Date: 29-05-24  Time: 16:07 pm

Author Topic: Kevlar pads; thoughts and opinions  (Read 1136 times)

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Kevlar pads; thoughts and opinions
« on: 24 May 2012, 07:55:14 pm »
Need to do a full brake overhaul this week, seals 'n all as the winter kicked seven bells out of 'em.
Thanks to the fabulous forty driver I now know they are kinda spongy due to my closing speed being slightly higher than I thought...
 :o ;)

So, I'm going to be replacing the pads and usually go for EBC HH sintered (alhtough I cheated and fitted cheap goldfren ones last time, won't be doing that again), but saw kevlar ones online.

Iirc they are less well wearing, but anyone running them want to pitch in with thoughts on feel and overall stopping power?
Cheers.
Aegis.

eddie

• FOC-U Lost Boy.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Kevlar pads; thoughts and opinions
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2012, 04:51:43 pm »
you have to keep them hot i believe so more of a track day pad...keep with what you know

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2012, 06:28:36 pm »

So, I'm going to be replacing the pads and usually go for EBC HH sintered (alhtough I cheated and fitted cheap goldfren ones last time, won't be doing that again

I did the exactly the same, the goldfren pads take a mighty squeeze to pull up smartly, one might almost begin to describe them as...crap.
 I too went back to EBC HH and am happy again. Stick with te devil you know.

pilgrim

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2012, 12:40:57 am »
Here's my quick 2 pennurth for what its worth..........
Tried some Kevlar EBC jobbies in the past. Seem to remember some waffle on the packaging about being asbestos free and therefore friendly to the environment. And they had a green backing plate, which made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :)
Fairly sure that inner glow would have dissappeared after I slammed into something that I should have stopped ten yards short of with HH sintered pads :eek
In a word, adequate, and thats being generous.
Mate of mine who does a bit of racing has recently given the thumbs up to Armstrong HH pads, so trying a pair on the back at the mo. ( 16 quid off that there eBay thing) Not bedded in yet but will let you know whats what and whats not soon as.
Hope that helps a little.

PS. Did you know that Goldfren is actually an anagram of ' ohshitohshitohshiti'mgoingtofuckingdieaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhh' ?
Been there, done that, never,ever, again :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek

Stick with HH ones.
Mate of mine who does a bit of racing has recently given the thumbs up to Armstrong HH pads, trying some on the back at the mo, but not bedde in yet. Will let you know.
Hope that helps
Its better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake.

pilgrim

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2012, 12:44:39 am »
Is that echo? Or reverb? Could never quite work out the difference :o
Oh no, its ok, just San Miguel :b
Its better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2012, 01:50:31 pm »
PS. Did you know that Goldfren is actually an anagram of ' ohshitohshitohshiti'mgoingtofuckingdieaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhh' ?

ROFLMAO!