Date: 19-05-24  Time: 21:49 pm

Author Topic: Front discs need replacing  (Read 2271 times)

ajhutchinson

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Kawasaki zx9r B4 + Versys 1000
    • View Profile
Front discs need replacing
« on: 11 July 2012, 02:49:46 pm »
Hi all, Front discs need replacing on my Gen1.  Seen many types and manufactures on Ebay, been looking at the ones from Hongkong, but unsure of the quality.  Has anyone on the forum tried them and what did you think??  If not does anyone have any suggestions has to where to get a set from at reasonable cost, dont have a large budget.  All help on this matter greatly appreciated. Many thanks for reading. Hutch

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Front discs need replacing
« Reply #1 on: 11 July 2012, 02:54:17 pm »
I've heard many a horror story from cheap parts from China/Japan and when it comes to brakes I really wouldn't want to take any chances.

I've learnt that in all things with life, you get what you pay for but I would at least stick to a known brand that's preferrably UK/European and you know you should get decent enough quality.

Rustyz nutzz

• CBT Wobbler
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - R1 - modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2012, 02:59:16 pm »
With B.C on this one Aj, ebc I'd go for but tbh they ain't cheap either.

I did try a Armstrong rear wavy disc to tart the R1 up a bit on the rear and that comes with a 12 mth warranty no probs so far.
If it's got more than 2 wheels it's a car!

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 July 2012, 03:02:59 pm »
I've had Armstrong waveys front and rear for about 2 years/10k miles.  No problems but I'm not a heavy braker by any means.  TBH, apart from looks and perhaps a bit of unsprung weight, they offer no discernible improvement in braking over the stock discs.

There must be thousands of the standard discs in breakers by now as Yamaha used them on so many models from the original R1 onwards to around 2005 - and possibly beyond.

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 July 2012, 05:15:32 pm »
I think I have a new pair of stainless steel discs I bought some time ago. I could have a hunt around tonight if you are interested?

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2012, 08:24:01 pm »
Blimey. New discs on a Fazer? I've got 92k up and they're still within service limits.

I've just stuck some EBCs on my other bike and 4k miles up and they're doing fine. I went for the EBC XC series with the clever oblong button rivet mounting which supposedly prevents warping. Got them from Demon Tweaks. Not as cheap as Armstrongs, but not that much more expensive and certainly cheaper than Galfer, PFM, Brembo etc. Cheap Chinese stuff - I dunno. I did a lot of research trying to get the best bang for my buck and not all of the chinese discs were horror stories. But then again, some did have the rivets coming loose and so on.

Only problem with EBCs is they say using non EBC pads invalidates the warranty. I wonder how that would stand up in court though. I suspect it wouldn't.

But Fazer discs are the same as early R1 and FJR discs, I believe, and there's shedloads of second hand ones on eBay. £100 quid should net you a pair.

ajhutchinson

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Kawasaki zx9r B4 + Versys 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 July 2012, 10:35:22 pm »
Hello old son, you have a PM. hutch

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2012, 11:49:32 am »
I'd be reluctant to buy second hand discs on Ebay unless accompanied by loads of photo's showing really decent quality close ups from all angles. Postage would be expensive, especially sending back a crap pair?

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2012, 12:45:04 pm »
I'd be reluctant to buy second hand discs on Ebay unless accompanied by loads of photo's showing really decent quality close ups from all angles. Postage would be expensive, especially sending back a crap pair?

Mickey

Been there, done that!  :rolleyes