Date: 21-05-24  Time: 20:16 pm

Author Topic: Fzs 600/1000 tail and seat cowl  (Read 1264 times)

Kamikaze

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Fzs 600/1000 tail and seat cowl
« on: 30 August 2017, 04:19:25 am »
So I own a 2000 model fzs600 originally fitted with the wide grab rail. When my chain snapped it kicked up and smashed the left side and I replaced it with the tail plastics of an earlier gen 1 with the bar grab rail as the holes are a different size from early to late gen 1.

Now I want to fit a seat cowl and found a bargain one and snapped it up.
But now that it arrived it doesn't look like it fits. Having a quick look seems to be the right shape and light it lines up but the mounting point holes do not. They look further apart than the holes on the bike.
Could this be a cowl for a 1000?
Are the tails mounting holes different on the 1000?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Fzs 600/1000 tail and seat cowl
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2017, 11:40:31 am »
So I own a 2000 model fzs600 originally fitted with the wide grab rail. When my chain snapped it kicked up and smashed the left side and I replaced it with the tail plastics of an earlier gen 1 with the bar grab rail as the holes are a different size from early to late gen 1.

Now I want to fit a seat cowl and found a bargain one and snapped it up.
But now that it arrived it doesn't look like it fits. Having a quick look seems to be the right shape and light it lines up but the mounting point holes do not. They look further apart than the holes on the bike.
Could this be a cowl for a 1000?
Are the tails mounting holes different on the 1000?

I used to have a cowl for a couple of hours (I fitted it and diddnt like it ) I wonder if its the same one doing the rounds  :D if it all lines up and fits then im sure that a 1000 one would be very different and would not fit in anyway.
I dont know of anyone on here who has a seat cowl fitted to a 600, for me it just looked wrong - un weildy fat and bulky, what I did in the end was remove the grab rail and cover the holes and the move the numberplate right up, mabe its because my bike is black that the cowl didn't work for me.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Kamikaze

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2017, 01:12:27 pm »
well i havent pulled the grab rail off, only sat it in place over the rail, just to see how it looked.
it looks like one of the grab rail holes lines up on each side but not the other. thats whats puzzling me. the fact that its the holes not lining up despite the shape appearing to be spot on.

Kamikaze

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2017, 03:28:07 pm »
meant to say i saw your bike in another post and do like the look of the all black with no rail. if this doesnt work out i'll be doing the same. its an excuse for the ladies to have to scoot up close and tight if they do join me for a spin too.

in the mean time, i think i've managed to find a bit more info.
there are definitely seat cowls for the fzs600 that are direct bolt on, but there are also ones that have brackets included to mount them.
a member here had one for sale a few years ago and looks like the actual one im holding here by his pic, and in his ad states that brackets are included. theres no maker though but i think it may be tcp aerodynamics. anyone know if they are still in business?
pics to follow