Date: 08-05-24  Time: 02:48 am

Author Topic: RAN OUT OF PETROL MULTI GAUGE INCORRECT!!  (Read 2631 times)

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
RAN OUT OF PETROL MULTI GAUGE INCORRECT!!
« on: 03 December 2011, 09:33:59 pm »
Ayup chaps, yeah i ran out of petrol lucky for me it was as i was pushing it out my shed for its weekly clean even tho its not moved a wheel  :b  .  Nah than the multi gauge stated i had 2-litres left! when it took its last breath and died, so i set about seeing what the prob was and removed tank and sender it seemed the contacts on the sender was not sitting at its lowest point due to the plastic shroud it must have never been right so i fixed that and sender gauge now reads 0 for empty, now when i fitted everything back and filled tank i noted i had to put 2.5 litres in before it even started to read on the gauge, so i took sender out and bent sender to take into account the reading, when i installed the tank again i put a 1-litre in and nothing and so put 250ml in and the gauge registered this, i than ran bike up until gauge read 0 took tank off and drained fuel to see how much left in 1-litre was what came out, i also noted the sender is within mm from touching the tank base.

So my question does the tank hold fuel due to the shape that does not register on the fuel gauge.

Dave  :D

justy1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - fzs 600 98
    • View Profile
Re: RAN OUT OF PETROL MULTI GAUGE INCORRECT!!
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2011, 10:39:05 pm »
thats worrying as im in the middle of rigging up a multi gauge to mine.  :\

justy1000

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2011, 12:59:05 am »
Ayup justy, i dont think the multi is at fault however i do think its more sensitive, i think the tank sender is/or was the problem maybe not set up correctly, the way its set now the tank float is mm from the base of the tank and there is still 1-litre left in the tank but the multi gauge now reads 0 so its probably about right now nxt step ill ride it till dry and see if it correctly set up  :\
The 2nd gen1 i had also had similar probs with the stock gauge misreading what was in the fuel tank and i had to set the sender up on that bike as well.

Dave  :D

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2011, 07:44:16 am »
I read once that if the tank gets tipped over , the sender has to be reset. My stock fuel gauge always goes onto reserve when I have more than 4 litres left, so mine aint reading right.I have removed the tank completely once or twice, so it could have been that.

Didnt even know you had ridden a gen2 dave....let alone owned 2 of them ??    :eek

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 December 2011, 07:55:39 am »
More coffee required, JP. ;)

He means his second Gen 1, not his 2nd Gen Fazer. :)

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 December 2011, 08:37:34 am »
its specs I need, m8, not coffee !    :lol
mind you ...maybe it is time for dave to do his bling stuff on the gen2 !  :eek

mikelockyer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2011, 01:08:00 pm »
Fazer thou Gen1 Petrol Guage. Mine reads perfect. I have checked a long time ago. The handbook reads "When the needle reaches E approx 4 litres of fuel remain in the fuel tank. My check some time ago - the reserve light came on just before a fuel stop and I filled up with 16.9 litres. Plus the 4 litres reserve totals 20.9 litres. As the tank capacity is 21 litres you can see there is very little error. Leave well alone then you will have some 30 miles or more with the reserve light on before you have to panic. I have had 2 of this model now and they have both been the same. Happy Xmas. Mike
Mike Lockyer

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2011, 06:17:41 pm »
Mike, my bike does not have the original gauge its fitted with the multi gauge, and my bike ran out of fuel when it stated i had 2 litres left in the tank, ive since sorted the problem with buying another sender of evilbay for a couple quid and putting a slight bend in the sender, this has sorted it and now reads hopefully bang on.

Cheers Dave  ;)