Date: 17-05-24  Time: 07:58 am

Author Topic: Goodbye gen2 Hello s1r  (Read 7326 times)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye gen2 Hello s1r
« Reply #25 on: 28 May 2014, 05:56:45 pm »
My wife just said i can have one !!!!yey

when she gets more foster kids in :'( ,,,have to rent a bigger house,, this one only has five bed rooms :lol

Just tell her you will park it in the garage :lol

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 May 2014, 06:34:07 pm »
Thanks for the comments

Janet, it is a bit taller than the gen2, I have the comfort seat fitted & that's about 20mm higher again. It's definitely at least 30mm higher seating position than the gen2. At only 5'6" I'm on tiptoes but have been with all my bikes. I agree with what you mean by being sat on, rather than in, so I've fitted some 30mm risers to compensate. Taller, by that I mean normal sized peeps wouldn't notice.

Drax, the sports version has gold forks & the standard version has black forks. I'm running it in by motomans method & have been upto full rpm a few times & boy does it shift. Out on it Sunday I thought it was going to pull my arms out of the sockets, the upright riding position is partly responsible for that of course.
Apparently, it depends upon the dealer whether they remove the limiter on the pdi, mine is thankfully. Some people mistake the change gear light for the running in limit. It's not & in anycase the shift light can be set by the rider.

Handling wise, it's a joy to throw around, a proper riders bike this one. I have a 30 mile route around where I live that I have some fun on, it has almost zero traffic on the backroads so ideal. The way this bike, at speed, just takes it all in it's stride is amazing & when, like on a particularly fast left, right, left over a crest the ASC ( automatic stability control) warning light flashes you just know you're pushing on. Stunning.

Then, back onto the dual carriageway, push a button to soften the damping, another to put on the heated grips & another to set the cruise control.
Tell me what there isn't to like.  :)

Meant to add: I do agree that this could be the bike to move from the gen2 to. Well I did. Also bmw are bringing out an adventure bike based upon this engine etc next year, I bet that will be a big seller.

« Last Edit: 28 May 2014, 06:40:06 pm by DekF »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 May 2014, 11:08:53 pm »
Sounds like an awesome bike, Dek - very pleased for you. :)

A mate has one and is equally impressed and he's had some quick bikes over the years.  He's no slouch as a rider, either.  His friend also bought one and has just had a repair bill of over £2000 ... seems like ABS, ASC, TLA and so wasn't able to save his wallet completely. ;)

Love the matt blue finish - enjoy!

Mike

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 31 May 2014, 10:38:13 pm »
Nice bike you have there ;)  Did you consider the Aprilia tuono v4r. I utterly love mine :)  I wanted something different from an in line 4 and it didn't disappoint. I'm sure your bike is an absolute cracker like mine. Our bikes appears to be the way top notch bikes are going these days :)
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 June 2014, 09:08:24 pm »
Thanks Mike, it has taken something special to get me to part with the fazer, having owned both gen1 & gen2 over the last 10 years.
The s1r has 24 months warranty so I'm surprised your mate has been stung, unless you mean the s1rr.
I'm sure you'd love it as a riding experience but like me be frustrated by the fact that there's not a lot that can be done to it in the home garage apart from the menial tasks like checking tyre pressures etc. All is forgotten once out on the road though :-)

Nick, you have a superb bike, it's certainly sexy, I just hope you don't suffer from the well documented problems that beset some. In tests there's nothing to choose between the 1290, v4 & s1r & they are the cream of the crop :-)

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/in_thrust_we_trust/

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 05 June 2014, 12:29:02 am »
You are right regarding the small differences between the bikes.  I have never enjoyed the drive and sound of a bike like my tuono v4. Regarding reliability i have only had condensation inside headlight that was dealt with quickly. On the aprilia forums 99% of people absolutely love the bike with only a few people having issues with waiting for parts etc.. I hope you have an absolute riot on your bm as i have on my Aprilia ;)

Swings and roundabouts :lol
« Last Edit: 05 June 2014, 12:37:02 am by nickodemon »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05 June 2014, 06:05:57 am »

The s1r has 24 months warranty so I'm surprised your mate has been stung, unless you mean the s1rr.

I'd be surprised if the warranty covers throwing it into the kitty litter on a track day, mate ... ;)

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05 June 2014, 11:55:45 am »
Beemer warranty is the best there is.
On my last two, ANY problems that reared their ugly head was dealt with under warranty, not one question asked.
A good example, I had a battery die on me in Portugal. I didn't fancy a 3hr drive to Faro to go to the bike dealers so I went to a Beemer car dealership instead, they ordered the battery and it was delivered to the car dealership at no cost.
Try that with your Honda or Suzuki...

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 06 June 2014, 09:10:25 pm »
You are right regarding the small differences between the bikes.  I have never enjoyed the drive and sound of a bike like my tuono v4. Regarding reliability i have only had condensation inside headlight that was dealt with quickly. On the aprilia forums 99% of people absolutely love the bike with only a few people having issues with waiting for parts etc.. I hope you have an absolute riot on your bm as i have on my Aprilia ;)

Have you seen Performance Bikes this month Nick? They put Michael Rutter on a Tuono and even though he only had 6 laps, he damn near matched the Fireblade SP's time around Mallory, and that even included a missed gear or two.

Awesome bike. I must start saving...

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06 June 2014, 10:32:56 pm »
Thanks for the heads up. I better buy it then ;)

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 15 June 2014, 09:20:13 am »
couple of points-
1. with power comes responsibility !..160 bhp at rear wheel is a huge figure. IMO much of the time it will need tcs to avoid wheelspin .Personally where do ya draw the line ? ..is 170 bhp better ???..would that make 160 bhp bikes " crap" ?

2. yes bmw warranty is good, but after my awful 2 yrs with the GS, it bloody needs to be. I have met so many people with beemers  especially the LC GS and K1600GTs who have had dreadful problems. Now then, what do you do when the bmw warranty runs out ? Aftermarket ones are not as comprehensive, but the problems wont necessarily go away.I hope the 4 cylinder bikes are better , as they are based on the 05 gixxer ...maybe so. But I have been put off bmw sad to say. Are they just trying too hard with so many new bikes .They never offered me extra warranty on my bike, after all my complaints and warranty claims  about vibey engine and failing electrics...maybe they knew something I didn't ! I have to say I have never had so many issues with any other new bike I have owned, and that is a fair few...

I was very impressed with the chassis and kit on the S1000R , but I just felt it too intense for my road riding these days...never thought I would ever say that ! Even on lowest power mode it felt fast .All other traffic seemed to be in slow motion ! It is a bike for adrenaline junkies, and those with  a lot of self control !..I wonder how long rear tyres will last !  :eek..with my two other super nakeds I owned it was only 1500 miles on sport rubber , this bike has 30 bhp more...
However I am keen to see just what the " adventure bike" will be. It kinda rubs up against the whole GS thing , so maybe it will be more a flat barred faired sportsbike alternative ??..they also are bringing out a R1200ST again so it seems...or are folk getting confused over new models ?

I also wonder just how the other manufacturers will react to BMW dominating the power end of the market ?

chaparral02

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - DiamondBack Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 15 June 2014, 11:02:36 am »
I also wonder just how the other manufacturers will react to BMW dominating the power end of the market ?
And the new BMW s1000r is also priced very cheap.....

Roughly exactly the same price as a brandnew FZ1 fazer
« Last Edit: 15 June 2014, 11:05:36 am by chaparral02 »
08 Graphite Grey FZ1 ABS..
Yoshi CF R-77 Full system, FCE, Ivans Flies, PC-V + Autotune Kit, DNA Aifilter & Airbox Mod, Speedo healer ,16T front gen1 sprocket,
Sargent front & rear seats, Fender eliminator, CA Intergated Rear Led, MRA Vario Screen , Givi mono rack & V46 topbox

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 19 June 2014, 07:11:20 am »
yes, but that is the " base" model.
Almost nobody buys base models with bmw....so best to compare the £11300 model. Its still not the most expensive, comparing like with like though.

I traded my Gs for  a 14 plate speed triple. Its fast enough for me, and has abs which is all the electronics I want.I wanted a characterful engine / feel over sheer bhp. Its why I wouldn't be interested in a busa or ZZR14.......I got a good deal, so its saved me almost £3k over buying a S1000R. You just have to decide how much power you want / need. Even running the speedy in, with a 7k max limit, is still 120mph...almost the GS 's top speed....for this type of bike 140 mph is plenty...IMHO.

Its an easier choice for me since I still have my full monty gen1, which is still way quicker than I ever need. So I can pick what I want in my second bike. But I can see why so many are buying the S1000R....just as so many bought the R1, Blade, gixxer 1000, S1000RR at their launches....who knows what I will look at next ?....rocket 3 ??.... :lol