Date: 29-05-24  Time: 03:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

29 May 2024, 03:29:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Members
  • Total Members: 7,335
  • Latest: 1w9
Stats
  • Total Posts: 325,876
  • Total Topics: 27,807
  • Online today: 604
  • Online ever: 1,160
  • (21 May 2024, 01:50:44 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 313
Total: 421
Unknown spider (81)
Unknown robot (19)
Google (2)
Bing (6)

313 Guests, 0 Users (108 Spiders)
Unknown spider (81), Unknown robot (19), Google (2), Bing (6)

Author Topic: Sticky rear brake.  (Read 4880 times)

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Sticky rear brake.
« Reply #25 on: 18 March 2014, 08:08:49 am »
Ah, see what you mean now, that's a good tip  :thumbup

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 March 2014, 01:41:45 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys. I popped the calliper off today and there were a multitude of issues.

The calliper had a lot of crud in it and the pads were catching on the sides, so I gave the runner portions a good clean and scrap out with a blunt screwdriver. I also took a file to the sides of the pads to get the crud and surface rust off.

I Then followed your guide for doing the pistons fuzzy, except using brake cleaner instead of kerosene/brake fluid. Took ages to get the pistons to spin to do the back, but I got there :)

Put it all back together with some liberal pyroplex grease, then copper slipped the back of the pads and built it all up. Also a fair bit of crap on the pins for the pads, so gave them a wee rub with emery too before greasing.

I did your tip as well punk sting and attacked the brake lever pin with release oil, then oiled it with some light oil.

I've not had a chance to get out and test it yet (but I will be leaving for uni soon so will get a good 30 miles to check everything), however, even just on spinning the back wheel and pressing it is night and day, so it appears to have done the trick.

Thanks again :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 March 2014, 01:50:03 pm »
Actually, "punk sting" wasn't even on this post, but it made me laugh anyway.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 March 2014, 02:05:12 pm »
Actually, "punk sting" wasn't even on this post, but it made me laugh anyway.  :lol

ha! apologies Darrsi, I dont know why I thought it wa punkstig (and of course, punk sting is an autocorrect fail and not even a member on here :lol).

Anyway, 'twas a top tip mate, ill need to keep an eye on that bit and keep it clean and well oiled :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 March 2014, 04:06:09 pm »

ha! apologies Darrsi, I dont know why I thought it wa punkstig (and of course, punk sting is an autocorrect fail and not even a member on here :lol ).

Anyway, 'twas a top tip mate, ill need to keep an eye on that bit and keep it clean and well oiled :)

When it's nice and clean and lubed you'll notice how very little you need to tap the foot lever for a good response, and you'll also feel when it clogs up a bit as well in the future, it's very simple but effective.

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 19 March 2014, 04:25:00 pm »
Glad you got it sorted. I don't bother with spinning the pistons, too much effort.

Instead, I remove the metal pad spring insert (know what I mean?) at the bottom of the rear caliper. This allows better access for a toothbrush to clean, or a finger to smear red grease, round the other side of the piston. When you remove the pad spring, it also allows you to clean out any crud caught at the bottom of the caliper. A lot can accumulate there because the caliper has two smallish drainage holes which are then mostly obscured by the pad spring - a design flaw really. Might be worth trying next time -  getting the springy thing out can be tricky to begin with but you'll soon get a knack for it.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19 March 2014, 05:14:11 pm »
I know the spring you mean. Does that just pop put then (I.e. there's no screws or clips holding it in?)

I'll try that next time :)

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 19 March 2014, 05:22:19 pm »
No springs or screws - It's held in by a lip cast into one half of the caliper. So you kinda have to slide it in and out (ooh er) sideways and maneuver it about a little. Once you figure it out it's easy and is quicker than spinning the pistons.