Date: 23-04-24  Time: 20:53 pm

Author Topic: Html and formating issue in posts: Request for more infomation  (Read 4070 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Html and formating issue in posts: Request for more infomation
« on: 25 November 2021, 02:35:09 pm »
Afternoon

Bob and I are looking into this issue that as it stands, a few people are have the issue where -
  • html will get placing into a thread post
  • Or the fonts will be super tiny or have unexspected formatting.
So in order to help us investigate the issue, it would be helpful if we can start by having the following info -
  • Who is having the issue?
  • What OS and browser are they using?
  • What browser plugins/addons to they have installed?
Once we have some users and test cases we can try and replicate the issue. Bob and I currently have multiple different browsers installed so we can test a few permutations.

many thanks
« Last Edit: 27 November 2021, 09:56:22 am by b1k3rdude »

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
Re: Html and formating issue in posts: Request for more infomation
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2022, 10:34:49 am »
I don't come here very often, but am very happy to see this place still up and running. Just like my Fazer.  :)
Love the level of "civility" (is that a correct English term?) in 99.9% of the discussions.

I also saw the post about the admins required. Time is very tight for me, so I can't offer any help that requires time on a regular basis.
But I can recommend quality hosting (having said that, forum seems to run fine where it's currently at, so if the pricing isn't eye-gouging, no need to touch that), help with automating backups to off-site cloud storage (and recommend storage, unless that's all already sorted out), general security, even some basic optimization - for as much as I'm able to.

For a start, Chrome browser is my N01 point for any troubleshooting. If it doesn't all work perfectly from Chrome (as a most-widely used browser, with all its pros and cons), then it's worth fixing, before even giving it a look from another browser (Firefox comes to mind as a popular alternative, with a different "engine").

F12 in Chrome, then going to the network tab, can show if there are some errors. They needn't be show stopping errors, but it's worth trying to fix them if it's not too much of a hassle.

Likewise, to be really thorough, I'd do the same with a decent VPN connection (I like & recommend Windscribe, or Proton VPN).

Also, using Cloudflare (the free tier) is more good than harm in my experience - for extra convenience, speed, security, and lower hosting server load (not that I expect FOC to put a huge load on any remotely decent server, but better, especially if it's free, is worth using).

One thing I caught - nothing remotely serious, but I suppose it's fairly easily solved by editing the link:
index.php?topic=27188.0:73 Mixed Content: The page at 'https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=27188.0' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure image 'http://www.foc-u.co.uk/Themes/Crushing/images/bluefocu.png'. This content should also be served over HTTPS.

For what it's worh, for me the forum works perfectly fine. So far so good. But if you need any help, I'm happy to help with anything I know and can do. As a friend described me: "Ask him for anything, just not for any money."  :)

P.S. Adding Google AdSense ads, in places that aren't too distracting, can still make a forum be financially self-sufficient, i.e. so no one has to pay out of their pocket to keep it running. Without going greedy with any pop-up intrusive ads.

P.P.S. For reducing admin load, Cloudflare can provide decent spam/bot protection for the registration page (which should also prevent most spam post attempts). I'm not sure if the forum software allows the use of Google's reCaptcha spam protection (which is quite good, regardless of what one thinks of Google), but Cloudflare can help with that. Though I expect (hope) that the current registration page is good enough for that (the Kill Bill question should confuse most bots, hopefully :)  ).
« Last Edit: 07 January 2022, 10:43:02 am by Slaninar »
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.