Date: 28-04-24  Time: 07:04 am

Author Topic: Go away snow  (Read 1513 times)

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Go away snow
« on: 24 March 2013, 07:48:49 am »
I love snow but I want to go out on the bike  :(

Bah humbug.

Just letting you know as it's vitally important information.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Re: Go away snow
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2013, 09:52:33 am »
Was down in Cornwall til last Wednesday-almost Spring-like-flowers coming out. Came back to Midlands & considerable temp drop. Collected bike from local dealers Thurs pm-rode home in arctic wind. Snow Friday-mostly thawed by Fri eve then shed loads more overnight & most of yesterday. Sick of running the Gas central heating and looking @ the white stuff outside. Its been a long old winter so hoping for improvement as a few runs lined up for April. Lets hope the Government doesnt decide to announce another drought like last year! :'(

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2013, 12:17:45 pm »
I was supposed to be leading a Ride-out up to Box Hill this morning, but decided to cancel it because of the risk of snow and icy roads :(

Yellowwolf

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - CBR 954RR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2013, 04:53:20 pm »
Feeling your pain  :'( Should have been the first meet of the year for my girly biker group  :\ Got to get better soon !

Liroka

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2013, 01:44:48 pm »
We've been quite lucky up here in the north east. The snow we've had hasn't been able to lie, although it has still been bitterly cold with high winds, especially over the weekend. I live right on the coast and the sea has looked fantastic at times, lashing against the piers, sending spray at least 50 ft in the air. Still not been out on the bike either.  :\

Google Cranium: The Browser For Your Brain.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2013, 01:53:01 pm »
Thanks for the pics. It looks bracing.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2013, 01:53:31 pm »
A friend sent me this the other day - it is a comparison of the weather for the 22nd of March for 2012 and 2013

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 March 2013, 11:04:07 am »
Going into winter I think YES!  There's going to be snow on the hills.

But I remember walking up Beinn Chabhair not far from Crianlarich back at the start of the month, I had my crampons and axe with me but they stayed in my pack, really there wasn't much snow at all, there were even a few summer walkers delighted to have got out and made their first Munro of the year.  I thought that's it, winter is almost over.  I even felt too warm with my winter base layer on when I got back down to Inverarnan.    Soon be time to switch to the lighter stuff I thought.

The following week, the snow was back as I headed up An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin but only on the higher slopes.  Was good snow though, hard and stable, crampons and axe oot of the sack and in use.

But now, the snow is down into the glens and there's loads of it.  Further north on the west coast it's more towards the tops.  Had some time off so headed off and did the Loch Lochy Munros, simple hills but the snow was slabby and not stable, must be well scary on the Nevis range etc.

I headed to Skye to do some walking and maybe explore the Cuillins a little for the first time.  But yup, loads of snow high up, none low down, so I quickly forgot about the Cuillins, unless you are very confident it's not a place for solo winter walking or climbing.

Was going to head to Mull for some easier hills (sure still to be snow) but my rear windscreen on the car shattered.  Not easy to get a replacement on the Islands, could have pressed on but decided to head home.  Bloody cold up North, cold doon here in Ayrshire but generally a bit more sheltered. 

But yeah I've had enougth snow and looking forward to snow free hills, can't be that far off can it?

Also another thing - the weather - it seems to me to be all focced up.  Yup last year this time was weird, we were getting over 20 degrees C some days, again I was off, and on one walk thought that if it got any warmer it would be too warm for me to be walking.

This winter for months on end we've had easterly or north easterly winds.  Usually during a Scottish winter you might get a period of easterly winds, maybe 2 or 3  weeks, no more, plus maybe the odd periods of a day or two, but months - it's most unusual. 

Global warming?  Perhaps.  But one thing for sure, with marked and changing weather patterns, records being broken year on year, crises after crises, well our climate does appear to be changing.

Wonder what the summer will bring.

Patchy snow on Beinn Chabhair a few weeks ago.  Now, if it's soft, you'll be up to your waist in the darn stuff up there.