Date: 19-04-24  Time: 10:16 am

Author Topic: Answer me this...  (Read 7068 times)

jon

• FOC-U Crucifixion Consultant
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - CRF250L, Stage 1 tuned
    • View Profile
Answer me this...
« on: 05 November 2013, 05:29:00 am »
Now its november, the days are getting colder and winter is approaching. I was taught at school that winter comes once a year because the earths trajectory around the sun isn't perfectly round, its slightly oval, so for a few months of the yearly orbit we are further away from the source of heat and thus cooler.

I know that the earth spins on its own axis once every 24 hrs to create day and night, and it orbits the sun once every 365 ish days to create a year, but how come australia has their winter in july and their summer in december??? Surley in December they are just as far away from the sun as we are (minus the diameter of the earth, which is fek all when considering these distances)?
how come the whole planet isnt colder when it is further from the sun and hotter when it is nearer?

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
Re: Answer me this...
« Reply #1 on: 05 November 2013, 06:30:59 am »
First of all Jon, the  diameter of the earth is very significant for us mere mortals. A change of just 10 degrees can make a big difference to us. And if you think about it, from equator to pole (which is just 12,000 or so miles) there is 100 degree tempreture difference at any given time.

As to your question, the earth does not sit on a vertical axis, it is at a 30 degree lean angle (roughly) meaning that either the top half or bottom half of the sphere is closer to the sun. Only my a few thousand miles, but as highlighted above, This makes a significant difference. Obviously is does not oppererate like a swithch either, which is why we get the other seasons, as out location slowly moves closer or farther away from our heat source.

There is a lot of stuff about this sort of thing on YouTube. :)
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 November 2013, 07:24:37 am »
Being closer to, or further away from, the sun has got foc all to do with it. The difference, in percentage terms, is tiny.

What is important, is the tilt from the vertical axis. Think on a beam of light, and for arguments sake, every beam of light is a foot wide. When that beam of light is aimed squarely at a surface, it covers an area a foot wide - but if you start to tilt the surface it's hitting, it suddenly covers a bigger area. So the energy it contains is spread thinner, less energy for a given area, hence it's cooler.

When we're tilted towards the sun, we have summer, and vice versa.

Nosobrut

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2013, 08:19:28 am »
While we're on this subject, how fast would we have to travel to keep riding into a never ending sunset

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2013, 08:27:25 am »
It depends on your altitude above sea level and the latitude of your location. At the equator and at sea level, you would have to be traveling slightly over 1000 miles per hour or about Mach 1.4. This is obviously beyond the capability of the fazer even if it is ivanised  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

risticuss

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2013, 10:19:13 am »
Typing "why do we have seasons" into Google brings up a wealth of images to illustrate the point, as sometimes things can get lost in the explanation. I'm one who needs images to explain something so here's a link to one.

http://d1jqu7g1y74ds1.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/seasonalvariations.jpg

Hope it helps

Liroka

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 November 2013, 10:21:18 am »
Being closer to, or further away from, the sun has got foc all to do with it. The difference, in percentage terms, is tiny.

What is important, is the tilt from the vertical axis. Think on a beam of light, and for arguments sake, every beam of light is a foot wide. When that beam of light is aimed squarely at a surface, it covers an area a foot wide - but if you start to tilt the surface it's hitting, it suddenly covers a bigger area. So the energy it contains is spread thinner, less energy for a given area, hence it's cooler.

In addition, the northern hemisphere is also closer to the sun during 'our' winter.
Google Cranium: The Browser For Your Brain.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 November 2013, 10:50:18 am »
So after all this physics------------------------- do I get my winter gloves out yet?
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 November 2013, 11:29:27 am »
If two snakes get hold of each others tail and keep swallowing, whats left??  ;)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 November 2013, 01:10:37 pm »
Also, what's the square root of -1?
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 November 2013, 01:17:46 pm »
Oh god I've just had a flash back to j notation and complex numbers, but these days although I can whistle the tune I often can't remember the words to most of my college stuff.:-\

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 November 2013, 01:22:53 pm »
Or if you weigh a whale at a whale weigh station, where would you weigh a pie?

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 November 2013, 01:38:22 pm »
Also, what's the square root of -1?

I think i know.  ;)
The Deef's apprentice

Nosobrut

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 November 2013, 02:31:26 pm »
If my fazer could travel faster than the speed of light would the head lights work , or is it all relative

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 November 2013, 03:25:20 pm »
Like has been said before, it's the increased daytime an area gets that determines the season rather than the distance from the sun. The earth is between 91 and 94 million miles away from the sun, and incidentally, closest to the sun during our winter.
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

Ebme Geek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 November 2013, 03:39:12 pm »
Not only the length of day but more the angle the radiation is hitting the ground, another version of what has been already said >>  shine a torch verticaly down onto the floor and you get a nice circle, now angle the torch over and you get a stretched circle covering a much larger area, but the same amount of energy in total, so each bit gets less heating effect.

I think i know.  ;)

Could always express that in Polar notation
   And please nobody mention the 'frequencey domain'
   otherwise we will get into Fourier transforms  :groan 

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 November 2013, 05:31:33 pm »

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 November 2013, 09:14:32 pm »
At last, a man that makes some sense. Bravo caretaker, bravo!! 8)

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 November 2013, 09:30:33 pm »
What type of pie is it?
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 November 2013, 09:51:48 pm »
Typing "why do we have seasons" into Google brings up a wealth of images to illustrate the point, as sometimes things can get lost in the explanation. I'm one who needs images to explain something so here's a link to one.

http://d1jqu7g1y74ds1.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/seasonalvariations.jpg

Hope it helps

Perfect explanation

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 November 2013, 10:02:15 pm »

Thick as I am  the initial statement is flawed.  If you change the angle of a,surface (the earth)  to a fixed point (the sun)  the distance of the sun will increase along the line of the surface. Thus changing the angle. So distance no matter how insignificant must play a part.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #21 on: 05 November 2013, 10:06:07 pm »
How can Australians live their whole lives upside down?    :\
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 November 2013, 11:01:04 pm »
Does it weigh 22/7?:-X

pilgrim

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 November 2013, 11:46:16 pm »
Also take into account the lower elevation of the suns trajectory across the sky during the winter months means that the suns radiative energy is shining through a greater thickness of atmosphere and associated crud/dust etc. Therefore more heat/ light is dissipated and its colder. This is also why the moon looks larger but darker in colour when it has first risen due to the magnifying effect of thicker atmosphere, just like looking at something under water from above the surface. Taking all of this into account leads us to the conclusion that somewhere over the rainbow, weigh a pie. ;)
Its better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 November 2013, 04:04:12 pm »

Thick as I am  the initial statement is flawed.  If you change the angle of a,surface (the earth)  to a fixed point (the sun)  the distance of the sun will increase along the line of the surface. Thus changing the angle. So distance no matter how insignificant must play a part.

Mathematically your point is correct, but seeing how the maximum distance any point on earth can change with the angle in question (i.e. 23.5 degrees) is 1600 miles (the distance between the arctic/antarctic circles and the north/south poles), that's only 0.0017% of the Earth's 91-94 million mile distance from the sun.

Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.