by your comment on it? Price seems a bit too good to be true I thought for a 2005 model. Would be interested to see what people think of that as otherwise colour me interested!

Colour is appropriate word to use as the 2005 models never came in all black.  Check it very carefully because the paintwork might be indicative of it going down the road quite seriously.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 13 January 2017, 07:11:40 pm »
My first gen one was £1500 Four years ago.....2001, high miles, bit of a dodgy exup, soggy suspension, scabby silver paint, needed tyres, generally suffered a hard life, but I bought it because it was all I could budget too. I ended up wishing I'd spent more on the bike. I could have got mine up to scratch, ivanising, race can, suspension upgrade etc etc but I would have spent a lot if money and it would still be a ropey looking un. This time I spent just 500 quid more ( it was advertised on here for 2250 but the bloke took an offer) and got 2004 bike with reasonable miles, the later black frame and motor, suspension upgraded front and back, nearly new tyres, titanium can and re jetted etc etc...honestly mate, stretch your budget and get a bike that's been looked after and probably enthusiast owned with sensible mods. They are such a good bit of kit you won't want to sell it, so get the best you can.
« Last Edit: 13 January 2017, 07:13:03 pm by ogri48 »

JonnyFoxtrot

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 14 January 2017, 10:17:49 am »
My first gen one was £1500 Four years ago.....2001, high miles, bit of a dodgy exup, soggy suspension, scabby silver paint, needed tyres, generally suffered a hard life, but I bought it because it was all I could budget too. I ended up wishing I'd spent more on the bike. I could have got mine up to scratch, ivanising, race can, suspension upgrade etc etc but I would have spent a lot if money and it would still be a ropey looking un. This time I spent just 500 quid more ( it was advertised on here for 2250 but the bloke took an offer) and got 2004 bike with reasonable miles, the later black frame and motor, suspension upgraded front and back, nearly new tyres, titanium can and re jetted etc etc...honestly mate, stretch your budget and get a bike that's been looked after and probably enthusiast owned with sensible mods. They are such a good bit of kit you won't want to sell it, so get the best you can.
You make a great point, I've rushed into a lot of "good deals" before and got stung and having slept on it I'm taking your advice. I messaged the guy asking for details of damage, bad points etc, and the reg number and simply got a reply back with the reg number so something isn't right!

I do have my eye on one from the forum here which is out of budget but almost the perfect bike so will keep saving for more funds I think.

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 14 January 2017, 02:23:51 pm »
Did Ash buy the bike in the end? Been reading this thread with interest, curious to know the outcome.....

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 14 January 2017, 06:28:45 pm »
Did Ash buy the bike in the end? Been reading this thread with interest, curious to know the outcome.....

I'd guess he either did and is having to much fun to come online or he didn't and has joined the forum of whichever bike he ended up with 🤔🤔

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 14 January 2017, 06:37:48 pm »
You make a great point, I've rushed into a lot of "good deals" before and got stung and having slept on it I'm taking your advice. I messaged the guy asking for details of damage, bad points etc, and the reg number and simply got a reply back with the reg number so something isn't right!

I do have my eye on one from the forum here which is out of budget but almost the perfect bike so will keep saving for more funds I think.
You generally can't go wrong getting one here from a regular. Badger skidT, he's got a belter if you can convince him to sell it :-)