Date: 27-04-24  Time: 17:06 pm

Author Topic: Finding gloves that will fit: harder than usual?  (Read 1048 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Finding gloves that will fit: harder than usual?
« on: 22 January 2024, 05:02:00 am »
So I have regular sized hands (roughly medium to large). I have always had an issue with the fingers in most gloves being too long, but lately the situation seems to have gotten worse. Since 2012 I have been buying Richa Sub Zero waterproof textile gloves because when I could find a pair (free from manufacturing defects), they have always just fitted -

- being textile meant they werent tight across my palm and allowed unrestricted movement of my thumb.
- being textile meant they would dry out quick, unlike leather which would retain moisture.
- has Suede on the palms and sides of the index finger - great for wiping water of the visor or cleaning bugs off.
- has regular cuff length and cuff was reletively thin. So gloves were easy to get under a jack and long enough to never poke out while riding.

So I went to go buy another pair and Richa and stop selling them, instead replacing them with the sub zero 2 glove, which has a shorter cuff length, which for a mid season glove dosent make any sense to me. So over the last few weeks I have tried all the following gloves

- Richa Sonar - to thin thermally, fingers 5mm-15mm too long
- Richa Ice Polar - thick enough, fingers 5mm-10mm too long
- Bering Boogie - to thin thermally, fingers 5mm-10mm too long
- Rev'it Bornite - thick enough, fingers 5mm-15mm too long
- Dainese Livigno  - to tight & to thin thermally, fingers 5mm-10mm too long
- Furygan Ares Evo -  too thin thermally, fingers 5mm-15mm too long
- Alpinestars SR-3 V2 - thick enough, fingers 5mm-15mm too long

I have researched all of what J&S, Infinity has to offer, and have vertually gone through all of Sportbikeshop stock of textile gloves. What frustrates me of is the lack of qaulity control in the sizing, its all over the fc*king place.

So now I am trying out -

- Richa Sub Zero 2 - to see a) weither they will fit or b) if my fears about the cuff length are founded.
- Pharao Quebec WP  - Tried a pair of these on in the Harlow SBS store, they actually fitted, but there were defects in the inner linner. So have bought 3 pairs to get one good pair.

In summary, is anyone else having the same issue with gloves as I am having atm..?

« Last Edit: 22 January 2024, 05:03:11 am by b1k3rdude »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Finding gloves that will fit: harder than usual?
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2024, 08:38:10 am »
I used to have a pair of soft leather gloves that I kept going back to as i couldn't find a suitable replacement pair. Eventually the things were falling apart but i did find another identical pair at one of the stalls at WSB where they were selling off discontinued stock. This was in the days before good internet search engines so a good Google may find you a pair of new old stock somewhere.

Eventually i replaced mine with some Triumph leather gloves which are almost as good.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2024, 09:49:15 am »
Over the years I’ve gained a box full of gloves, that usually I’ve put up with an unsatisfactory fit, until something better fitting, comes along.
I’d say I’m an average medium/large dependent on the make. Over recent years I’ve found the most accurate fit,  have been Rukka, Held and Five. As far as I know Five are purely a glove manufacturer. I’d add Gerbing to the list for heated gloves, but needed a size larger than the one I would have naturally chosen.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2024, 11:20:11 am »
Ive never heard of five, so will give them a look.

They have no presence in the UK.
« Last Edit: 22 January 2024, 11:34:38 am by b1k3rdude »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2024, 01:08:28 pm »
Try these https://www.motolegends.com/held-cold-champ-glove-in-black

I've used these and their predecessors (https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/motorcycle-gloves-reviews/held-twin-ii-2in1-review you might still be able to get these if you hunt around) for about 10yrs ish, best I could find, for fit, performance and value etc, for under hour or so riding in 5* or all
 day for above 5*.   

But do bear in mind and from my own experience of long haul (Germany/UK and West Country/Oxfordshire daily) commuting, it doesn't matter what make/type/expense once the temperature starts going south of 5* nothing will keep you warm for longer than an hour at best.  If you want to keep both warm and dry you need heated, my go to is these are these https://gerbing.co.uk/collections/motorcycle-heated-gloves/products/gerbing-xtreme-urban-heated-motorcycle-glove

Used them in -5*  4- 8 hours, warm hands on mid setting and for 4-5 hours of rain dry hands, had them a good few years.  The only criticism I have is that they are long cuff only.  I always put the jacket cuff over my gloves, I still do with these but my WP has big enough cuffs to accommodate that, many don't.  That said a mate uses them and puts the long cuff over his jacket, using the draw string inner flap on the gloves, he's been on the same rides as me and hasn't got wet.

As for fit I think it's fair to say many of us have the same issues and that the sizing differs not only across the makes but one pair and another of the same make/type.  I've even swap a left/right with another pair in the past to get a better fit, my issue isn't normally finger length, it's thumb and across the knuckles.  As with a lot of things that are made for the masses it's a trade off/compromise in certain areas, I have to learn to adapt to any given trade off/compromise, obviously there's a limit to that and we all have different limits.

Unless you go bespoke, which you can but it's not cheap, you're going to have to compromise.               
« Last Edit: 22 January 2024, 01:38:57 pm by Gnasher »
Later

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2024, 07:59:37 pm »
I think I fit in the Inbetween group, to small for some too big for others, and its not just gloves. The last fleece zip up jacket I bought was from Go Outdoors, for the childrens section. The same style/colour/type was £40 more in the adults.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2024, 08:32:42 pm »
Pharao Quebec WP  - Tried a pair of these on in the Harlow SBS store, they actually fitted, but there were defects in the inner linner. So have bought 3 pairs to get one good pair.

Reject the duff ones as "not of satisfactory quality, not fit for purpose", then buy a few more pairs so you'll have spares for the next few years!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 January 2024, 08:03:46 pm »
Re: Five availability…I bought my first pair from the Five stand at the Excel bike show about 3 years ago. Since then SBS, J&S, Get Geared, Bikers World and Motolegends have become stockists. I believe Five are a French company. The Held 2 in 1 that Gnasher mentioned are excellent. Bought mine from Infinity. The same gloves are sold under the BMW brand.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 January 2024, 10:41:48 pm »
Reject the duff ones as "not of satisfactory quality, not fit for purpose", then buy a few more pairs so you'll have spares for the next few years!
Welp I did just thst with 3 pairs, had to send them all back as the thumbs in all 3 pairs had a stiching defect.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2024, 10:46:05 pm »
@gnasher and @robbo,

- So I have looked at all of helds gear, its all leather and non of the gloves have regular cuffs, its either too long or too short :-/ That and not all the held range come in short finger lengths annoyingly...
- Had a look on SBS at the five range, found one pair that fit my requirments aaaannd, that only have one size left. And for the money Five want and there is no gortex...
« Last Edit: 23 January 2024, 10:50:13 pm by b1k3rdude »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2024, 11:01:19 pm »
I brought a pair of Alpine stars GP something or other - summer gloves and I am a medium all day long in everything but I had to take the medium back and swap for a large, which I have to say are a perfect fit for me. I sat for hours with the medium clenching my fist trying to see if they would bed in a bit but nah, put the L on and straight away a good fit.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 January 2024, 02:49:25 pm »
@gnasher

- So I have looked at all of helds gear, its all leather

The pair I've suggested are not.   The palm, little and ring fingers are made of goat skin as is across the knuckle armour of the glove, the rest is Taslan, a very cleaver woven fabric mix with high wear, water repellency.  Goat skin is tougher and softer than cow hide weight for weight, therefore can be thinner, is more water repellent than cow hide and it dries faster.  I've used mine in 4 hours plus of continuous rain, the don't get heavy or have that wetted out feel you get with leather, they dry out to a damp level in at room temperature after about 4 hours, almost dry after a day in office/work place.  This can be further increased by regular cleaning and reproofing, with those spray on proofers.  A stated I wouldn't use these if I was planning on very long and cold rides, I'd use the Gerbing.               

and non of the gloves have regular cuffs, its either too long or too short :-/

As stated in my reference to Gerbing and their cuff lengths, I prefer to have the glove cuff under my jacket, the held gloves fits under mine without issues.  Sadly many jackets aren't cut well these days, often too short in the arm length and/or the cuff circumference isn't big enough to allow longer/winter cuff gloves to be placed under them.  The other issue can be back/chest armour, many jackets aren't sold with back armour/chest in place, rather it has to be bought as an extra.  People try on the jacket even sitting on a bike or frame in the shop testing the sleeve length and across the back/chest fit, but they don't do it with the optional back/chest armour fitted, once either or both are fitted the sleeve length is now too short!   

That and not all the held range come in short finger lengths annoyingly...

Don't know about that, all I can say is I've recommended Held cold champ glove to many males and females of all sizes, no one as yet has complained about fit.  Some have moved to a larger or smaller size than their last make of glove but all have got a good fit. 

- Had a look on SBS at the five range, found one pair that fit my requirments aaaannd, that only have one size left. And for the money Five want and there is no gortex...

Never tried Five or currently know anyone who has, so can't comment with experience.  Looking at their range, which on the face looks good, but price is telling me their not going to cut it with the top range Held kit, but I could well be wrong.  Assuming you're looking for a winter glove?  Gortex is approx half the other half is something they call Drytech, Bit puzzled about availability though Sporstbikeshop appear to carry all their range and as you no doubt know you can try before you buy, use them a lot these days.  Plus there's no quibble with returns.  They're a few others stockist, but they appear not to stock the whole range.   
« Last Edit: 24 January 2024, 06:01:56 pm by Gnasher »
Later